Finally new field turf for Southern's Mumford Stadium!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG89

THE NEW AMERICA'S TEAM
The field was being used too much to maintain a natural grass surface. I say the next project should be a stadium expansion project to close-in the south end zone.

13103437_1691959377725004_5952110999570658160_n.jpg

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There's different stories on that

So is it field turf or a new natural grass surface with an improved drainage system??? It's being reported on Jaguar Nation that it is field turf.

Last edited:
Which is it, filed turf or natural?

If it is field turf, who is the company installing it?

So is it field turf or a new natural grass surface with an improved drainage system??? It's being reported on Jaguar Nation that it is field turf.

I'm just saying there's different stories. You know us. Instead of just telling the story straight we have to make it out to be some Cia national security risk.

So the company that created astroturf for the AstroDome has switch to making field turf and is still calling it astroturf, which was specifically made for the ASTROdome when it first came out. The Superdome had astroturf before it switched to field turf.

The concept was first floated as part of Walter O’Malley’s efforts to build a new home for the Dodgers to replace the aged Ebbets Field. Norman Bel Geddes, an architect and designer of acclaim and a pioneer who envisioned the future of sports. As reported in James Gast’s excellent book: The AstroDome: Building an American Spectacle, when the drawings were publicly shared in 1952, a new concept for stadiums had a emerged, one we are all very familiar with today.

http://www.astroturf.com/astroturf-at-50/

AstroTurf-debut-50-years-ago.jpg

Here's a timeline of that company's works.
http://www.astroturf.com/about-us/history-timeline/

From the picture I posted below, notice how nice and green the grass is outside of the track field and around the surface drain compared to the playing field grass that is being removed. SU's natural grass surface was getting way too much use with very little maintenance and upkeep.

The field was being used too much to maintain a natural grass surface. I say the next project should be a stadium expansion project to close in the south end zone.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
While AstroTurf was the industry leader throughout the late 20th century, other companies emerged in the early 2000s.FieldTurf, AstroTurf's chief competitor in the early 2000s and today, marketed a product of tall pile polyethylene turf with infill. This third generation turf, as it became known, changed the landscape of the marketplace. Although SRI successfully marketed AstroPlay, a third generation turf product, increased competition gave way to lawsuits. In 2000, SRI was awarded $1.5 million in a lawsuit after FieldTurf was deemed to have lied to the public by making false statements regarding its own product and making false claims about AstroTurf and AstroPlay products.[3]

Despite their legal victory, increased competition took its toll. In 2004, SRI declared bankruptcy.[4] Out of the bankruptcy proceedings, Textile Management Associates, Inc. (TMA) of Dalton, Georgia, acquired the AstroTurf brand and other assets. TMA began marketing the AstroTurf brand under the company AstroTurf, LLC. In 2006, General Sports Venue (GSV) became TMA’s marketing partner for the AstroTurf brand for the American market. AstroTurf, LLC handled the marketing of AstroTurf in the rest of the world.[5]

In 2009, TMA acquired GSV in order to enter the marketplace as a direct seller. Despite baggage associated with the bankruptcy of the former brand owners, AstroTurf, LLC focused its efforts on research and development, which has promoted rapid growth since the acquisition. AstroTurf introduced new product features and installation methods, including AstroFlect (a heat reduction technology)[6] and field prefabrication (indoor, climate-controlled inlaying).[7] AstroTurf also introduced a product called "RootZone" consisting of crimped fibers designed to encapsulate infill.[8] This product has been adopted by some professional organizations and colleges in the United States.[9]

The field was being used too much to maintain a natural grass surface. I say the next project should be a stadium expansion project to close-in the south end zone.

I don't think that's the actual design of the field. I'm sure the company that's paying for it, will have some kind of advertisement lol.

I don't think anybody said that was the actual design. We're all sure the TOP secret nsa company is going to have some sort of advertising

So looks like the Mississippi schools, Grambling and UAPB will be the only ones remaining in the SWAC with grass.

Astro turf was never used in NRG stadium for football games.

AstroTurf, the originator and market leader of artificial turf fields, announced on Friday, Sept. 18, that AstroTurf 3D will be used at NRG Stadium now that the Texans have moved away from tray grass for the season.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nrg-stadium-choses-astroturf-for-installation-300147816.html

ALABAMA STATE TO DEBUT NEW ASTROTURF FIELD

ASU3.jpg

Over the past week, the Hornets have been preparing for the debut of the new stadium by practicing on the new AstroTurf field.

From a performance standpoint, the make-up of the AstroTurf GameDay Grass 3D52H system stands out. This surface features the all new Horseshoe fiber. This new fiber is enjoying unprecedented success in the sports field marketplace, due to factors such as its unique shape. The fiber’s horseshoe shape features two end columns with a thicker diameter. The design imparts mechanical memory so that the fiber remains upright longer, unlike other fields whose fibers quickly flatten and split or shred at the spine. The Horseshoe fiber continues to spring back to its original configuration, even after years of heavy foot traffic or exposure to ultra-violet radiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back