East Texas High School Football

East Tex Tiger

This is why Lufkin is one of the top high school programs in the Nation.

If it where not for Southlake Carrol Lufkin would have won 4 state championship in a row.

Outlaw praises community for support

By ANDY ADAMS, The Lufkin Daily News

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Lufkin football coach John Outlaw said he didn't tear into his players when they were trailing the nation's No. 1 team, Southlake Carroll, by 27-9 at halftime of their December playoff game ? a contest that could have been the Panthers' 15th straight victory.

?I did say, ?Is this the way we're going to close the chapter?'? Outlaw said Friday at the Angelina County Chamber of Commerce's monthly First Friday Luncheon at Crown Colony Country Club.

Then, after the Panthers fought back to tie the game at 30 but lost in the final seconds, Outlaw said he didn't know how he was going to perform what he called his biggest challenge as a coach ? ?mending broken hearts.?

Lufkin's fans helped him out.

Outlaw, choking up as he talked to the 200 people at Friday's luncheon, recalled hearing what sounded like a tornado from beneath Baylor's Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco. In reality, it was about 1,000 Panther fans (by his estimate), all chanting ?LP! LP!?

?That's Lufkin,? Outlaw said. ?That's Lufkin, Texas. That's heart.?

The coach, whose high school football teams have won 235 games, called it ?the most amazing thing I've ever seen.?

Outlaw gave First Friday attendees an update on the Abe Martin Stadium renovations, telling them fans can check out the new artificial turf (which should be completed by the end of next week, weather permitting) and the new video replay screen (?Nobody in East Texas has got one ? nobody ? except Lufkin?) during an open house set for Sept. 1. The event will also serve as the annual Meet the Panthers Night.

He said the biggest improvement for Lufkin High School's athletes ? particularly those who aren't in football ? will be the construction of a new indoor practice facility, which also will feature the next-generation turf.

Outlaw also joked ? maybe ? about how several Lufkin fans who arrived early at last year's game at The Woodlands (a team whose district the Panthers joined last year) had their cars towed when they parked in the home fans' parking spots. He said he told The Woodlands' coach this past week that this year their fans can park across Loop 287 from Abe Martin Stadium, at the sign that reads, ?You high-nose suckers can park here.?

Andy Adams' e-mail address is aadams@coxnews.com.

indoor facility? several schools in Dallas have one and now they have joined the elite club....community support is vital for success these days and it shows...plus, Lufkin has over 100,000 people and only 1 high school (is the 3a hudson in Lufkin?) so you put numbers, support and pride together you always get a winner...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hudson is adjacent to Lufkin. I do not think that Hudson plays football. In fact there a are several surrounding town that do not play football.

I cant wait until this Georgia High school football kicks off in another week. LaGrange High has won 3 out of the last 4 state championships...shouldve been 4 out of 4 but we got cheated out of one in Cedartown. Not to mention that about 5 of the previous championship team members will be starting for D-IA colleges this year. Watch out for the starting RB @ Florida, Skyler Thornton, starting QB @ South Carolina, Blake Mitchell, starting MLB @ Arkansas, Sam Olajubutu, and starting LB @ Auburn, Trey Blackmon. It'll be another strong year this year too. Hey MH remember when I told you it was the start of a dynasty? It wasnt even pretty what we did to poor MLK in the dome last year. :lmao:

It's back on fellas...

IMG_1686.JPG

the band fan said:
indoor facility? several schools in Dallas have one and now they have joined the elite club....community support is vital for success these days and it shows...plus, Lufkin has over 100,000 people and only 1 high school (is the 3a hudson in Lufkin?) so you put numbers, support and pride together you always get a winner...

Probably more like 50,000.

Lost a good bit of seniors but we bounce back like we do everyday. Players to watch this year, Anthony Blackmon, Emmanuel Harrell, and a few others. They have a defensive end standing 6'4 250 and he is a beast. The middle linebacker already knocked one out cold in the scrimmage game.... :what:

Projecting the District 17-4A football race

Brian Ross, The Daily Sentinel

Sunday, August 07, 2005

There's little doubt as to where the best Class 4A football in the state of Texas was played last year. Look no farther than right here in the Piney Woods and District 17-4A.

The eight-team league boasts a state champion (Kilgore), a state finalist (Marshall) and a state quarterfinalist (Jacksonville).

Kilgore rolled to an undefeated 16-0 record and the school's first state championship by mowing down the Division II playoff competition. Marshall treated the Division I foes in a similar fashion until a two-point loss to Ennis in the title game. And, for a while, it looked like only another 17-4A team would be able to dispatch Jacksonville. The Indians went three rounds deep, and only a one-point defeat against La Marque kept them from earning a rematch with Kilgore.

They play some very good football out in ETx ETT. I'm impressed. I know where it <b>begins</b> and I studied how it's implanted throughout the kids younger life. I'm thoroughly impressed.

But. lmao! If you think Lufkin, OP (Permian), Westlake, Tyler JT, Woodlands, ... or any other <b>traditional power</b> is gonna' climb Mt SouthLakeCarroll and win..... It won't happen. :D Dodge got them boyz clickin' and they reload every single year. They ain't fast and they ain't braggadocious. They just go out and dismantle teams. Sorta' like HP (Highland Park) does every single year. lol

They should make SLC a Division I-AA school and let'em compete there. They'd be champs in a few years like they've <b>traditionally</b> done @ every level of UIL football here. :lol:

The difference in Southlake and Duncanville is MONEY. Duncanville has only one high school and the middle schools run introductory plays as the high school. The middle school coaches are nothing but spies for the high school. However, every kid in the Southlake program goes to skill camps. They MASTER there position to the fullest of their ability for their level. Duncanville parents just don't have the money to send their kids off on a $4000 skill camp.

