Honestly, I couldn't play football today

Lenard

You're running full speed on a KR and the returner doesn't signal for a fair catch. What are you supposed to do? :( What they are calling "targeting" today is what we did 10000000000000000000000000000% of the time back in the gap. A few classmates and myself would be permanently banned from competition lol.

I think it has to do with the softness of the kids these days but mostly because of the injuries (severe) that seem to be happening more and more.

I think a lot of the injuries we're seeing are coming from overtraining, which is a side effect of not allowing kids to play more than one sport.

Yep, the attention is on concussions and head trauma, but these non-contact knee injuries and what not seem to be on an epidemic level.

Football players are bigger, stronger and faster than they've ever been across the board. By the time young players get to college -- at least at the major programs -- they don't even look like they're part of the same species as the rest of us after a year or two in college.

That's part of the reason why the injuries seem more frequent and devastating compared to a generation ago. You have these trained physical freaks running into each other, and you better believe it's going cause significant damage.

This past NFL offseason, more than a dozen players 30 years old or younger retired, with the majority citing health reasons or concern over future health issues.

And the NFL, NCAA and youth football programs see the participation numbers in the sport declining, because so many parents and families are concerned about the impact of head injuries. We see rules changes to protect players as a result.

Football players are bigger, stronger and faster than they've ever been across the board. By the time young players get to college -- at least at the major programs -- they don't even look like they're part of the same species as the rest of us after a year or two in college.

That I believe 1000%. I'm marveling @ the sheer size of these 10th graders that I'm mentoring and tutoring. smh Both 15 ys/o and 6'3" and 6'4" respectively w/ hardly any type of formal training. Just amazing, imho.

That I believe 1000%. I'm marveling @ the sheer size of these 10th graders that I'm mentoring and tutoring. smh Both 15 ys/o and 6'3" and 6'4" respectively w/ hardly any type of formal training. Just amazing, imho.

My fiance's son is in the 8th grade and is 5'8" and 190. Solid. He plays OL/DL/K for the junior high.

The good thing about him is he has set his mind to being an officer in the Marine Corp and wants to use football as a tool to pay for college. This past weekend he mentioned that if he goes in the national guard his senior year in high school and they pay for college he may not play college ball.

Reactions: J C

You're running full speed on a KR and the returner doesn't signal for a fair catch. What are you supposed to do? What they are calling "targeting" today is what we did 10000000000000000000000000000% of the time back in the gap. A few classmates and myself would be permanently banned from competition lol.
Me too B.

That's part of the reason why the injuries seem more frequent and devastating compared to a generation ago. You have these trained physical freaks running into each other, and you better believe it's going cause significant damage.

This past NFL offseason, more than a dozen players 30 years old or younger retired, with the majority citing health reasons or concern over future health issues.

And the NFL, NCAA and youth football programs see the participation numbers in the sport declining, because so many parents and families are concerned about the impact of head injuries. We see rules changes to protect players as a result.

But the guys that use to play in the gap was just as big and physical. Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Deacon Jones, Ronnie Lott, Jack Lambert, Ernie Ladd, etc..... There were giants on the field back then too. The difference was they were men back then. Now, they're wussy foot boys.

I think it has to do with the softness of the kids these days but mostly because of the injuries (severe) that seem to be happening more and more.

Please stop! This has nothing to do with the "softness of the kids these days". Just stop it.

SMH

I understand the cushion rule. I have no problem with that. And to some degree I understand the need to have a targeting rule. The ONLY problem I have with the targeting rule is that the player should not be ejected from the game. These kids are not out there blatantly trying to take someone out with their helmets. It becomes really difficult when the player they are trying to hit cleanly is in a low position and just so happens to get hit with the helmet.

Just go a head an penalize the player 15 yards, hell, make it 20 yards if you must, but don't kick the player out of the game.

But the guys that use to play in the gap was just as big and physical. Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Deacon Jones, Ronnie Lott, Jack Lambert, Ernie Ladd, etc..... There were giants on the field back then too. The difference was they were men back then. Now, they're wussy foot boys.

