How would you rate the football coaching jobs in the SWAC?

tierre

This is from a spinoff thread I saw on AGS.
If all the SWAC head football coaching positions became open today, how would you rate the jobs in the SWAC and why?
This is how I would rate the jobs in the SWAC

1. Grambling - average at best fanbase. Only 3 losing seasons in the last 10 years. Has been to the SCG 4 times in the last 10 years. Won the SWAC in 2011. Has a fanbase that expects to win.
2. Alcorn - second consecutive winning season. Has a shaky fanbase who will come out and support a winning program. Only had 4 winning seasons in 10 years. Just won the SWAC.
3. Jackson St. - 1st losing season since 2009. Only 3 losing seasons in 10 years. Won the SWAC in 2007. Has been to the SCG 4 times in the last 10 years.
4. Alabama St. - New stadium - Hasn't won the SWAC since 2004. Only been the SCG once in the last 10 years. Spending alot of money in the athletic program.
5. Southern - Would have been at the top of the list if it wasn't for the compliance issue. Huge fanbase especially when they are winning.
6. Alabama A&M - Is on their 2nd consecutive losing season. Won the SWAC in 2006, Has been to the SCG 4 times in the last 10 years. Only 4 losing seasons in the last 10 years.
7. Prairie View - New Stadium in 2016, no losing seasons since 2012, won the SWAC in 2009, only 4 losing seasons in the last 10 years
8. UAPB - won the SWAC in 2012, 2nd consecutive losing season, 5 losing seasons in the last 10 years.
9. Texas Southern - small fanbase, just coming off NCAA probation, 3rd consecutive losing season
10. Valley - Lack of scholarships, 8th consecutive losing season, only 2 winning seasons in the last 10 years. Until a commitment is made to give out the max scholarships it would be considered career suicide.

Yeah Alcorn seems to be the best job right now but I'm still wanting one more 8-10 win season.

Maintaining/Trending up (in no particular order):
SU (Worm has had them consistent the past couple of years. Hopefully with no compliance issues this upcoming season, SU can gel and contend again in the West)
ASU (first year coach who is a proven winner. Bama State's cupboard is not bare so he could have them with a winning record this year)
Grambling (2nd year coach at a program with history. I think they will win 6-7 games this year but considering the previous two years they'll take it)
AAMU (2nd year coach who has to get players for his system)
PV (1st year coach. Lovelocke is gone BUT PV has been consistent the past few years and a new stadium definitely will help him with recruiting
Valley (2nd year coach who is a proven winner. Building the program up so much expect us to be ready by next year)

Maintaining:
TSU (Him and Comegy are the deans in the SWAC as far as tenure in the conference. His coaching style will keep them in a lot of games but it will also lose them a few. Possibly his last year)

Trending down:
UAPB: (Even with Big Ben, they weren't good. Without him, it could be some lean years in PB. Coleman might not make it a year or two if he doesn't show improvement)
JSU (I could put them in the maintaining section because of Ivey and Williams which will keep them in a lot of games but Bobby Rush didn't exactly walk into Valley's situation with bare talent. He underachieved no question about it. You are what your record says you are. 7-21 in D2 and 5-7 at JSU)

I think some of you are missing the whole point of the thread. He said rate the jobs, Some of you are rating the actual coaches. There's a difference.

I'd say the most difficult jobs would have to be Bama State, Valley and JSU.

Bama State always has some kind of scandal....good pay, and they seem to be trying to putting a championship team in place, but they are always under some kind of scrutiny that can damage your coaching career. You take a risk going to Montgomery to coach. And having a dedicated beat writer (not sure what he's dedicated to lol) only amplifies everything.

At Valley, dealing with limited resources can be a challenge. If you brought in Nick Saban, it wouldn't make a difference. That's why I still don't understand the Willie Totten firing. He did more with less than any other coach I've seen at Valley in recent years. I thought Totten and Gregory was a good look for Valley back in the early 2000's.

