HBCU Basketball: November 23-29

How? because they lost the game or lost convincingly? Help me out.

Both. Did you watch 15-17 Siena defeat 21-8 Alcorn in 2002? That was the joke of the tournament that year. Even the commentators were upset at Alcorn's efforts in their lendgendary coaches' last showing. In fact, the word was out that the NCAA matched Alcorn with Siena because they wanted him to go out with his first tournament win. How about 12-17 Oakland beating 18-13 Alabama A&M in 2005? 22-9 Alabama State losing to 18-14 Morehead State, (who lost to Grambling that year) wasn't pretty either, but I won't bash ASU because they did fight. The MEAC has lost it's share of play in games, but at least they weren't Cinderella teams. The MEAC has pulled off the best upsets in the history of the tournament as they account for 3 of 7 #15 seeds to advance to the second round. There is no debate! If no one around the NCAA has told you, Southern is the only SWAC program who receives respect for coming to win in the tournament.

Both. Did you watch 15-17 Siena defeat 21-8 Alcorn in 2002? That was the joke of the tournament that year. Even the commentators were upset at Alcorn's efforts in their lendgendary coaches' last showing. In fact, the word was out that the NCAA matched Alcorn with Siena because they wanted him to go out with his first tournament win................/QUOTE]

You do know that would not have been his first tournament win?

Both. Did you watch 15-17 Siena defeat 21-8 Alcorn in 2002? That was the joke of the tournament that year. Even the commentators were upset at Alcorn's efforts in their lendgendary coaches' last showing. In fact, the word was out that the NCAA matched Alcorn with Siena because they wanted him to go out with his first tournament win. How about 12-17 Oakland beating 18-13 Alabama A&M in 2005? 22-9 Alabama State losing to 18-14 Morehead State, (who lost to Grambling that year) wasn't pretty either, but I won't bash ASU because they did fight. The MEAC has lost it's share of play in games, but at least they weren't Cinderella teams. The MEAC has pulled off the best upsets in the history of the tournament as they account for 3 of 7 #15 seeds to advance to the second round. There is no debate! If no one around the NCAA has told you, Southern is the only SWAC program who receives respect for coming to win in the tournament.

to be fair...morehead state was playing with kenneth faried and he looked like an nba player vs. the hornets.

I agree. I would like to see the SWAC step up in the post season tournaments. That's why I told y'all that I actually have no problem with playing in the play in game. It's gives our conference a chance to earn a post season win and knocks off the tournament jitters. I am more happy with a SWAC Champion taking on another small major conference conference champion in the play in game over facing a #1 Ranked Powerhouse in the first game of the tournament. Why? Because the SWAC has a great history of conference tournament upsets. I can't tell you how many times we have sent our best team to the NIT or no post season tournament because they got upset in the conference tournament and SWAC Champion entered the NCAA Tournament without a prayer. The MEAC usally fares better because their champion is usally the best all around team in their conference.

I hope we see a difference this season because the SWAC is showing major improvement in the non conference schedule. AAMU looks like the Hampton team that beat Iowa State. That was a physical team.

Texas Southern @ Washington State
Alcorn State @ Abilene Christian
AAMU @ Murray State
MVSU @ Robert Morris
Alabama State vs. Chicago State
UAPB vs. SELA
Alcorn State vs. FAMU
Prairie View @ UNLV

62-60 Murray St. Good game Bulldogs. We fall to 4-1. Missed a three pointer with 6 seconds to go.

Back