Hundreds Turn Out For 'Michael Tinsley Day' at JSU

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
6-15-2006

Hundreds Turn Out For 'Michael Tinsley Day' at JSU
By Henry Goolsby
JSU Athletic Media Relations

JACKSON, Miss. ? She tried her best, but Billie Tinsley couldn?t control her emotions Thursday morning as she sat on the patio of the Walter Payton Recreation and Wellness Center.

Tears streamed down her face as she listened, one-by-one, to guest speakers talk about her only son, who was the main attraction during ?Michael Tinsley Day? at Jackson State University. More than 350 turned out to congratulate JSU track and field star Michael Tinsley, who won the school?s first individual outdoor national title on June 10 at the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Sacramento, Calif.

Governor Haley Barbour sent a certificate of merit to Tinsley for his accomplishments. Jackson Mayor Frank Melton gave Tinsley the key to the city. The Jackson City Council presented him with a resolution commemorating his historic accomplishment. And JSU Athletics Director Robert Braddy presented him with a two-feet tall trophy, and showed him the banner that will hang from the rafters inside the Lee. E. Williams Athletics and Assembly Center.

?I did not know that all of this was going to happen when I told that boy to get out of my house (four years ago) and go to school,? Ms. Tinsley said. ?It?s kind of overwhelming when you have the mayor, the president (Ronald Mason, Jr.) and all these other high-profile people coming to congratulate your son.?

As an added bonus, Institution of High Learning commissioner Dr. Thomas Meredith stopped by to join in the festivities. He applauded Tinsley for his accomplishment and presented him the citation from the governor?s office.

After taking it all in, Tinsley thanked everybody involved with his career ? on and off the track. He gave special thanks to his family, teammates, coaches and friends. As a token of his appreciation, Tinsley sat patiently for two hours after the event and autographed hundreds of commemorative posters during a reception, where highlights of his title-winning race on CBS television was shown on a large projector screen.

JSU men?s track and field coach Dr. Edmond Donald said the event was the most proud moment he?s had so far during his tenure at JSU.

?This was monumental,? he said. ?It all seemed so surreal to me. It couldn?t have happened to a better person. I?m pleased with the outpouring of support he?s received. This has been the best day in my seven years here at JSU.?

Tinsley had to pause for a moment before putting the day into perspective.

?I was just trying to keep my composure while sitting up there, looking out into the audience and seeing my mom crying,? he said. ?We?ve been through so much. It?s truly a blessing.?

Next up, Tinsley, who is expected to turn pro in the near future, will compete in the USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships June 21-25 at Indianapolis, Ind. The event is scheduled to be televised by ESPN2, so check local listing for airing times.

http://www.jsutigers.com/sports/outdoor_track_m/195

Jafus (Thinker) said:
He will make it because he is determined to go the extra mile. Way to run dude! Everything is so Awesome. Tinsley rocks the house!:uzi:

This is how WE do it
tin444.jpg

SWAC athlete of the decade.....no doubt

Back