How would you rate the football coaching jobs in the SWAC?

Why would APR effect the quality of a job. The #1 criteria should be resources spent on the product.

If I was about to coach a team, I would want to walk in with penalties. Look at Asberry at TxSo. He would probably be doing a better job but he has been under sanctions. That was not a smart move for him.

I ranked mine on recent success (past 20 years), facilities, budget, fan support, and name recognition.

1. Southern University

2. Jackson State University

3. Prairie View A&M (once that new stadium is built)

4. Alabama State University

5. Grambling

6. Texas Southern

7. Alcorn

8. Alabama A&M

9. UAPB

10. Valley

I think you could really debate the placement of the Top 5 depending on the criteria you choose.

Last edited:

I ranked mine on recent success (past 20 years), facilities, budget, fan support, and name recognition.

1. Southern University

5. Grambling

6. Texas Southern

7. Alcorn

8. Alabama A&M

9. UAPB

10. Valley

I think you could really debate the placement of the Top 5 depending on the criteria you choose.

Grambling at 5th? 6 championships since 2000, biggest name in the SWAC, 2nd highest salary in the SWAC, multi-million dollar football budget, major fundraising campaign on the horizon and plays in at least 3 of the top attended FCS games annually ranked 5th? Eddie Robinson's program ranked 5th?

there are other factors which makes a job attractive once the games stop

1. Location of the school
2. Quality of Life
3. Educational system/amenities for the family
4. State income tax
5. Will you get a chance to do your job and not let fans dictate the action
6. facilities
7. school reputation academically
8. proximity to FBS programs and JUCOs for feeder systems
9. housing costs

you add those factors in and that alters the list tremendously

Grambling at 5th? 6 championships since 2000, biggest name in the SWAC, 2nd highest salary in the SWAC, multi-million dollar football budget, major fundraising campaign on the horizon and plays in at least 3 of the top attended FCS games annually ranked 5th? Eddie Robinson's program ranked 5th?
You realize my opinion doesn't have to be same as yours right? Yes I have Grambling ranked 5th. Also if you look at the bottom of my post, I said the top 5 rankings could be debated depending on your criteria. Location, home attendance, and Grambling's recent history of running off successful coaches has them ranked 5th in my opinion.PV's location in the metro-Houston area along with their resources(being apart of that A&M system has perks) and building that new football stadium has them higher on my list. Alabama State has the best facilities in the SWAC and is spending more on athletics than anyone else in the conference. SU and JSU are easily 1 and 2 in my mind right now.

1. Southern University

5. Grambling

6. Texas Southern

7. Alcorn

8. Alabama A&M

9. UAPB

10. Valley

gram has to be in the top 3. Also PV lacks fan support and tradition.

gram has to be in the top 3. Also PV lacks fan support and tradition.
While true, their resources and location is what put them higher up on my list. With that new stadium and the right coach, PV could be a heavy-hitter on our level. Grambling has the tradition, but their location and resources don't come anywhere near matching what PV could potentially bring to the table(A&M system >>>>>>>>>UL system)

While true, their resources and location is what put them higher up on my list. With that new stadium and the right coach, PV could be a heavy-hitter on our level. Grambling has the tradition, but their location and resources don't come anywhere near matching what PV could potentially bring to the table(A&M system >>>>>>>>>UL system)
Dont believe the hype. PV didn't even fully fund football, had less than 63 scholarships.

If I was about to coach a team, I would want to walk in with penalties. Look at Asberry at TxSo. He would probably be doing a better job but he has been under sanctions. That was not a smart move for him.
So if Alabama had NCAA problems it wouldn't be a great job. When Saban took over, they were on probation.

1. Grambling: The Name Everybody Knows! 23 SWAC Titles, 14 BCF Titles,
2. Southern: Easy to recruit south LA, 19 SWAC Titles, 9 BCF Titles
3. PV: Alumni/TX A&M support, New Stadium coming, 11 SWAC Titles, 5 BCF Titles
4. J State: Small City, Big Stadium crowd, Should be able to get kids who can't go to Ole Miss or Miss State, 3SWAC Titles, 3 BCF Titles
5. Bama State: Best on-campus Facilities

there are other factors which makes a job attractive once the games stop

1. Location of the school

2. Quality of Life
3. Educational system/amenities for the family
4. State income tax
5. Will you get a chance to do your job and not let fans dictate the action
6. facilities
7. school reputation academically
8. proximity to FBS programs and JUCOs for feeder systems
9. housing costs

you add those factors in and that alters the list tremendously

I agree. At the end of the day...Coaching is a job. And like any job that most of us would consider accepting, Texas would be far more attractive than any other SWAC state. Living in and raising a family in Mississippi, Northern LA, Alabama etc is a tougher sell than Metro Houston. Low cost of living, no income tax, quality of life, and housing costs are things that most people consider when relocating and a head coach would be no different.

