EX-SOUTHERN JAG BASEBALL STAR TRYING HIS HAND IN THE NFL

SUjagTILLiDIE

EX-SOUTHERN JAG BASEBALL STAR TRYING HIS HAND IN THE NFL
Doug Williams gives Michael Woods a shot in the NFL

Michael Woods was playing second base in the Tigers' organization a little over a month ago, but now he's trying his hand at cornerback

May 06, 2006 - This weekend's mini-camp is an introduction for the Bucs' new rookies, but it is also a unique opportunity for several dozen tryout players, some of whom took winding paths to this point

OBSCURE ROOTS

As the head coach at Grambling, Doug Williams tried to recruit Baton Rouge prep star Michael Woods to his program in the late 1990s, only to lose out to Southern, the most powerful team in the Southwestern Athletic Conference at the time.

Southern wanted Woods for both football and baseball, but he ended up on the diamond exclusively, turning into one of the nation's best players as a power-hitting, base-stealing shortstop. The Detroit Tigers drafted Woods with the 32nd overall pick in the 2001 draft, installed him at second base and planned on building around him as one of the organization's top prospects

Rest of story
http://gojagsports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/050706aab.html

Don't be surprised if he doesn't make it. He was one of the best athletes I ever coached or saw play in the BREC leagues in baseball, football, basketball. He played on our Baton Rouge Bandits football team when we won city Championship for two years and was undefeated...that wasn't easy in the talented city leagues back in the early 90's. We had a lot of guys who went on to make a name in college ball and beyond. Some who were capable of playing never got a shot. Good Luck Heisman...show em what ya got!

Represent them Bandits!!! People used to always say he was the best football player to never play at SU.

Doug be looking out for the SWAC period. This is about the second SU guy that he has given a shot.

MikeBigg said:
Don't be surprised if he doesn't make it. He was one of the best athletes I ever coached or saw play in the BREC leagues in baseball, football, basketball. He played on our Baton Rouge Bandits football team when we won city Championship for two years and was undefeated...that wasn't easy in the talented city leagues back in the early 90's. We had a lot of guys who went on to make a name in college ball and beyond. Some who were capable of playing never got a shot. Good Luck Heisman...show em what ya got!
Mike played BREC baseball ??? BREC is the worst league in the city...Well YMCA is the worst and BREC is just above them..Thanks Doug for helping your home town out 225,well back then it was 504....GOOD LUCK MIKE WOODS...

OnlySU said:
Mike played BREC baseball ??? BREC is the worst league in the city...Well YMCA is the worst and BREC is just above them..Thanks Doug for helping your home town out 225,well back then it was 504....GOOD LUCK MIKE WOODS...

It was BBAA (Baker Brownsfield Athletic Assn) for baseball...his dad Mike Sr was the head coach and I assisted. Mike was an 8 year old playing in a 9-10 year old league. I remember they didn't want him to play at first and even smirked at us when they told us that we couldn't start a new team, but take over one that was 0-11 the year before. Well, we finished in third place but beat the first place team twice and split with the second place team... The next year we won the entire league going undefeated.

I coached him BREC football/basketball and later Biddy Basketball. He and my younger son played together and won two city championships in football (Aubrey Jones who played QB at Northwestern, Mike Daigre 3 yr starter at SS @ Grambling, Tyree Broden/Roderick Royal/Marcus Singleton played at McNeese, Corey & Brandon Talton played at Alcorn, Brandon Jones played at JSU). We were loaded!!!! Woods, Mike Daigre, and my youngest son Lamar all played Biddy Basketball...they finished as national runnerups in the tourney held in Florida against teams from throughout the US and Peurto Rico.

Hardworking kid... always intensly competitive.

Back