Hopes High on the Hill As PV Begins 05 season

Storm96

COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOUR: PRAIRIE VIEW
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3303999

Barrett believes big things ahead

Panthers target a winning season and maybe more

By W.H. STICKNEY JR.

Cast an ear to the west and maybe the roaring of a pride of Prairie View A&M Panthers can be heard loud and clear.

Yes, pride ordinarily refers to a group of lions, according to the dictionary. But in this case, pride may also apply to another breed of cat.

"If people don't know about us, thank you," junior defensive end Corey Barrett said, "because we're going to surprise a lot of people. Some people already know it's coming."

For the uninitiated, the topic of discussion is a Division I-AA program that hasn't had a winning season in 29 years.

Under first-year coach Henry Frazier III last year, the Panthers roared out of the gate with two consecutive victories then faded to 3-8.

Forget about all of that, said Barrett, one of two Panthers selected to the 2005 preseason All-Southwestern Athletic Conference first team.

"Last season, we were very disappointed in how it ended, how a lot of things turned out," said Barrett, a junior from Smiley who's on track to graduate this year with acclerated studies. "We put a lot of pressure on ourselves this summer, this offseason, to get better because we do plan on going undefeated and becoming SWAC champions."

Those are huge plans and expectations, no matter the institution.

"They're not really too big if you know what we're doing around here," Barrett said.

Weeding them out

What the Panthers and Frazier are doing is separating those who want to succeed from those who don't. Frazier began the process last year.

"I told them, 'Go ahead and keep your scholarships, because I don't want to mar you as a young man, I want you to go ahead and matriculate through.' I wasn't upset with them. But we're going to be about the business of turning this program around."

Barrett and Eric Hernandez are examples of the student-athletes who remain.

Barrett is coming off a season in which he posted 9 1/2 tackles for losses and 5 1/2 sacks. Hernandez, a two-time first-team All-SWAC pick, ranked seventh among Division I-AA punters a year ago, averaging 43 yards.

The Panthers have quality experience that ranges across the board, but there are holes to fill in the secondary and linebacking corps. That hasn't dampened enthusiasm.

"We're fired up and ready to go this time," Hernandez said. "From what I can tell, it seems like none of the guys are playing around this time. I know in the past, we've had some ups and downs. But so far everything's positive and we're in a good set of mind."

The junior hopes his success rubs off on the team.

"I look at what I accomplished as something for inspiration, not only for my team but also for myself," Hernandez said. "I look at it as though, 'Now, my team knows that they have something they can look forward to, and I hope I can help them reach that goal by showing them hard work and they show me hard work every day.'

"That way, one day, I will have more than just four or five players going with me to Atlanta, Ga., getting All-American awards."

First things first

Frazier has set winning a SWAC championship as the Panthers' ultimate goal. But he's not convinced an undefeated season, the Western Division title and a SWAC crown all will come this season.

"Well, I don't know if I'll say this is our year," Frazier said. "But our goal is real simple. It's been 29 years since we've had a winning season around here. And our goal is to first have a winning season. Once we get that monkey off our back, we want to win the Western Division, and then we want to win the SWAC.

"Those three steps are what we're interested in around here. That and, of course, graduating our student-athletes. But we're really excited. The kids have done everything we've asked them to do. They're fired up.

"Everyone reported, everyone's on time. They did what we wanted them to do in the classroom. Now we want to get it done on the field."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
From the looks of the article and looking at what we are returnimg, We should have a solid offense that can easily rack up points !!

Storm96 said:
"If people don't know about us, thank you," junior defensive end Corey Barrett said, "because we're going to surprise a lot of people. Some people already know it's coming."

:read:

Storm96 said:

I ain't wanna' say anything S96. I saw that and it stuck out like a sore thumb. It should be an interesting fall to say the least. It's hard as "L" to keep quiet <b>until</b> the first game. :|

I'm going to the smack board so I can take a straw poll and figure out who the "some people already know it's coming" people are. :uhoh:

Panthro said:
I ain't wanna' say anything S96. I saw that and it stuck out like a sore thumb. It should be an interesting fall to say the least. It's hard as "L" to keep quiet <b>until</b> the first game. :|

I'm going to the smack board so I can take a straw poll and figure out who the "some people already know it's coming" people are. :uhoh:

(hide the women and children) :lol:

NO smack intended but honestly I expected PV to be a different team last year... when they came to Huntsville it was the same ol PV.... I didnt see any basic fundamentals from them that football game.

you saw the last game of the season and the team was injury depleted...I was in Milwaukee last year but I saw the starting lineup at the time....you should've won

ask UAPB about us...

the band fan said:
you saw the last game of the season and the team was injury depleted...I was in Milwaukee last year but I saw the starting lineup at the time....you should've won

ask UAPB about us...

Nah. Let'em stay where they are tbf. They'll be on the bandwagon soon enough. lol

lol@JROCK. Boi.... :smh: :emlaugh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Maan, hold up, I don't know if the world is ready for the fact that they could actually lose football games to PV. It's going to be exciting on "Da Hill" this season. :jump:

the band fan said:

ask UAPB about us...

injuries are part of the game so that is no excuse....... PV was the worst team AAMU faced last year including Savannah State.

the band fan said:
you must've slept thru the TSU game then....I think they were a little sorrier than us :xeye:

I knew Tennessee State wasn't good last year but I would have imagined that they were better than Savannah and Prairie View.

Back