Former Alabama A&M DE Robert Mathis Moves Into The Colts Starting Defensive Line

wahines

1_gsufan
Former Alabama A&M Standout DE Robert Mathis has moved into the Colts Starting Defensive Lineup.

Colts Defensive Line will Look Different in '06

INDIANAPOLIS - Robert Mathis wasn't complaining.
But deep down, while he was getting double-digit sacks the last two seasons, he did so with a thought: I can do more.

This season, he?ll get his chance. And Raheem Brock will, too.

Their chances will come from a tweaking of the Colts? defensive line, one of the team?s most productive areas in recent seasons and a reason for the drastic improvement of the defense last year. The line, one of the NFL?s smallest the last few seasons, also has been one of its fastest ? and most productive. The hope for 2006?

Get faster. And more productive, too.

?It?s really just a combination of wanting to get Raheem and Robert on the field a little more,? Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said Saturday, the second day of the Colts? three-day 2006 mini-camp at the Union Federal Football Center.

The Colts? defensive line, which has been one of the NFL?s best pass-rushing units the last two seasons, achieved that status while being one of the league?s smaller units. The line has registered 82.5 sacks over the last two seasons, doing so with uncommon speed, quickness and athletic ability.

The unit?s new look continues to emphasize speed over size. Brock, a defensive end his first four seasons, will move to tackle on close to a full-time basis, and Mathis ? who led the Colts in sacks last season as a defensive end specializing on passing downs ? will play more in every-down situations.

?They?re gaining confidence in me, and they know I can play,? said Mathis, who had 10.5 sacks in 2004 and 11.5 last season.

The same is true of Brock, who had a career-high 6.5 sacks last season while starting at end and moving inside on passing situations.

Read the Articles here: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3757 :read:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2006/spins052206.htm :read:

Re: Former Alabama A&M DE Robert Mathis Moves Into The Colts Starting Defensive

Hell, I thought he was starting. Didn't know he was that producting coming off the bench. Playing opposite of Dwight Freeney makes it that much easier. Can't double team everybody.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Yeah, I really thought he was starting. He should be more productive now that he is starting.

Robber said:
Hell, I thought he was starting. Didn't know he was that producting coming off the bench. Playing opposite of Dwight Freeney makes it that much easier. Can't double team everybody.

they were just using Mathis on guaranteed pass downs... mainly 2nd and 3rd and long.

Representing AAMU and the SWAC!!! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Props to Rob Mathis....way to represent AAMU and the SWAC!

These SWAC boys are starting to show out, keep it coming. Somebody gotta take over where Walter, Jerry, Aeneas, and McNair left off.

Make us proud Robert. :tup: I guess maybe now I will purchase his jersey online.

Back