At JSU, you will get a decent pay check, but you have to deal with an impatient fanbase. in the past 20 years, our head coach has been in the hot seat 75% of the time. Two coaches were fired after winning seasons. And like Bama State, you have the local media to deal with...MS State and Ole Miss aren't top tier programs usually and we are the only D1 school in the largest city so we get plenty of press time, making the HC position a more visible role.

1. SU/JSU/GSU - I see reasons why each of these jobs could be considered the top job in the SWAC, and why either could NOT be.

2. Alabama St - best stadium and training facilities.

1. SU/JSU/GSU - I see reasons why each of these jobs could be considered the top job in the SWAC, and why either could NOT be.

2. Alabama St - best stadium and training facilities.
1. Alabama State, largely for the reasons you listed.

Interesting that some are ranking Gram as the best job, when less than 2 years ago, they had to forfeit a game, because players discontent with the facilities/support. I'm not sure many coaches would think those are ideal situations.

1. Alabama State, largely for the reasons you listed.

Interesting that some are ranking Gram as the best job, when less than 2 years ago, they had to forfeit a game, because players discontent with the facilities/support. I'm not sure many coaches would think those are ideal situations.

That was an anomaly and conditions have changed. Historically Gram has been a good job. Actually even then they had the supplies to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Not to mention all of these deep cuts that Jindal has been making. That would put Grambling and the other LA FCS schools in more dire straights, possibly.

I tend to look to the institutions first. Think about UAB - one might've said they that was a better job than USM a year ago - look where they are now. So I have to agree with the points made by LS and others about Bama State and SU/Gram. Great jobs if you're looking only at facilities, etc, but not when you take other factors into account. One thing about the MS schools, the IHL system creates a general level of stability that other schools don't have.

#1 = JACKSON STATE: Best stadium in the division. Centrally located within the conference. Good fanbase but can be bat azz crazy at times. The potential to be a top 1-AA program is there but needs more effort from both the fans and adminstration.

#2 = GRAMBLING; It's Grambling and that works in your favor. GSU is easily the most recognizable name in BCF and possibly at the 1-AA level. They win! Any coach would want to be a part of that tradition.

#3 = SOUTHERN: Aside from being poorly ran from top to bottom, the football program is a gem in BCF. They have a consistent fan base for a program that is not consistent. A coach worth anything could easily unleash the monster that is SU football and the Jag Nation.

#4 = ALCORN = Their top rivals are JSU, SU, and Grambling. That is the best attribute of the program. Seriously.

#5 = TEXAS SOUTHERN: My goodness, you are in Houston. How do you mess this up? Some people say that they don't have a fan base or their fans are not interested. However, the product is traditionally bad and that is what you get when your team is always bad.

#6 = ALABAMA STATE = Alabama State is in a great position to be great. Their location is not ideal for rivalries with the WEST but they are in great proximity for games in ATL, vs FAMU, etc... They have good facilities and they have an administration that is focused on winning. The problem in football is a culture and they don't have that.

#7 = PRAIRIE VIEW: They might be the second most recognizable name in BCF and possibly in 1-AA... but not for the right reasons. They are Prairie View and for a long time that was not a good thing. Perception lives. However, they are making strides as a program to get back on track. I think they low-key have a top 4 SWAC fan base but it will take years to cultivate that into a consistent force.

#8 = ALABAMA A&M: Some places are just not football schools and this is one of them. I can't see why any coach would want to coach there. There was a time when the program looked to be headed in the right direction but not anymore.

#9/#10 = UAPB/Valley: I know some people say we all should be D2 but UAPB and Valley would make good additions to the SIAC. UAPB recently won the SWAC but it was later revealed that they cheated to win it. UAPB and Valley have a long way to go to get into the upper echelon of SWAC jobs.

