HBCU Baseball: 2/20 - 2/22

The improvement in SWAC baseball will eventually lead to both the conference winner and an at-large team making the tournament. Just a few more pieces and some SWAC teams will be competitive in win and losses with the usual tournament participants. It is coming, I tell you.

Keep in mind, the SWAC teams that play more than four non-Division I games are ineligible for being selected as an at-large. You've got plenty of these teams with weekend series and mid-week games against the Jarvis Christian, UH-Victoria and Wiley College-types of the world.

However, to replace those non-D1 games, you better have a replacement! Some schools in area just aren't scheduling SWAC schools heavily. SHSU is playing a SWAC school Tuesday for first time in 2 or 3 years. It may have been late scheduling with new staff, not sure. Previous staff was opposed to it due to RPI drag and the formula previous coach came up with to make sure SHSU was an at-large contender.

And then you have the SWAC tournament. Falls a week earlier than everyone else due to $$$ reasons (keeping kids in dorm, etc after school). Push it back and give yourselves another good OOC weekend series. Will help RPI.

Keep in mind, the SWAC teams that play more than four non-Division I games are ineligible for being selected as an at-large. You've got plenty of these teams with weekend series and mid-week games against the Jarvis Christian, UH-Victoria and Wiley College-types of the world.

However, to replace those non-D1 games, you better have a replacement! Some schools in area just aren't scheduling SWAC schools heavily. SHSU is playing a SWAC school Tuesday for first time in 2 or 3 years. It may have been late scheduling with new staff, not sure. Previous staff was opposed to it due to RPI drag and the formula previous coach came up with to make sure SHSU was an at-large contender.

And then you have the SWAC tournament. Falls a week earlier than everyone else due to $$$ reasons (keeping kids in dorm, etc after school). Push it back and give yourselves another good OOC weekend series. Will help RPI.

A&M plays only one D-II game--UNA-- because our coach went to school there. Our ooc games are against quality teams--SEC teams (Miss. State, Alabama, Auburn), teams that have been frequent participants in the tournament and other teams that traditionally had tournament -competitive teams--Troy, Jacksonville State, UAB, Dayton, Xavier, Tenn. Tech, etc.

Since our RPI .is on the rise, I can see more traditional tournament teams wanting to schedule us. we are not into scheduling a lot of D-II games.

A&M plays only one D-II game--UNA-- because our coach went to school there. Our ooc games are against quality teams--SEC teams (Miss. State, Alabama, Auburn), teams that have been frequent participants in the tournament and other teams that traditionally had tournament -competitive teams--Troy, Jacksonville State, UAB, Dayton, Xavier, Tenn. Tech, etc.

Since our RPI .is on the rise, I can see more traditional tournament teams wanting to schedule us. we are not into scheduling a lot of D-II games.

Texas Southern and Prairie View have 16 non D1 games between them.

Back