Future of JSU football !!!!! Who's next ?

I am not going to kick Coach Jackson when he is down. The man was an outstanding player at JSU and then played a long time in The League. He coached in The League and at Kentucky and Baylor. I am sure no one wanted him to succeed at his Alma Mater more than he did. It just did not work out for several different reasons. I will say I am befuddled by some of the names people are bringing up on this thread. It is clear that a lot of people on here really do not understand the incredible potential the football program, if not the whole athletic program at JSU truly has.
That being said, JSU missed a chance to hire one of the most respected coaches in the SEC. I am talking about Tony Hughes. Tony is a native Mississippian who is a great coach and even better person. He is one of the key reasons MSU has become a factor in the SEC West. The man is respected throughout the whole state and would do a great job at Jackson State. It seems that a lot of people have forgotten or did not know how close he came to getting the job in December of 2013. Hopefully they will go after him and hire him.
Although I am a relative outsider I respect the SWAC and pull for the league. I met a lot of great people when I worked at a SWAC school. The fact of the matter is three of the SWAC schools have advantages the rest do not. I am talking about location, fan base, funding, tradition, etc. In my humble opinion those schools are JSU, Southern and Alabama State. JSU would be a very attractive team for the Sun Belt (if they wanted to consider that). They have the stadium, campus, budget and fan base to be at the very least a major player in The FCS. They need to realize their potential and hire a SEC coach who is respected by every football coach in the State. Just one man's opinion. I love the passion on this board, just think too many fans refuse to think outside the box.

I say keep doing what you been doing.

Look for the best 1-9 high school coach or find someone else at the same retirement home you got harOLD from.

I like beating the ish out of JSU. They were starting to take over Memphis when I was in school. Not anymore. We got Memphis on lock.

So who ever it is, let them know we going for at least 8 in a row after going 7 in a row before.

Gone. Signing off

IV
four
cuatro
quatre
quatro

I say keep doing what you been doing.

Look for the best 1-9 high school coach or find someone else at the same retirement home you got harOLD from.

I like beating the ish out of JSU. They were starting to take over Memphis when I was in school. Not anymore. We got Memphis on lock.

So who ever it is, let them know we going for at least 8 in a row after going 7 in a row before.

Gone. Signing off

IV
four
cuatro
quatre
quatro

All it will take is a good QB to beat TSU

I am not going to kick Coach Jackson when he is down. The man was an outstanding player at JSU and then played a long time in The League. He coached in The League and at Kentucky and Baylor. I am sure no one wanted him to succeed at his Alma Mater more than he did. It just did not work out for several different reasons. I will say I am befuddled by some of the names people are bringing up on this thread. It is clear that a lot of people on here really do not understand the incredible potential the football program, if not the whole athletic program at JSU truly has.
That being said, JSU missed a chance to hire one of the most respected coaches in the SEC. I am talking about Tony Hughes. Tony is a native Mississippian who is a great coach and even better person. He is one of the key reasons MSU has become a factor in the SEC West. The man is respected throughout the whole state and would do a great job at Jackson State. It seems that a lot of people have forgotten or did not know how close he came to getting the job in December of 2013. Hopefully they will go after him and hire him.
Although I am a relative outsider I respect the SWAC and pull for the league. I met a lot of great people when I worked at a SWAC school. The fact of the matter is three of the SWAC schools have advantages the rest do not. I am talking about location, fan base, funding, tradition, etc. In my humble opinion those schools are JSU, Southern and Alabama State. JSU would be a very attractive team for the Sun Belt (if they wanted to consider that). They have the stadium, campus, budget and fan base to be at the very least a major player in The FCS. They need to realize their potential and hire a SEC coach who is respected by every football coach in the State. Just one man's opinion. I love the passion on this board, just think too many fans refuse to think outside the box.

I agree w/ a lot of what you said except... funding/budgets. These are the 2013-2014 budgets below. Granted, from an overall athletic program perspective, I do believe Alabama St and Texas Southern University are head and shoulders above everyone else in the SWAC. Only AlaSU and sTu are in double-digits while the rest of us poor schools are below that threshold.

SWAC Athletic Budgets (2013-2014)
Alabama State - $9.9

Southern - $8.5

Texas Southern - $8.2

Prairie View A&M - $7.9

Alabama A&M - $7.8

Grambling State - $6.7

Jackson State - $6.5

Arkansas-Pine Bluff - $6.4

Alcorn State - $5.6

Mississippi Valley State - $3.6

Last edited:
Good point, I have not looked at the budgets as of late. Texas Southern is a great location obviously. However it is literally across the street from UH and you have the Texans, Rockets, Astros, etc. to compete with for fans. Bama State is in a good spot but they have got to get somethings straight. I really think JSU is a sleeping giant!

Good point, I have not looked at the budgets as of late. Texas Southern is a great location obviously. However it is literally across the street from UH and you have the Texans, Rockets, Astros, etc. to compete with for fans. Bama State is in a good spot but they have got to get somethings straight. I really think JSU is a sleeping giant!
Your right !!! It's like Jsu is right there own the edge but just can't get there. They have the biggest media outlet in some of FCS, one of the biggest fan base, student enrollment of 10,000 and pretty stable financially. It's boiling down to bad choices made by school leaders . Not so much the prez but some of her choice for cabinet leaders !!!