Last edited:

#1 = JACKSON STATE: Best stadium in the division. Centrally located within the conference. Good fanbase but can be bat azz crazy at times. The potential to be a top 1-AA program is there but needs more effort from both the fans and adminstration.

#2 = GRAMBLING; It's Grambling and that works in your favor. GSU is easily the most recognizable name in BCF and possibly at the 1-AA level. They win! Any coach would want to be a part of that tradition.

#3 = SOUTHERN: Aside from being poorly ran from top to bottom, the football program is a gem in BCF. They have a consistent fan base for a program that is not consistent. A coach worth anything could easily unleash the monster that is SU football and the Jag Nation.

#4 = ALCORN = Their top rivals are JSU, SU, and Grambling. That is the best attribute of the program. Seriously.

#5 = TEXAS SOUTHERN: My goodness, you are in Houston. How do you mess this up? Some people say that they don't have a fan base or their fans are not interested. However, the product is traditionally bad and that is what you get when your team is always bad.

#6 = ALABAMA STATE = Alabama State is in a great position to be great. Their location is not ideal for rivalries with the WEST but they are in great proximity for games in ATL, vs FAMU, etc... They have good facilities and they have an administration that is focused on winning. The problem in football is a culture and they don't have that.

#7 = PRAIRIE VIEW: They might be the second most recognizable name in BCF and possibly in 1-AA... but not for the right reasons. They are Prairie View and for a long time that was not a good thing. Perception lives. However, they are making strides as a program to get back on track. I think they low-key have a top 4 SWAC fan base but it will take years to cultivate that into a consistent force.

#8 = ALABAMA A&M: Some places are just not football schools and this is one of them. I can't see why any coach would want to coach there. There was a time when the program looked to be headed in the right direction but not anymore.

#9/#10 = UAPB/Valley: I know some people say we all should be D2 but UAPB and Valley would make good additions to the SIAC. UAPB recently won the SWAC but it was later revealed that they cheated to win it. UAPB and Valley have a long way to go to get into the upper echelon of SWAC jobs.

TP, you lost credibility in your post (once again) with the five words you typed after JACKSON STATE....

1. Texas Southern University - located in a huge metropolitan area that has a president that is as SOLIDLY committed to athletic success as he is to academic success and health of the university. (athletic) Growth potential in the largest SWAC urban setting w/ state of the art facilities/football venue and substantiated compensation. Stolid and growing (athletic) budget w/in a financially and academically lol sound state.

1a. See Texas Southern University above for PVAMU excepting substitute "rural" for urban. Also, delete "solid athletic commitment from prezo." lol Otherwise, we are right there w/ them. The PVAMU HC position is a coveted position in the SWAC, along w/ the position @ sTu. Considering SACS, the ncaa, governance budget/state funding issues, et al that several other SWAC insititutions, outside of the JSUs/Alcorns/UAPBs/AAMUs have to endure, these 2 are the top 2.

sTu and PVAMU are situated in a HS hotbed of HS football talent. Both have zero excuses NOT to excel IC and OOC. Period.

TP, you lost credibility in your post (once again) with the five words you typed after JACKSON STATE....

If that is your opinion. But there is no better stadium at the 1-AA level than Memorial. Some may be newer but not better. You do know what some old houses are better than new houses, right?

As soon as someone tells me what "excepting" is.

Aren't you situated in a rancid and deplorable urban environment professionally up yonda' eastward? Where's your urbran-lingo thesaurus? Pull that bad boy out and go to work. lol

I was correcting you for calling FCS schools IAA, like they were once referred to. There is no such animal as "IAA." You are aware of that, eh? :(

Last edited:
Aren't you situated in a rancid and deplorable urban environment professionally up yonda' eastward? Where's your urbran-lingo thesaurus? Pull that bad boy out and go to work. lol

I was correcting you for calling FCS schools IAA, like they were once referred to. There is no such animal as "IAA." You are aware of that, eh? :(

It's 1-AA to me... LOL

Back