How would you rate the 2014 coaches in the SWAC?

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
If I had to rate the coaching around the conference, this is how i see it.

GSU 7-5-After starting slow Fobbs put it together for a strong finish 7.5

SU 9-4- Considering all of the obstacles and mid-season surprises that Big Worm had to over come to defend his title. 8.5

JSU 5-7 Although it was his first year at the helm, I think Mudbone under achieved with the players he had. 5.0

Alcorn 10-3 Prove to everybody that they wanted to take it to the next level, but the loss to JSU and GSU hurt their perfect score. 9.0

AAMU 4-8 Again another first year coach and though much wasn't expected his inability to keep them consistent and not fold in the second half was disappointing. 5.0

ASU 7-5 The coach was fired, needless to say expectations weren't met. 6.5

TSU 5-6 His coaching style seems to be all over the place and IMO he's the weakest link. 4.5

UAPB 4-7 Very disappointing year for coach Monte, but it didn't look like he had much to work with and a lot to over come. 4.5

PV 5-5 Again another coach fired nothing else much to say. 5.0

MVSU 2-9 We all knew that this was going to be an up hill battle. For what he had to work with I did see confidence back in the devils eyes and I'm looking for a vast improvement this year, so I'm going to ignore the record. 5.0

All are base on a scale of 1-10 of course, with 10 being the highest.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
1. Hopson - What he was able to do in 3 years is the reason why there's the outside noise of USM

2A Odoms - Back to back West champs in about the same amount of time as Fobbs. And he did it without his full compliment of players for the whole season last year in some games.

2B. Jenkins - He turned BCU (a private school) into a MEAC powerhouse with wins over FBS schools. The only reason why he isn't #1 is because as we all know the MEAC is 0 and forever in the FCS playoffs.

4. Fobbs - Was able to get Grambling from the 2013 season fiasco to within 1 yard of the SCG. Jury is out on whether this can be consistent.

5. Spady - 2nd year as HC and we know what he wants to run. They showed flashes last year with young players (beating ASU) and will be better this year.

6. Comegy - We know he has to build up the roster at Valley. Showed flashes against JSU and Grambling last year but was outclassed by the better teams (outside of Grambling) playing young players. Expect improvement

7. Mudbone - As I (and others have said in the other thread and on Facebook), he underachieved with talented players. They trended up with wins over TSU and Alcorn to end the season so there's reason for optimism with Ivey and Williams on offense but Mudbone will have to prove he's either a good coach or a 7-21 D2 coach.

8. Asberry - This is his make or break year at TSU to me. They underachieve much like JSU but they don't have the returning firepower than JSU has and JSU beat them.

9. Coleman - Hard times on the Bluff. Asberry at least had TSU in a lot of games last year even when they ended the season on their losing streak. PB even with Big Ben was losing and now without him, it's looking bleak in the Bluff

10. Simmons - 1st year as head coach. No resume as a HC to go off of.

True but he hasn't won at ASU yet. Let's see how it goes. Right now I'd put Hobson and Big Worm at the top of the list.
understood, but he's a coach in the SWAC now. And the thread is about coaches in the SWAC, so I don't see how you not include him

It seems like you're including a lot of things that have nothing to do with coaching.

If I had to rate the coaching around the conference, this is how i see it.

GSU 7-5-After starting slow Fobbs put it together for a strong finish 7.5

SU 9-4- Considering all of the obstacles and mid-season surprises that Big Worm had to over come to defend his title. 8.5

JSU 5-7 Although it was his first year at the helm, I think Mudbone under achieved with the players he had. 5.0

If your team has underacheived, there's no way he should be in the Top 3.

Hopson should be at the top of everyone's list before I can even begin to agree with it.

understood, but he's a coach in the SWAC now. And the thread is about coaches in the SWAC, so I don't see how you not include him

I do include him. He'd be 3 or 4 on my list, right in there with Fobbs. That's not bad - just a sign that SWAC coaching has upgraded in recent years.

Some of you are acting like meac poster's. Trying to take credit for something that had nothing to do with you.

But hey! Carry on and mess up a perfectly good thread.

Some of you are acting like meac poster's. Trying to take credit for something that had nothing to do with you.

But hey! Carry on and mess up a perfectly good thread.

Yep! There's a reason we can't have decent conversations on this board without someone messing it up with emotion-filled responses....

I will first say that I am not impressed with ANY of these coaches but you can still rank bad coaches.

#1: Brian Jenkins. Jenkins is clearly a cheater and he is clearly crazy but he has the best track record of any coach in the conference besides Comegy.
#2: Odums: This man took an SU program that was rock bottom and put them back on the map.
#3: Hopson: You want to see an over-rated coach, this is one. He plays two games to inflate his record every year and people fall for it. However, I never said he wasn't smart for doing it. Most never thought Alcorn would become a contender again but they have and they will remain a contender.
#4: Fobbs: I think it's way too early to rank him but since the other coaches are so bad, he falls to this spot.
#5. Harold Jackson: Coach Jackson really messed up but he seems to know what the problem was last year and took charge to fix it. There is no reason why he didn't win 7 games last year. He and his staff are in survival mode.. and that might be dangerous. Ask Alcorn.
#6. Comegy: Probably the best recruiter BCF has ever seen ...and he does it without cheating. However, he is probably the worst X and O coach BCF has ever seen.
#7. Spady; Some people should just be career assistants.
#8. Coleman: He might just be in a bad situation. I recall when he used to have the best defenses in the SWAC. We haven't seen that in a while. Not sure what changed.
#9. Simmons; Nothing to judge him by. He will need a good defense though to keep his offense afloat.
#10. Asberry; Asberry looked like a bright up and coming Coach. It was a bad career move to take a job with a program with so many sanctions but let's see how he does going forward as those sanctions get removed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
1. Hopson - What he was able to do in 3 years is the reason why there's the outside noise of USM

7. Mudbone - As I (and others have said in the other thread and on Facebook), he underachieved with talented players. They trended up with wins over TSU and Alcorn to end the season so there's reason for optimism with Ivey and Williams on offense but Mudbone will have to prove he's either a good coach or a 7-21 D2 coach.

There is NO USM noise. Where are you all getting this stuff?

Old Man Jackson was NEVER a D2 coach. He got the program started at Benedict as a club team with no scholarships and then he took over some teams for some other coaches to finish the season once they were fired.

Right now, for 2015:

1. Jenkins
2. Hobson
3. Odoms
4. Fobbs

5-10 are all in the same boat. It doesn't matter what order they're in.

None of the others played FIU over the past 2 seasons.
Who's fault is that? He beat the teams that were scheduled and had a lot of success. That can't be denied. If Nick Saban joined the SWAC, I don't think anybody in here would rank Worm, OMJ, Comegy, etc above him.

Who's fault is that? He beat the teams that were scheduled and had a lot of success. That can't be denied. If Nick Saban joined the SWAC, I don't think anybody in here would rank Worm, OMJ, Comegy, etc above him.

Nick Saban coudn't make it at an HBCU. Very few coaches can.

Jenkins ain't no Nick Saban and Brian Jenkins isn't the best coach in the SWAC.

I wouldn't .. not right now... LOL

Wait til two years from now. You won't either.

And the point about FIU is that there were probably other teams that could beat them as well. You do know that beating them is nothing to brag on right? lol

I wouldn't .. not right now... LOL

Wait til two years from now. You won't either.

And the point about FIU is that there were probably other teams that could beat them as well. You do know that beating them is nothing to brag on right? lol
Dude if you ranking OMJ as one of the top coaches in this league then I will have no problem doing the same with Jenkins

Back