FAMU, why are you all calling PVAMU.... man.... smh

So we are suppose to believe they are calling for a first year head coach.

C'mon Mane

FAMUStyle get in here and straighten this Bullisht out mane.

He was a finalist for their Head Coach position doh-doh. Know what you're talking about next time before you speak on something you have no idea about...

The search committee hired to help choose Florida A&M's next head football coach narrowed down its list of choices to eight candidates during a Wednesday meeting, and is on track to submit three finalists to FAMU President Elmira Mangum by Dec. 17.

During Wednesday's meeting six of the committee members and chairman John Wooten created top five lists of who the new coach should be. The candidates were then ranked by how many top-five votes they received.

The eight candidates are: Charlie Weatherbie, former head coach at Louisiana-Monroe; Joker Phillips, former head coach at Kentucky; Willie Simmons, offensive coordinator at Alcorn State; Corey Fuller, interim head coach at Florida A&M; Latrell Scott, current head coach at Virginia State; Ester Junior III, a member of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame; Mark Orlando, offensive coordinator at Prairie View A&M; and Tony Samuel, former head coach at Southeast Missouri State.

Last edited:

Our AD is very accessible...but I can guarantee the answer won't be found on TSPN/HBCU Sports

And desperation has not set in...Coach Wood is only five games in and the AD guaranteed that he will be around for the duration of his contract at the very least.

He was a finalist for their Head Coach position doh-doh. Know what you're talking about next time before you speak on something you have no idea about...
Our AD is very accessible...but I can guarantee the answer won't be found on TSPN/HBCU Sports

And desperation has not set in...Coach Wood is only five games in and the AD guaranteed that he will be around for the duration of his contract at the very least.

Some people just have this obsession of needing to feel significant because of being a bottom feeder for so long they either make stuff up or willing to believe anything that they feel puts them in a good light. No matter how ridiculous it sounds

FAMU AD Overton: 'No quick fixes' for Rattlers
Jordan Culver, Democrat staff writer 11:23 a.m. EDT October 1, 2015

Florida A&M Athletic Director Milton Overton Jr. is still optimistic about where the university’s athletic department — particularly the football program — is going.

Overton said the Rattlers 0-4 start to the season is a product of years of attempted “quick fixes” for the program. Coaches have been fired before having time to build programs, and that instability has led to a glaring depth issue the Rattlers are competing with in 2015.

Overton on Wednesday said he fully expects FAMU head coach Alex Wood to be with the school for at least three years – the length of Wood’s current contract.

“I know what Alex Wood needs,” Overton said.

“We are in agreement with what he needs. He needs to fix the talent and the depth issue. And the resources and recruiting. Those are really the biggest things. What I’m not saying we don’t have talent on the football team. What I’m saying is we need widespread talent. Talent from the 1’s to the 3’s.”

The Rattlers have struggled through four games so far this season, and lost to Tennessee State on Saturday. FAMU kept the game close through the end of the third quarter, but eventually the Tigers pulled away for a 30-14 win.

The depth issue can be attributed how many coaches have been at the helm over the last few years, Overton said. Earl Holmes – and his entire staff – was fired after seven games last season. FAMU was 2-5 before homecoming, when Holmes was fired.

Other MEAC schools have plenty of “ammunition” in terms of recruiting against FAMU, Overton said. They could reference the fact FAMU has had four coaches at the helm (including Wood) since 2011. Schools could also talk about FAMU’s postseason ineligibility due to low APR scores.

“You typically have a five to seven percent attrition rate when a coach leaves,” Overton said. “As much as you’d like to believe student athletes come just for the school, a lot of them are very much connected to the recruiting process of the coach.

“Well if you do that times four or five times, you lose APR points.”

Consistency at the top is the only way for FAMU to recover, Overton said.

“Everybody has to buy into the process of building champions,” he said.

“The process is stability. You’ve got to have stability. Here’s what making a knee-jerk reaction about your football coach does: You might feel good temporarily, but long term, you’ve really just extended that situation for another two years every time you do it.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...-ad-overton-no-quick-fixes-rattlers/73103250/

Simmons is from Tallahassee and was a finalist for both Prairie View and FAMU. Prairie View got him first. FAMU might be a bigger name than Prairie View in football world but FAMU was going to need a lot of rebuilding especially on the offensive side of the ball. Simmons walked into a better situation at Prairie View than he would have at FAMU. Prairie View is on track to finish no less than 5th in the SWAC while FAMU wouldn't be favored to win any game in the SWAC. When I saw FAMU play they reminded me a lot of UAPB this year.

Milton Overton, the AD down at FAMU is my cousin. Trust me, he knows what he's doing with that program down in Tallahassee. He has resources back at OU where he played ball as well as TCU where he also worked before taking this position. Kudos kinfolk on your statement!

Back