Future of JSU football !!!!! Who's next ?

Matt Entz Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Matt Entz guided one of the top defenses in Division I football in his first year as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at North Dakota State in 2014.
NDSU ranked third in the nation in scoring defense on its way to a fourth straight FCS national championship. The Bison went 15-1 overall and won the Missouri Valley Football Conference with a 7-1 mark.
North Dakota State allowed just 14.1 points per game. The Bison ranked fifth nationally in total defense allowing 280.4 yards per game, and also ranked fifth in pass interceptions with 19.

http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=876&path=football

I am all for thinking out of the box. However the ideal coach still needs to be someone who is familiar with either JSU, The State of Mississippi, or the SWAC. NDSU is a great program but recruiting and coaching there and in the deep south is different in so many ways. Tony Hughes should be the guy.

I agree there are differences in comparison to region, coaching philosophy and etc., but I think the most important difference is being part of a FCS program that has won 4 straight National Championships. That's a helluva recruiting tool not just in the deep South....but throughout the country. It doesn't take much convincing for a recruit considering the fact that the ultimate goal of a player is to win championships. Why not hire a coach that has been there and done that?

I agree there are differences in comparison to region, coaching philosophy and etc., but I think the most important difference is being part of a FCS program that has won 4 straight National Championships. That's a helluva recruiting tool not just in the deep South....but throughout the country. It doesn't take much convincing for a recruit considering the fact that the ultimate goal of a player is to win championships. Why not hire a coach that has been there and done that?

He making $275,000 at MSU right now.

To be honest, I do not think the coach from NDSU would take the job. He is in a great spot there. He probably could not find Jackson without a GPS and probably does not understand the potential of a JSU. Tony Hughes wanted the job last time and was making around the same then as well.

To be honest, I do not think the coach from NDSU would take the job. He is in a great spot there. He probably could not find Jackson without a GPS and probably does not understand the potential of a JSU. Tony Hughes wanted the job last time and was making around the same then as well.

Yep, he is in a great spot at NDSU, but he doesn't have a great salary at NDSU. In addition, he has no control as an assistant at NDSU and can be fired by the HC at any moment.

I feel that if JSU were to ask him to apply for the job then he would do it. Why?

#1 $260,000 salary 4/yrs(as a Head Coach) 3 yrs guaranteed with a 4th year buyout
#2 The rich tradition at JSU
#3 Great location to recruit regionally
#4 Most difficult task(win a SWAC Championship)
#5 His family will feel at home in Madison, Ms
#6 Better weather in Jackson, Ms than Fargo, ND

Last edited:
This is the type of football team that the JSU administration should expect a coach to build at JSU. The administration and search committee need to do a better job in their search for "quality" coaches that can do this to FBS teams....

Last edited:
I support going after a Coordinator from a top FCS program.

....and that's the key. The JSU administration is not "going after" the best. They are simply settling for mediocracy and the results of the program support this type of mentality. As coach Entz stated in the first video " he had a job and was not looking for a job when he received a phone call from the HC at NDSU about the DC position ". It doesn't take much to pick up a phone and make a call. It doesn't take a search committee to advise a highly educated administration on how to reach out and contact the best in the business.

if yall want a good hire you might want to get rid of Carolyn Meyers

I know JSU people hate to hear this but the worst thing yall did was fire Comegy

if yall want a good hire you might want to get rid of Carolyn Meyers

I know JSU people hate to hear this but the worst thing yall did was fire Comegy
Fire Myers just because of football. You sound foolish. Jsu is An academic institution. Without academics there is no football, but without football there will still be academics !!!! Myers is how heart. She has grew the university by leaps and bounds !!!! We will be fine with Myers . She actually allowed the old alumni to hire Jackson just to show her support but this time around it will be All her call at the end of this search my friend . In the words of George Bush, fool me once shame on me, if you fool me once you can't fool me again !!!

Back