How would you rate the 2014 coaches in the SWAC?

Jenkins had the "Worlds Most Famous Beach" as his number 1 recruiting tool... its EASTY to get Black folks from the hood to the beach.... Now he doesn't have anything except Dexter Avenue Baptist Church and the Montgomery Biscuits.

ummm, he was cheating. Now he has Josh Moon and SWAC eyes on him. Dude is doomed! lol

Jenkins had the "Worlds Most Famous Beach" as his number 1 recruiting tool... its EASTY to get Black folks from the hood to the beach.... Now he doesn't have anything except Dexter Avenue Baptist Church and the Montgomery Biscuits.

Well we'll have to wait and see about that one. Barlow never had a problem recruiting athletes to Montgomery. If I recall Bama State has had former players participate in the past 3 Super Bowls.

Well you making sly predictions about sorry azz Valley. We can go TO Alcorn and whoop them and TO Texas Southern and whoop them and TO UAPB and whoop them but we can't beat Valley. And you are so right, you won't have to worry about us losing to you...LOL
Glad you admitted it. Good job!

Everybody aint swayed by the beach. Besides, if it was such a big lure, BCU would have wayyyyyy more students than just about every school.

Everyone sucks to a non-sports person who doesn't know sports. 9-3 was better than every team in the SWAC except Alcorn.

They beat a FBS team. A non-sports person like yourself says "FIU is sorry so it doesn't mean anything". Most people with knowledge of sports who watch them would beg to differ. FIU would beat 7 out of 10 teams in the SWAC with ease (Alcorn would give them a game and maybe Southern and Grambling)
Yes they beat FIU, but they almost lost to Florida Tech and then with a chance to clinch the MEAC title easily they struggled to beat 4-8 Norfolk State, lost to 3-9 Hampton, and nearly lost to 3-9 FAMU. So it's not like his last season at BCU was exactly superb. That was the reason why BCU didn't get an at-large bid because how they closed out the season. FIU may have just really been that horrible at the beginning of the season.

1. Hopson (Alcorn State)- Has done a great job in rebuilding Alcorn, from a program that hadn't really experienced much success since the 90s to winning the SWAC and becoming an annual contender. Despite that, Alcorn managed to drop a few games the past 2 seasons that his team had no business losing (A&M in 2014 and JSU and GSU last season) 8.5

2. Odums (Southern)- Took over and had to deal with NCAA certification issues, APR issues, program that had been in a downward spiral the previous 3 seasons, and won the SWAC title in his first complete season as the head coach. He also made it back to the championship game with a true freshman as the QB. The lack of consistency from the defense and the inability to beat Alcorn so far are the only reasons why his score isn't higher. 8.3

3. Jenkins (Alabama State)-I know he hasn't coached in the SWAC yet, but his record at BCU was great. Lack of playoff success, accusations of cheating, and alleged volatile relationship with players and coaching staff hurts his score a bit. 8.0

4. Fobbs (Grambling State)- Grambling was at rock bottom when he took them over, and he immediately turned them into a contender. 7.5

Everybody aint swayed by the beach. Besides, if it was such a big lure, BCU would have wayyyyyy more students than just about every school.

every school goal isn't to have a lot of students.......

any Black player from the hood is swayed by beaches and women... Where do you think Black college students go for Spring Break??? As far as students... maybe its not their goal to have a lot of students... it IS a private school.

Well we'll have to wait and see about that one. Barlow never had a problem recruiting athletes to Montgomery. If I recall Bama State has had former players participate in the past 3 Super Bowls.

How many championships did Barlow win? Bama State had former players ride the bench in the past 3 Super Bowls.

1. Hopson

2. Odoms

3. Jenkins (even tho 1st season in SWAC)

4. Comegy

5. Fobbs

6. Coleman

7. Spady

8. Asberry

9. Simmons (1st year)

10. Jackson

How many championships did Barlow win? Bama State had former players ride the bench in the past 3 Super Bowls.

Miss directing? You raised the issue of recruiting at ASU v BCU not championships. Making a NFL roster supports the ability to recruit talented athletes to ASU. No doubt Barlow could recruit. Judging by the reception Jenkins and staff have received, leads me to believe Jenkins will continue to attract talented athletes to the university like we're doing in the non-revenue producing sports.