Da_Sperm said:
The difference in Southlake and Duncanville is MONEY. Duncanville has only one high school and the middle schools run introductory plays as the high school. The middle school coaches are nothing but spies for the high school. However, every kid in the Southlake program goes to skill camps. They MASTER there position to the fullest of their ability for their level. Duncanville parents just don't have the money to send their kids off on a $4000 skill camp.

Yep. The first school to have an indoor practice facility (2 50 yarders :shame: ), nice stadium - been by there but haven't made a game since they're always sold out lol, fan support, $$$$$$$$$, ... can't help but be successful. Even when the school was first created as a I-A, they had all of that support.

Panthro said:
They play some very good football out in ETx ETT. I'm impressed. I know where it <b>begins</b> and I studied how it's implanted throughout the kids younger life. I'm thoroughly impressed.

But. lmao! If you think Lufkin, OP (Permian), Westlake, Tyler JT, Woodlands, ... or any other <b>traditional power</b> is gonna' climb Mt SouthLakeCarroll and win..... It won't happen. :D Dodge got them boyz clickin' and they reload every single year. They ain't fast and they ain't braggadocious. They just go out and dismantle teams. Sorta' like HP (Highland Park) does every single year. lol

They should make SLC a Division I-AA school and let'em compete there. They'd be champs in a few years like they've <b>traditionally</b> done @ every level of UIL football here. :lol:

Highland Park doesnt dismantle teams every year. Has SLC ever won a 4a championship? I know they dominated 3a at one point.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Storm96 said:
Highland Park doesnt dismantle teams every year. Has SLC ever won a 4a championship? I know they dominated 3a at one point.

S96, by "dismantling" I meant that they are a given to return to the playoffs from this area and go deeeeeeeeeep in the playoffs before "other factors" come into play. Their success over the last 25+ years is irrefutable.

SLC has won <b>championships</b> @ every level of UIL competition offered. I-A, I-AA (there for just one year if memory serves correct :emlaugh: ), I-AAA, I-AAAA, and now I-AAAAA. I'm telling ya' if they could jump to Div I-AA college level, they'd dominate there too! :lol: Them boyz play good ball. :tup:

yes SLC has a good program. I didnt know they had won in 4a though. I know they got to the championship game atleast.

It was right before they went to the last level S96. They'd visited the championship games a few times or got derailed en route there before they finally won it (1 year - again, if memory serves correct).

They're the only school that I can recall that's won it @ every possible level. Gotta' respect that. I didn't like them from what I read in yesteryear but after meeting w/ some of their former players, those kids (and community) are committed to being the best athletically (football anyway lol) and they've done that. :tup:

Ditto for Highland Park. Didn't particularly care for'em because of their makeup but they get/got the job done. They almost look like men playing amongst boys the way they execute. Very, very, very, very, ... disciplined kids. :tup:

Coach James (former HC @ Carter during their "hey-days") invited me to attend a few of his home games and as I was standing on the sideline <b>just listening</b> to the "all-world" kids, I saw a change in my own perception. There was this kid, 6'-6" 245+ lbs of muscle @ TE. All-world, all-american, all-this that and the other but his attitude was *F*'d up. :| This guy had JUST caught an ~87 yard bomb from that left-handed guy Moore (I think he went on to OU during the early 90s). Outraced ALL competition along the sideline. The <b>closest</b> defender was ~20 yards by the time he crossed the goal line. This dumb ***** came OUT of the end-zone running damn near FULL speed towards this little bitty kid and SHOVED the ball into the kid's face mask. :| I was like WTF? :confused: Coach James threw his clip board into the air. Unsportsmanlike conduct, got TOSSED out of the game, etc... When Coach J attempted to talk (calmly mind you) to the kid the kid told Coach J: <b>Man, leave me da' *F* alone! I make Y-O-U look good Fred! :mad:</b> Undisciplined like a mofo. I asked if that's the type of BS that he'd put up w/ over the years and he didn't respond. He just stared @ me like damn... Can't wait to start my retirement soon. Shameful. Undisciplined football team. Athletically talented but very undisciplined.

That's why I've been drawn to the SLCs and HPs of the world as of late. lol I'm a sticular for discipline. :)

I dont know P, I havent found a 4a title for SLC. For the longest, LaMarque and Stephenville had a stranglehold on the 4a championship. Later on when it was split into two divisions, Ennis and Denton Ryan experienced sustained success.

1992:
3A Southlake Carroll 48, Coldspring 0

1993:
4A Stephenville 26, LaMarque 13
3A Southlake Carroll 14, Cuero 6

1994:
4A Stephenville 32, LaMarque 17

1995: 4A La Marque 31, Denison 8

1996: 4A Div II LaMarque 34, Denison 3

1997: 4A Div II La Marque 17, Denison 0

1998: 4A Div II Stephenville 34, La Marque 7

2002:
5A Div II Southlake Carroll def. Smithson Valley 45-14

2003:

5A Div II Katy def. Southlake Carroll 16-15

4A Div II La Marque def. Denton Ryan 43-35 (3 OT)

Gott dizzamit S96 u gone make me go to uil.com. :| (I presume that's where U got that aforementioned 411 from).

I remember in the 90s when Stephenville/LaMarque had a stranglehold on the 4A championships but I could've sworn that SLC was in there for one year (or did they lose it to LaMarque before entering 5a? :confused: ).

I'll holler back in a few...

La Marque comes out of the South so we've never played SLC. The only way the two would've met would be in the State championship. Its likely, Stephenville, Dension, or some other north texas team eliminated SLC before the championship game.

Back