Greek versus nonGreek

PrettiEyes

High on Life!
As a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. , I can say that I'm proud to be a member of the FIRST and FINEST Sisterhood that was founded in 1908. My question is why to you chose to be greek/nongreek? Many people do it for popularity, to continue a family tradition, or sisterhood/brotherhood? Then you have those that chose not to do it because of the bad name that are being labeled among different organization. If you are nonGreek, what do you look for in an organization before you considered pledging? What do you considered to be the most important thing in chosing a sorority/fraternity? If you are greek would you do it all over again? I just wanted to know how you feel about this so that we can CLEAN up the mess and get the TRUTH out!

***** I'll add some more questions/comments later...

being a non greek I do have aspirations to be a member of BGLO..... I just had to lay the "FOUNDATION" first! by doing so I have gained insight from members of all the fraternities when just asking for general advice! they all end up saying the same thing.
<font size=4>DO WHATS IN YOUR HEART??????</font>

As far as the drama greeks go through I can only speak on it from the outside looking in as an undergrad student!!! but from what I see it can become a "SHADY GAME" that many people get f'ed up in! Ive even seen instances where people get looked down at for gettin in the org a certain way whether it be "Paper" or "Hazed"! lots of people who seek membership get caught up in this tug of war!..........which is sad:( considering the Drama which results from it!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
At PV, non-Greek membership at one time rivaled Greek membership. However, as time went on Greek membership has swelled exceptionally.

I rather Greek...but only because of the situation at my school.

Non-Greek membership has taken a nosedive plus the few that are left are not as strong as they were in the past. The only non-Greek I would even consider pledging is KKpsi, and that's beause I like band.

Another thing, I see more non-Greek members running to join Greek for some reason. I guess it is a trend.

I had no interest until my sister joined Delta a little over a year and half ago. I thought Greeks were just party hungry jocks and tricks, BUT after getting closer to them by my sister, that attitude is no longer a part of me. I would seriously think about it now, but with graduation coming fast, it would be a graduate chapter for my choice. They had a line this semester so their next one would be the session after my graduation.

As a non-Greek, I think looking at the way they love each other and what they do on campus, besides the parties, stepping, and other popular stuff is what has pushed myself towards two specific groups. One is well known for numerous reasons while the other is relatively young, especially at Southern.

Well, looking at my signature, you can tell that I am apart of quite a few so-called "non greek" organizations (wondering why we are considered non-greek yet we have greek letters as well?).

I joined mine because I wanted to help uplift te purposes of each organization. <font color="blue">Alpha</font> <font color="gold">Phi</font> <font color="blue">Omega</font>, deals with service, <font color="red">Phi</font> Mu <font color="gold">Alpha</font> with music, and <font color="red">Epsilon</font> <font color="blue">Gamma</font> <font color="red">Iota</font> helps me get through this engineering department without pulling my hair out. ;) By joining these, I was able to socialize with people with a common interest as i as well as bond with them in a way I cant with just anybody.

Now, I have seen people want to join "non-greek" organizations because they dont want to get caught up with the "hazing." I have also seen people join "non-greek" organizations because they are trying to get prepared for the pan-hell frats. Either way, a lot of people change their mind about joining a "real" frat after they join a "non-greek"--however they felt originally. Personally, i hate it when people use "non-greeks" as a resume filler to join a 'real" frat. you are wasting both the frat's and YOUR time by joining if that is all that you join for. why bother spending all them late nights "studying" just to put one sentence on a resume?

Anyway, sorry, I got a little heated. Point is.... I loved to purposes, I loved the brotherhood, and I wanted to become apart of something I enjoyed doing. That is why <b>I</b> joined.

Well I'm an Active member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity , Inc. I'm also apart of Alpha Phi Omega Nat. Service fraternity. There I served as President.

As far as personal feelings My uncle inspired me to become an AlphaMan. I soon learned that Alpha was and is the first Fraternity founded for African American Males . We were the originators. Also the brotherhood is extremely strong and very supportive. Alpha and AKA are my second family. Words can't describe the feeling of being an AlphaMan.

As far as APO this is a great organization also. I pledge this during my second semester . Personally I do not consider APO "non greek" They are actually one of the largest if not the largest greek letter fraternity. The have some of the same values and goals as do other established fraternal organizations.

Back