"Don't be like Mike"

THAMES

Two Words ... Short Wife

Quanita should have been taller. This poor kid can't help but have pressure on him.

"Who is That .... Oh, that's Michael Jordon's son.

----------------------------------------

mike%20and%20jeff.widec.jpg

Michael Jordan to son: Don't be like Mike

NBA legend advises son, an Illinois walk-on, to blaze his own trail
By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 2:03 p.m. ET, Thurs., Nov. 8, 2007
Tune in to Friday's TODAY for Matt Lauer's exclusive interview with Michael and Jeff Jordan.
His last name is Jordan and his father?s first name is Michael, which means that when Jeff Jordan takes the court as a freshman with the University of Illinois basketball team, all eyes will be on him. But no matter what the expectations are of the fans and media, Michael Jordan doesn?t want his eldest child to be like Mike. Being like Jeff is all he asks.

?I want him to be his own person, you know?? Jordan, 44, said as he sat next to his son in a rare interview with TODAY co-host Matt Lauer that will air on Friday. ?I want him to enjoy his life, whatever he chooses to be that, you know? If you play basketball, you're a doctor, you're a lawyer, whatever, I'm gonna support you with the love and every effort, every inch of my body.?

The wide-ranging interview, recorded earlier in Illinois, covered everything from what the former NBA star told his children about his gambling to his divorce from their mother, Juanita, to the time Jeff Jordan beat his dad in a game of one-on-one hoops.

A guard, Jeff Jordan has his father?s lean build, but at 6-foot-1, he?s five inches shorter. Unlike his father, who was heavily recruited by colleges out of high school, Jeff Jordan enrolled at Illinois without the benefit of an athletic scholarship. He admits to being more shy than his dad and his younger brother, Marcus, a high-school junior, but, he said, he has the same drive to excel.

?He wants to be a basketball player, but he wants to do it on his own terms, which is all cool for me,? the six-time NBA champion said. ?The thing that we have tried to tell Jeff is that you set your own expectations. By no means in this world can you ever live up to someone else's expectations of who you are.?

Link...

http://blackcommunity.blackvoices.a...av=messages&webtag=ti-entertainmnt&tid=215167

Back