grade fixin' at auburn?

orange tiger

Auburn launches investigation

By Christa Turner, Staff Writer

AUBURN, Ala. ? Auburn University is investigating allegations of academic fraud within the athletic department, according to a statement president Ed Richardson issued to university employees Thursday.

Richardson told Auburn faculty that Provost John Heilman was investigating anonymous charges into grade-fixing for student-athletes.

The investigation began last month.

"Auburn has been, and is, fortunate to have many dedicated instructors, who, like us, will not tolerate academic misconduct," Richardson said in a release. "... We will deal with this issue as we have dealt with other challenges ? directly and openly."

Richardson was in Hawaii and unavailable for comment. He will return Monday. Auburn spokesperson David Granger said they hope to conclude the investigation as soon as possible, but "a timetable isn?t etched in stone."

Athletic director Jay Jacobs was also unavailable for comment.

In the release, Heilman said an allegation was registered through EthicsPoint in May stating one Auburn professor gave grades to athletes for coursed that required little or no work.

EthicsPoint is an Internet-based company which helps manage ethics and compliance in the corporate world, as well as higher education and non-profit sectors, according to its Web site. It allows employers to combine a whistleblower hotline, incident management and interface for detailed analysis.

Heilman said in his statement that he appointed a committee to investigate the claim but it isn?t complete. He said a public report would not be issued until it was finished and he would not comment on it until that time.

"Academic integrity is at the foundation of every university," Heilman said in the release. "The office of the Provost takes any concern related to academic processes at the University seriously."

Cindy Brunner, a professor in pathobiology and member of the faculty senate, said she had faith the issue would be resolved.

"If there is an academic issue, it will be resolved ... and fixed," Brunner said. "The faculty will not allow that to proceed any other way."

Let's see whether or not they will have "smart" self-imposed penalities if something is found. Will they play hide-seek with the NCAA? And will someone get paid under the table to keep their mouth shut?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
HORNETSWARM said:
Let's see whether or not they will have "smart" self-imposed penalities if something is found. Will they play hide-seek with the NCAA? And will someone get paid under the table to keep their mouth shut?
That's it right there ^^^^^^. They will probably get away with just a slap on the hand.

ASU2002 said:
That's it right there ^^^^^^. They will probably get away with just a slap on the hand.

If there is anything more than that, I will be surprised.

AUBURN UNIVERSITY'S RESPONSE

Friday, July 14, 2006

Summary: This briefing note addresses a complaint made through the Ethicspoint system and currently under investigation by the Office of the Provost. In the interest of keeping the AU community informed, Dr. Richardson requested these statements from him and the Provost be shared with you.

Background and Statement from Dr. John Heilman, Provost:

Academic integrity is at the foundation of every university. At Auburn, we expect concerns related to academics to be reported through deans and department heads, but we also maintain an anonymous on-line system called Ethicspoint. In May, a complaint was made through the Ethicspoint system alleging that a single professor gave grades to student athletes for courses that required little or no work.

The Office of the Provost takes any concern related to academic processes at the University seriously. As a result, on June 5, I appointed a committee to investigate the anonymous claim. The work of the committee is not complete given the number of personal interviews that must be conducted.

The Committee will issue a report upon the completion of its work, and that report will be made public. Until that time, our office will have no comment on the investigation. I can assure you as Provost that academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Auburn University.

From the President:

Over the past two years, Auburn has shown a willingness to address serious issues in a very open and direct manner. The Provost has made me aware of a complaint and related investigation concerning grades assigned to student athletes.

I am confident that the Provost will perform a thorough investigation, and upon completion of that work we will make the results of that investigation public. I also want to make clear that in the event that any academic misconduct is confirmed, we will take appropriate action to insure that Auburn University's strong academic reputation is not damaged. Auburn has been, and is, fortunate to have many dedicated instructors who, like us, will not tolerate academic misconduct.

I want to assure everyone associated with Auburn that upon completion of the investigation we will deal with this issue as we have dealt with other challenges -- directly and openly.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1152868751135760.xml&coll=3

sure they will. Everybody across America has violations, the catch is some folks are smarter than others, and some folks know the right folks to pay.

Back