FAMU President reprimmanded by Board of Trustees

HORNETSWARM

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/615/2660649/FAMU-president-reprimanded-by-Board-of-Trustees

By MIKE SCHNEIDER
Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Florida A&M University's Board of Trustees voted Thursday to publicly reprimand the school's president rather than place him on leave following the death of a band member in what detectives say was an incident related to hazing.

The 8-4 reprimand vote at a meeting in Orlando came in place of a motion to put FAMU President James Ammons on administrative leave until the criminal investigation into drum major Robert Champion's death is done. Detectives are probing the role of hazing in the Nov. 19 death.

When asked after the meeting if he thought he had "dodged a bullet," Ammons said, "I heard the bullet loudly and clearly."

Band director Julian White has been put on administrative leave pending the outcome of the death investigation, and board member Rufus Montgomery said Ammons should be treated in the same manner.

Montgomery also criticized the president for accreditation problems with some academic programs and for failing to keep the board informed.

"If the quarterback has thrown seven interceptions, you pull him from the game," Montgomery said at a board meeting in Orlando. "That is what we should do with Dr. Ammons."

Ammons became president of his Tallahasse-based alma mater in July 2007 and recently signed a new five-year contract. He talked to Champion's family the night of the death, suspended the Marching "100" band and fired White before he was forced to put him on temporary leave instead. Critics say Ammons should have been more aggressive in fighting hazing at the school.

Read rest of story

Florida A&M president to remain on job

Florida A&M University's president will keep his job while authorities investigate the hazing death of a band member.

The university's board of trustees on Monday rejected a call by Gov. Rick Scott that James Ammons be suspended.

The decision comes three days after the state medical examiner ruled that 26-year-old Robert Champion's Nov. 19 death was a homicide. Officials say he was beaten so severely that he bled internally and went into shock. He died within an hour.

Ammons and other university leaders have been criticized for not doing enough to stop a culture of hazing within the university's famed "Marching 100" band.

Band director Julian White has been placed on temporary leave and the board had already publicly reprimanded Ammons.

Link

He is politically dead. He needs to go. FAMU will pay a price for keeping him when it comes appropriations time.

Man whatever, the next president can't stop hazing either and I don't think they can openly lowball FAMU with appropriations. FAMU has a good President. If I were them, I would take my chances as well.

If the band director reported it to the administration and they expelled those who were found to be hazing then he did his job. This entire situation is a mess.

Man whatever, the next president can't stop hazing either and I don't think they can openly lowball FAMU with appropriations. FAMU has a good President. If I were them, I would take my chances as well.

Bullshat. Watch and see. That dental school and other expansions that FAMU was hoping for is gone. Ammons has no political juice left, he is as useless as Mason was after the merger deal went bust. He will be gone soon.

Back