I agree that AlaSU is in a great market area and so is JSU. I think Texas Southern has a LOT of upside in untapped potential being in the urban environment and having access to the best facilities along w/ one of the top 2 athletic budgets in the SWAC. Just those two simple items are probably the reason why AlaSU and sTu finished 1st and 2nd in the SWAC commish cup standings last year. And truth be told this year, I actually expect the same 2 to vie for the top 2 spots again w/ sTu running away w/ the first place finish. AlaSU has a lot of turmoil in their athletic program, imho.

Are those budgets based off overhead. JSU doesnt have to carry the cost and upkeep of a stadium or the bill associated with paying back the loan...

Are those budgets based off overhead. JSU doesnt have to carry the cost and upkeep of a stadium or the bill associated with paying back the loan...

I'm not sure, LEGEND. I got the #s from a USAToday site. JSU, like SU, AAMU, and AlaSU are in unique territories. Unique because they are the big show in their respective cities. sTu has to compete w/ 2 D-I FBS schools and another D-I FCS school all w/in the same city, along w/ professional sports franchises for the avg disposable entertainment $$$$.

Based off of infrastructure/funding (potential) alone, the top 3 imho are: JSU, AlaSU, and sTu.

I'll Say Jsu budget is BS as of now for sure but what they should do in future once we get an AD is increase budget. Honestly unlike other swac schools we haven't had an AD since Culbertson In 2003 !!! Besides the bell situation. So we are doing good to have been AD less for that many years !!! I can only imagine if we had someone like William Broussard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
As anyone heard about UMC trying to make an offer to Jsu about the stadium to help Jsu move quicker in there stadium efforts ?!?!?

I'm not sure, LEGEND. I got the #s from a USAToday site. JSU, like SU, AAMU, and AlaSU are in unique territories. Unique because they are the big show in their respective cities. sTu has to compete w/ 2 D-I FBS schools and another D-I FCS school all w/in the same city, along w/ professional sports franchises for the avg disposable entertainment $$$$.

Based off of infrastructure/funding (potential) alone, the top 3 imho are: JSU, AlaSU, and sTu.
SU has to compete with The Monster that is LSU.

I agree w/ a lot of what you said except... funding/budgets. These are the 2013-2014 budgets below. Granted, from an overall athletic program perspective, I do believe Alabama St and Texas Southern University are head and shoulders above everyone else in the SWAC. Only AlaSU and sTu are in double-digits while the rest of us poor schools are below that threshold.

SWAC Athletic Budgets
Alabama A&M: $7.6 million
Alabama State: $11.7 million
Alcorn State: $6.3 million
Arkansas-Pine Bluff: $6.5 million
Grambling State: $7.1 million
Jackson State: $6.0 million
Mississippi Valley State: $4.4 million
Prairie View A&M: $8.1 million
Southern: $8.6 million
Texas Southern: $10.2 million
Those budgets aren't current.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I judge the strength of a athletic department by the funds they generate on their own. It's clearly one school that the sports programs almost fund themselves.

SWAC Athletic Budgets

I'd like to see the link for this

I judge the strength of a athletic department by the funds they generate on their own. It's clearly one school that the sports programs almost fund themselves.

And that has helped said school win the commish cup 2014-2015, how? Top-3 finisher?

::confused smiley::

Stop being so myopic and simply give credit where credit is due. Those 3 schools have the greatest upside in the SWAC, today.

And that has helped said school win the commish cup 2014-2015, how? Top-3 finisher?

::confused smiley::

Stop being so myopic and simply give credit where credit is due. Those 3 schools have the greatest upside in the SWAC, today.
Since our dumb azz previous AD cut multiple sports, it will be almost impossible for us to win THe CC, but SU still has the most CC titles. Plus we are just coming off post season ban.

Since our dumb azz previous AD cut multiple sports, it will be almost impossible for us to win THe CC, but SU still has the most CC titles. Plus we are just coming off post season ban.

Dumb azz previous AD? Did he have a "fluffy"-type athletic budget to work w/? Seems like he did well to cut sports as didn't your school contemplate financial exigency due to academic budget shortfall(s)? That would send a powerfully backwards message to have an academic budget shortfall and the athletic budget remains constant, if not increasing, I guess. It's no secret that SU has the most CC titles but where is it situated today. SU won just as many SWAC championships as Howard did last year: 1.

SWAC Athletic Budgets

These budgets mean nothing.

When we were searching for a coach T P you said we should hire McKenzie, now Thee has the perfect opportunity.

Dumb azz previous AD? Did he have a "fluffy"-type athletic budget to work w/? Seems like he did well to cut sports as didn't your school contemplate financial exigency due to academic budget shortfall(s)? That would send a powerfully backwards message to have an academic budget shortfall and the athletic budget remains constant, if not increasing, I guess. It's no secret that SU has the most CC titles but where is it situated today. SU won just as many SWAC championships as Howard did last year: 1.
It's not hard at SU as you have support. Everything was in place when Lefleur took over. Dude lost all of our corporate sponsors and didn't have a clue how to raise funds.

When we were searching for a coach T P you said we should hire McKenzie, now Thee has the perfect opportunity.

i don't remember that.. but McKenzie is not good enough for JSU. He is more fit for a school like Alcorn. Right now, he needs to be a D2 head coach.

Back