How will this affect SU and Grambling?

PV-PRIDE

http://footballscoop.com/news/gover...xt-fall-if-state-budget-crisis-isnt-resolved/

Governor of Louisiana says “You can say farewell to college football next fall” if state budget crisis isn’t resolved...

That’s the strategy that Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards took when discussing the ongoing budget crisis the state is facing. More specifically, Bel Edwards was talking about the TOPS (Taylor Opportunity Program for Students) program last night, which awards college scholarships that covers tuition for in-state students that meet certain academic criteria according to SEC Country.

Interestingly enough, LSU is the state university that has more TOPS-eligible students than any other school of higher learning in the state of Louisiana, with about 53% of all students using the scholarship program. Not surprisingly, a number of those using the program are also student-athletes.

“If you are a student attending one of these universities, it means that you will receive a grade of incomplete…many students will not be able to graduate, and student athletes across the state at those schools will be ineligible to play next semester,” Bel Edwards noted.

“That means you can say farewell to college football next fall.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/gover...xt-fall-if-state-budget-crisis-isnt-resolved/

Governor of Louisiana says “You can say farewell to college football next fall” if state budget crisis isn’t resolved...

That’s the strategy that Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards took when discussing the ongoing budget crisis the state is facing. More specifically, Bel Edwards was talking about the TOPS (Taylor Opportunity Program for Students) program last night, which awards college scholarships that covers tuition for in-state students that meet certain academic criteria according to SEC Country.

Interestingly enough, LSU is the state university that has more TOPS-eligible students than any other school of higher learning in the state of Louisiana, with about 53% of all students using the scholarship program. Not surprisingly, a number of those using the program are also student-athletes.

“If you are a student attending one of these universities, it means that you will receive a grade of incomplete…many students will not be able to graduate, and student athletes across the state at those schools will be ineligible to play next semester,” Bel Edwards noted.

“That means you can say farewell to college football next fall.”

I watched his speech last night. The net effect is astonishing!
So LSU gets 53% of all it's students enrolled tuition paid by TOPS?

Make room for the chicken Louisiana... she's coming home!!!!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It will hurt us a lot also. For athletics we have a number of kids getting TOPS. Heck Lenard Tillery came to SU on a TOPS scholarship.

62612111.jpg

I won't feel sorry or pity for GSU nor SU Football....

I have told you all time and time and time and time and time what the both of you need to do Football-wise to get yourself right. But for some reason, you all think playing a football game in New Orleans, LA is better than playing a Football Game on each other's campuses as HBCUs.

Would it packed? Yes, it would be. Get your butt in your RVs and/or vehicles Bright and Early or the day before the game to get on campus early to get your spot. You take pride in your campus and stadiums being packed (not to mention your playing your longtime rival).

But, my hands are washed and I only pray the Lord guides the Blind to the Light before it's too late.

I have told you all time and time and time and time and time what the both of you need to do Football-wise to get yourself right. But for some reason, you all think playing a football game in New Orleans, LA is better than playing a Football Game on each other's campuses as HBCUs.

Would it packed? Yes, it would be. Get your butt in your RVs and/or vehicles Bright and Early or the day before the game to get on campus early to get your spot. You take pride in your campus and stadiums being packed (not to mention your playing your longtime rival).

But, my hands are washed and I only pray the Lord guides the Blind to the Light before it's too late.
If only we had listened to you and played the BC in September in Grambling, then played Howard to end the season.

If only we had listened to you and played the BC in September in Grambling, then played Howard to end the season.

You are finally understanding his logic!

That would bail Southern and Grambling out of it's overall university budget crisis and be the example all university's would use. Your AD would get a Nobel Peace Prize and enrollment would skyrocket.

One day y'all gonna listen to BH123!

Hell! Dillard and Xavier should start up football programs, play each other Labor Day weekend, put Howard on the schedule in November and watch and be amazed!

That would bail Southern and Grambling out of it's overall university budget crisis and be the example all university's would use. Your AD would get a Nobel Peace Prize and enrollment would skyrocket.

Hell! Dillard and Xavier should start up football programs, play each other Labor Day weekend, put Howard on the schedule in November and watch and be amazed!

You keep saying that about Howard. Must I remind HBCU Sports what happened the last time TX Southern played Howard?

I know it wasn't pretty...for TX Southern. We SWAC Alums in The Northeast had to live down that embarrassment for weeks.

Yeah we would make so much money that we wouldn't need any state funds at all.

We would makes multi millions doing what you suggest.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Keep playing me crazy. I heard the same talk when JSU and Alcorn went back to home and home and that has worked nicely.

Nicely in what way? You wasn't losing big money playing in Jackson either. The only issue was the middle man yall didn't like. Secondly Alcorn and JSU would have had Jindal as Gov in MS. Where you played that game wouldn't have helped one iota. That Alcorn vs JSU game don't fund your entire athletic department with its largest revenue. One could say, the Alcorn game is not even the biggest game on JSU's schedule when it is played in Jackson. I would imagine their homecoming still tops that game.

With the majority of students/Student athletes on TOPS at the top 7 schools, this will be resolved before 1 May.

Nicely in what way? You wasn't losing big money playing in Jackson either. The only issue was the middle man yall didn't like. Secondly Alcorn and JSU would have had Jindal as Gov in MS. Where you played that game wouldn't have helped one iota. That Alcorn vs JSU game don't fund your entire athletic department with its largest revenue. One could say, the Alcorn game is not even the biggest game on JSU's schedule when it is played in Jackson. I would imagine their homecoming still tops that game.

The money stays in the HBCU Market. And plus, it doesn't isolate the Jackson and Fayette-Jefferson Communities.

SU and GSU on the other isolate the communities your stadiums sit by continuing to play the game in New Orleans.

The money stays in the HBCU Market. And plus, it doesn't isolate the Jackson and Fayette-Jefferson Communities.

SU and GSU on the other isolate the communities your stadiums sit by continuing to play the game in New Orleans.

And doing this will open the door for us to eventually play Howard (at historic Greene Stadium).

Thanks @C-LeB28

Maybe every school should just petition the NCAA to see if they can play Howard this upcoming season

I just don't understand why GSU and SU do not want to play a Football Game in Robinson and Mumford.

I mean common sense tells you if the game is going to be packed to get up early to get a good spot.

There is a reason HBCU Football was successful somewhat even after Integration.

Back