In the FCS Huddle: Maybe it's time to split up

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - The overall growth of super conferences across the FCS has gone largely unnoticed in the last decade.

What isn't hard to overlook, however, is when your favorite team is looking up in the standings and there's, say, nine, 10, 11 teams above it.

Unlike on the FBS level, the FCS conferences with bulky standings don't appear overly interested in breaking into two divisions.

As recently as 2006, there were only two FCS conferences that had 10 or more football members, and both - the Colonial Athletic Association (formerly the Atlantic 10) and the Southwestern Athletic Conference - were split into divisions.

Today, seven of the 13 FCS conference have 10 or more teams, yet only the SWAC is split into divisions - five teams in each - and it plays to a championship game, won last year by Alcorn State.

On the FBS level, a whopping 10 conferences have 10 or more teams and seven of them use two divisions. Most lead into a championship game between division winners.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/03/26/in-fcs-huddle-maybe-it-time-to-split-up/

The SWAC would be better served, in my opinion with 4 more schools not having to be HBCU's,and keeping the divisions.

I think the SWAC can take or leave expansion at this point in time. We're ahead of the curve in terms of having divisions as well as a championship game on the FCS level. However, I wish Langston was a little larger and stable. That attempted move to the SIAC show a little hunger by them but not the best thing geographically. I can see them developing nice rivalries with UAPB, PV & TXSO. Eastern footprint TNST for AAMU or FAMU and BCU for the Bamas. With the Florida package we would have to move Alcorn to the SWAC West.

Back