Grambling State in the original Magic City Classic?

the band fan

Baseball Fan
According to some information I have in my hand, the Vulcan Bowl Classic in 1948 in January featured Grambling and Wilberforce at historic Rickwood Field.

When did the Magic City Classic start?

The description says this game was started to help fund the YMCA and bring two of the best negro teams to Birmingham in the nation. It mention only 11 teams were playing

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
http://ci.bham.al.us/legionfield/index.htm
LEGION FIELD CHRONOLOGY:
1926: Construction begins on Legion Field, a 21,000-seat stadium, at a cost of $439,000.

Nov. 19, 1927: Legion Field debuts as Howard College shuts out Birmingham-Southern College 9-0.

November 2, 1946: Alabama A&M and Alabama State play the first Magic City Classic.
?

1948: With an assist from the legislature, Alabama and Auburn renew rivalry after 41-year feud. Tigers claw way to 55-0 victory.

1970: natural grass removed in favor of Poly-Turf. An artificial
surface remains in place for the next 25 years.
?
November 28, 1981: Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant became the
winningest coach in college football history with his 315th
career win as Alabama beat Auburn 28-17.

1995: Artificial surface removed, replaced with Bermuda grass to meet requirements to host 1996 Olympic soccer matches.
?
1996: Olympics come to Legion Field, USA vs. Argentina men's soccer match draws capacity crowd.
?
1998: Final Iron Bowl played at Legion Field, as Crimson Tide rolls to 31-17 win.
?
1999: The annual Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) championship is played at Legion Field.

http://ci.bham.al.us/legionfield/index.htm
LEGION FIELD CHRONOLOGY:
1926: Construction begins on Legion Field, a 21,000-seat stadium, at a cost of $439,000.

Nov. 19, 1927: Legion Field debuts as Howard College shuts out Birmingham-Southern College 9-0.

November 2, 1946: Alabama A&M and Alabama State play the first Magic City Classic.
?
1948: With an assist from the legislature, Alabama and Auburn renew rivalry after 41-year feud. Tigers claw way to 55-0 victory.

1970: natural grass removed in favor of Poly-Turf. An artificial
surface remains in place for the next 25 years.
?
November 28, 1981: Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant became the
winningest coach in college football history with his 315th
career win as Alabama beat Auburn 28-17.

1995: Artificial surface removed, replaced with Bermuda grass to meet requirements to host 1996 Olympic soccer matches.

1996: Olympics come to Legion Field, USA vs. Argentina men's soccer match draws capacity crowd.
?
1998: Final Iron Bowl played at Legion Field, as Crimson Tide rolls to 31-17 win.
?
1999: The annual Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) championship is played at Legion Field.

Cool!! I was present for the last three events listed.

DAHILL said:

The game day book for the Magic City Classic lists the first game as 1940 ( the 2005 game was listed as the 64th annual game). I think the schools did not play in either '43 or '44.

Legion is that old? Damn......

I wondered what Rickwood's football set-up resembled......

Alot of history in the 40s hasn't been recorded properly

Oracle said:
The game day book for the Magic City Classic lists the first game as 1940 ( the 2005 game was listed as the 64th annual game). I think the schools did not play in either '43 or '44.

You are correct. The teams did not play in 1943 due to war.

Bama State played at Rickwood in the 60's to early 70's. There were stories where trains would pass by, blow there horns and disrupt the play calling. Time-outs had to be called. :sick: By the way ASU played Miles College there back in the day.

the band fan said:
Legion is that old? Damn......

I wondered what Rickwood's football set-up resembled......

Alot of history in the 40s hasn't been recorded properly

Rickwood Field is also the oldest baseball park in America. A lot of baseball greats have played there - from Birmingham native, Willie Mays, to Satchel Paige, and many more.

There's a lot of history in Birmingham. :tup:

Back