Tuition turns people off. BCU is a private school. If it were public it would pull in all of those Miami, Tampa and Orlando kids that end up at FAMU, and even UF and UCF.

Yes they beat FIU, but they almost lost to Florida Tech and then with a chance to clinch the MEAC title easily they struggled to beat 4-8 Norfolk State, lost to 3-9 Hampton, and nearly lost to 3-9 FAMU. So it's not like his last season at BCU was exactly superb. That was the reason why BCU didn't get an at-large bid because how they closed out the season. FIU may have just really been that horrible at the beginning of the season.

My coworker has a nephew on that FIU team. He said they had a lot of turmoil in the locker room. The players and the coaching staff were split between two QBs who battled in fall camp. They eventually benched the QB that started against BCU and finished the season with a little bit of dignity.

My coworker has a nephew on that FIU team. He said they had a lot of turmoil in the locker room. The players and the coaching staff were split between two QBs who battled in fall camp. They eventually benched the QB that started against BCU and finished the season with a little bit of dignity.
Explains a lot right there.

1. Hopson

2. Odoms

4. Comegy

5. Fobbs

6. Coleman

7. Spady

8. Asberry

9. Simmons (1st year)

10. Jackson

I can respect this. Most of the people posting with sense got most of the same 4-5 people in the top 5

Place matters. Nick Saban at Alabama is a much better than Nick Saban at Michigan State. I wouldn't dare rate Comegy at Valley in the top 5 - not after a 2-9 season.

any Black player from the hood is swayed by beaches and women... Where do you think Black college students go for Spring Break??? As far as students... maybe its not their goal to have a lot of students... it IS a private school.
You're right, it may not be "their goal to have a lot of students", but based on what you're suggesting, BCU must be rejecting THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of applications every year, because everybody is wanting to get there because of the beaches and women or does this just apply to football players. Do you think FAMU, Bethune's closest rival, loses every recruiting battle with BCU, seeing how Bethune has the "beaches" and FAMU doesn't? Sorry, but I think it is grossly overstating it to think the beach is such a big lure in deciding on a school.

As for spring break, yeah, students flock to Daytona Beach for spring break, always have, but its a stretch to think that means they all want to go to school there or move there. I like going to Vegas, Panama City and Memphis, but that doesnt mean I wanna move to those places.

The Florida public universities and the major private colleges and universities in Florida are listed in the sortable table below with some of their key figures.
College/University
In-State Tuition
Out-of-State Tuition Enrollment Percent Female Acceptance Rate, % Average High School GPA Number of Programs Offered
Bethune-Cookman University $13,990 $13,990 3,594 61% 70 2.75 36

Florida A&M University $4,589 $16,530 13,089 59% 61

If it were public it would pull in all of those Miami, Tampa and Orlando kids that end up at FAMU, and even UF and UCF.
based on what?

Plus, I've been to Bethune's campus and I've been to FAMU's campus. If you think tuition cost is the only reason people would pick FAMU over BCU , then ummm.....ok

Don't think students at these private schools are paying so much more out of pocket.

based on what?

Plus, I've been to Bethune's campus and I've been to FAMU's campus. If you think tuition cost is the only reason people would pick FAMU over BCU , then ummm.....ok

Don't think students at these private schools are paying so much more out of pocket.

I just posted the numbers. To be honest, neither campus is worth writing home about, but it's almost a $10,000 difference in tuition. Most Black students depend on Pell Grant and Student Loans, not trust funds. That tuition definitely plays a part. I'm sure more kids would rather be at Tougaloo vs. JSU or Fisk vs. TN State, also, but money is a huge factor.

Reactions: J C
1. Hopson

2. Odoms

4. Comegy

5. Fobbs

6. Coleman

7. Spady

8. Asberry

9. Simmons (1st year)

10. Jackson[/QUOTE]

I CONCUR WITH ROBBER.

You are just going to see that your problem is your name is Alabama State. Jenkins can't fix that.

Lol...Okay great seer. Since you're reading the tea leaves, how many games will JSU win in the 2015 season?

I don't know but we gonna beat Alabama State like we always do.... Typically, JSU is #1 in the EAST. I expect us to regain that spot.

Back