Too Tall Jones was listed at 220 pounds when he played. J.J. Watt is listed at 295 pounds and plays the same position as Jones.

Some of the guys you listed were physical in their own right, but the majority of the league looked like actual people.

I understand the cushion rule. I have no problem with that. And to some degree I understand the need to have a targeting rule. The ONLY problem I have with the targeting rule is that the player should not be ejected from the game. These kids are not out there blatantly trying to take someone out with their helmets. It becomes really difficult when the player they are trying to hit cleanly is in a low position and just so happens to get hit with the helmet.

Just go a head an penalize the player 15 yards, hell, make it 20 yards if you must, but don't kick the player out of the game.
If it is not blatant the ejection gets reversed.

And there is no more cushion rule. I was just saying it existed "back in our day".

Too Tall Jones was listed at 220 pounds when he played. J.J. Watt is listed at 295 pounds and plays the same position as Jones.

Some of the guys you listed were physical in their own right, but the majority of the league looked like actual people.
Jack Lambert played at 220

If it is not blatant the ejection gets reversed.

And there is no more cushion rule. I was just saying it existed "back in our day".

So what is catch interference? It may not be called the "cushion rule" but the returner has to have some space to catch the ball if he doesn't call fair catch.

So what is catch interference? It may not be called the "cushion rule" but the returner has to have some space to catch the ball if he doesn't call fair catch.
Kick catch interference is when the defender prevents the returner who is about to attempt to catch the kick from catching the ball before it hits the turf. This is even if he muffs the ball. It has to hit the turf first before the defender recovers or hits the kick receiver.

Kick catch interference is when the defender prevents the returner who is about to attempt to catch the kick from catching the ball before it hits the turf. This is even if he muffs the ball. It has to hit the turf first before the defender recovers or hits the kick receiver.

I am familiar with the rule. It's nothing more than a modification of the cushion rule.

It was some hard cats back then but most of these kids on supplements , working out year round. It was not like that back in the day!!!!
Exactly. Hyped up on Protein shakes and muscle milk. Back then, Men were men. Now these kids are built up, but not fully developed. It's like cooking a cake in a microwave vs cooking one in an oven set at a certain temp.

Bewildered.

I think you would have had the intellect to make the adjustment, much like these players have and will continue to make the adjustment.

Bewildered.

I think you would have had the intellect to make the adjustment, much like these players have and will continue to make the adjustment.
I wish, J~. You have more faith in me than I have in myself. I didn't play football to enjoy anything. I wanted to hurt everyone I played against & that was my strategic goal.

Please, get your facts straight about the players back in the day. Jones was listed at 271. At least they did not protect certain QB's like they do today. You cannot touch Brady, Brees, Manning, Rogers, but you can blast Newton, Roethlisberger, Vick. How long would Brady last with no protection from the refs back then? You guys act like no Football was played back in the day. Let the guys play and if you do not want to get hit or hurt, then don't play. I guess Ronnie Lott at 6'0 and 203 was small back in the day also? Jack Tatum 5'10 210 was small also? Steve Atwater 6'3 220 playing safety also and he was small. Mel Blount was 6'3 205 Corner, but he was small also. Please, Football is Football and because the players are bigger today, they should be able to play more physical. But today's player are smarter than the players back then, being smart with their money and get out while your health is good.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tootalljones/2517868/profile

Please, get your facts straight about the players back in the day. Jones was listed at 271. At least they did not protect certain QB's like they do today. You cannot touch Brady, Brees, Manning, Rogers, but you can blast Newton, Roethlisberger, Vick. How long would Brady last with no protection from the refs back then? You guys act like no Football was played back in the day. Let the guys play and if you do not want to get hit or hurt, then don't play. I guess Ronnie Lott at 6'0 and 203 was small back in the day also? Jack Tatum 5'10 210 was small also? Steve Atwater 6'3 220 playing safety also and he was small. Mel Blount was 6'3 205 Corner, but he was small also. Please, Football is Football and because the players are bigger today, they should be able to play more physical. But today's player are smarter than the players back then, being smart with their money and get out while your health is good.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tootalljones/2517868/profile

Back