Fan Ignorance, Greed is Killing the HBCU Sports Product

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
An angry Norfolk State University football fan contacted WAVY-TV in Norfolk recently, complaining about the university’s new homecoming policy to charge the cost of a game ticket for campus tailgating space.

I’m beyond irritated that Norfolk State University has made it mandatory to purchase a game ticket in order to attend the tailgating!! This is NSU 80th year anniversary and this is the year that a school that was just in the news for being in a financial bind wants to capitalize on tailgating???? I understand charging the tailgaters with SUVs, cars, tents etc but to charge people the price of a game ticket to tailgate is BEYOND unreasonable!!! NSU needs to find a better way to capitalize on homecoming! Because that’s not it!!!

Athletic officials attributed the new policy to a change in Virginia legislation which limits the amount colleges and universities can charge in student athletic fees.

“A lot of practices that we had in the past will not benefit us financially so we’re going to have to make an adjustment to increase our revenue in order to have a viable athletic program,” (Norfolk State Athletic Director Marty) Miller said.

If you are the type of fan to complain about the cost of tailgating during a weekend when most fans are primed to spend $300-$500 anyway on food, lodging, entertainment and gear, you don’t belong at Norfolk State homecoming. You haven’t paid the prerequisite amount necessary for complaining, and you probably would still be complaining even if NSU reverted back to a culture of financial favors and flexibility that is crippling HBCU athletic infrastructure on campuses across all four historically black conferences.

HBCUs don’t compete for national championships, we don’t crack top 25 rankings and we don’t get the best athletes because we, fans, would rather usurp all of the resources it takes for schools to build winning programs to cater to our broken sense of fan allegiance. We want our support to be earned and convenient, so we want cheap parking, concessions, paraphernalia and tailgating space, regardless of what it costs our schools to insure, secure, staff and produce all of these operations and functions.

http://hbcudigest.com/post/130764627506/fan-ignorance-greed-killing-hbcu-sports

I do remember Virginia changing their policy where schools can only have a certain percent of SAF (Student Athletic Fees) be used for their Athletic Budget. I believe that James Madison and Norfolk St. will be the main ones that fall victim of this new rule where JMU charges over $1,000 for SAF. The rule was but in place to make schools stop putting the majority of burden on the students and more of it on the alumni and fans. Now if you spend all that money coming from out of town to come to homecoming what is $20-$25.00 to you. The school could use that money.

I said it on Facebook that I have not complained much recently about HBCU (in my case Valley) alums who only come back for Homecoming. At least they do come back that one time a year. They will pay to get on campus, buy a game ticket (maybe), t-shirts and maybe an on-campus activity. That's a few hundred right there. Our problem is the % that doesn't give back (90% on average).

As you get older and you see the bigger pic, you won't complain as much when your school charges $75 or more to tailgate

I do remember Virginia changing their policy where schools can only have a certain percent of SAF (Student Athletic Fees) be used for their Athletic Budget. I believe that James Madison and Norfolk St. will be the main ones that fall victim of this new rule where JMU charges over $1,000 for SAF. The rule was but in place to make schools stop putting the majority of burden on the students and more of it on the alumni and fans. Now if you spend all that money coming from out of town to come to homecoming what is $20-$25.00 to you. The school could use that money.
NSU charges (ed) much more than $1K/year in student athletic fees. ODU also.

In comparison, GSU charges $100/semester in athletics fees, SU charges $190/semester, PV charges $189/semester.

Do any other SWAC schools charge based on sections? (i.e., a $10 section, a $20 section, etc)?

Do any other SWAC schools charge based on sections? (i.e., a $10 section, a $20 section, etc)?

Wow! I would have thought just about all of us did that except for the few that have serious attendance issues.

According to USA Today, in 2014, 79.22% of Norfolk States athletic revenue came from student fees, which means $9,613,812 of their total revenue of $12,134,980 came from student fees. With an enrollment right at 7,000 students, each student at NSU paid approximately $1,373.40 per year to help fund their athletic program. The new state policy will definitely hurt NSU's athletics.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Back