#1 = JACKSON STATE: Best stadium in the division. Centrally located within the conference. Good fanbase but can be bat azz crazy at times. The potential to be a top 1-AA program is there but needs more effort from both the fans and adminstration.

#8 = ALABAMA A&M: Some places are just not football schools and this is one of them. I can't see why any coach would want to coach there. There was a time when the program looked to be headed in the right direction but not anymore.

It always amazes me how you always put your school so far above other schools but I guess that is the true Tigerpride in you. I respect that. If this where in the years of 1970-1998, I would say your statement about JSU is right on point. My argument is that the JSU that you are so proud about is not the JSU of old.

As for your evaluation of AAMU as a coaching job, me being a proud fan is willing to admit that from 99 to the present (eligible for a SWAC title) we have indeed been as Average and Mediocre as a program can be. I don't like it but it is what is. However, even in our Average and Mediocrity, JSU is no better than us or any other school and we are no better than you guys. In fact, except for Valley, all of the programs in the East are pretty much tit-for-tat with JSU, AAMU, Bama State, & now Alcorn winning just one SCG since it's inception.

Grambling will always be the top job in the SWAC purely based off prestige

Prestige is defined by others' perception of you rather than your own. Having said that, it'll be hard to place Gram or SU at or even near the top with the anticipated reductions that you're about to encounter thanks to Jindal. When is LA's next gubernatorial (sp?) vote?

So if Alabama had NCAA problems it wouldn't be a great job. When Saban took over, they were on probation.

Would you want to coach in the SEC with restrictions? BAMA didn't even run thru the SEC last year, with restrictions.. like 5 year restrictions, they would look like Arkansas. Nah, I would pass.

It always amazes me how you always put your school so far above other schools but I guess that is the true Tigerpride in you. I respect that. If this where in the years of 1970-1998, I would say your statement about JSU is right on point. My argument is that the JSU that you are so proud about is not the JSU of old.

As for your evaluation of AAMU as a coaching job, me being a proud fan is willing to admit that from 99 to the present (eligible for a SWAC title) we have indeed been as Average and Mediocre as a program can be. I don't like it but it is what is. However, even in our Average and Mediocrity, JSU is no better than us or any other school and we are no better than you guys. In fact, except for Valley, all of the programs in the East are pretty much tit-for-tat with JSU, AAMU, Bama State, & now Alcorn winning just one SCG since it's inception.

I humbly disagree. In the last 9 years, JSU has been #1 in the EAST including ties SIX times. AAMU does not come close. As a total program, you don't come close. The only time your program was even close to ours, **** was the coach.

1. Grambling: The Name Everybody Knows! 23 SWAC Titles, 14 BCF Titles,
2. Southern: Easy to recruit south LA, 19 SWAC Titles, 9 BCF Titles
3. PV: Alumni/TX A&M support, New Stadium coming, 11 SWAC Titles, 5 BCF Titles
4. J State: Small City, Big Stadium crowd, Should be able to get kids who can't go to Ole Miss or Miss State, 3SWAC Titles, 3 BCF Titles
5. Bama State: Best on-campus Facilities

DId he say three SWAC titles? lol

PV's kind of a sleeping giant out there in Waller County. With the amenities coming up with the new stadium, the whole super-deep talent pool in Texas alone and other economic factors (the growth of Cypress/290 West area, no state income tax, etc.), that makes the PV job a bit more attractive.

It's you old heads that remember the losing streak and all of the other crap. The kids being recruited now and in the future either don't know nothing about the losing streak or won't even be old enough to have been alive for it. Them kids gonna see a nice stadium, a recent QB that's in the NFL and a chance to play ball.

PV's kind of a sleeping giant out there in Waller County. With the amenities coming up with the new stadium, the whole super-deep talent pool in Texas alone and other economic factors (the growth of Cypress/290 West area, no state income tax, etc.), that makes the PV job a bit more attractive.

It's you old heads that remember the losing streak and all of the other crap. The kids being recruited now and in the future either don't know nothing about the losing streak or won't even be old enough to have been alive for it. Them kids gonna see a nice stadium, a recent QB that's in the NFL and a chance to play ball.

I agree with this. If Simmons is a good coach, PV could easily pull an Alcorn in 2-3 years time with the talent pool in TX

AAMU is the best job in the SWAC because there is no pressure to win. There is a disconnect when it comes to fans and supporters. People do not attend games because you are playing a game, they want to feel appreciated. If most folks who are hired to be friendly on game day, I believe this would be the beginning of fans attending games.

If all the jobs came open the top three coaching positions I would pursue would be:

GSU: The name says it all. In interviews I could always reference Coach Rob and win over the old guard which would consist of people 40 and over.

Jackson State: The utilization of their academic programs is boost when recruiting. Also, given the right AD, along with winning that would be spectacular. The sky is the limit.

Southern: Given the right timing this could be a position that would boost a career. The key is beating GSU.

Back