Gibbs-Green shooting: Family, JPD unite at JSU

BG

Survivors and witnesses of a deadly protest 45 years ago gathered Friday for reflections and a wreath-laying ceremony outside Jackson State University’s Alexander Hall. Two were killed and 12 were injured by gunfire. Many others were trampled and maimed by flying glass when bullets, more than 430 rounds, shot by lawmen pelted the dorm and ripped across the campus and vicinity.

Reflecting on recent tragedies of unarmed African-American males killed by lawmen, moderator Robert Luckett, director of the Margaret Walker Research Center at JSU, said, “the events of this year — from Ferguson to Charleston and New York — are not just isolated moments in the present but have a long history.” He said the day — which included guests such as politicians, lawmen and a jurist — is important to behold and commemorate.

By all accounts, the scene on May 15, 1970, resembled a war zone rather than an institution of higher education. That’s when hundreds of bullets pierced the woman’s dormitory, forcing hoards of panicked students scrambling for their lives. Once delayed assistance finally arrived, emergency rooms were inundated.

The two young people killed were Phillip Lafayette Gibbs, 21, a junior pre-law major and married father of an 18-month-old son and another on the way; and James Earl Green, 17, a senior at Jim Hill High School, mortally wounded while observing the commotion from shots fired by Jackson Police and the Mississippi Highway Patrol.

Now, decades later, the face of JPD has changed. Lee Vance, the current police chief, succeeded several other blacks in the top role. He was 12 years old at the time of the campus uprising.

“I felt afraid and didn’t really understand what was going on,” he said Friday.

Speaking to those who witnessed or survived the tragedy, Vance said, “I’m able to follow the trail you paved for me now to become the chief of the Jackson Police Department. I understand what our responsibilities are.”

He urged the crowd not to judge JPD by events currently happening in other parts of the country. He said that as an officer he understands that “the only true path to success is working with the community, not against it.”

Injured in 1970, then-student Eddie Jean Carr, said, “This is our legacy; this is our history. We must never forget where we came from.” Carr, the first African-American to serve as Hinds County Chancery clerk, said, “I could have been killed. I thank God I’m here today.”

http://www.mpbonline.org/blogs/news...-green-shootings-at-jackson-state-university/

No one was prosecuted for the shootings. But, Attorney Constance Slaughter-Harvey filed a $13.8 million civil lawsuit in 1970 against state and local officials and law enforcement officers. The case went to trial in February 1972 in Biloxi, and an all white male jury came back with a not guilty verdict. Slaughter-Harvey says the officers in the courtroom erupted in cheers. No one has been held accountable for the shootings.

Back