Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo: Fight of the Year

Robber

Consigliere
Did anyone else see this vicious war last night? I think this one might be the best fight I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies since I was 6 years old or so. Every round was a carbon copy of the previous round. Two lightweight champs standing in front of each other and hammering each other to see which one would finally fold. If the fight had gone the distance, I bet it woulda ended in a draw. I couldn't tell who was winning.

But then came that fateful 10th round. Castillo dropped Corrales with a left hook about 25 seconds into the round. Corrales took the standing 8 count, but Castillo was on him immediately and you could tell that Corrales didn't have much left. So Castillo dropped him again, and this time Corrales stayed down until the ref counted 9 and hopped up. Castillo resumed his assault and Corrales decided to throw some punches back. A Corrales left hook stopped Castillo in his tracks. Corrales then went on the assault and pinned Castillo on the ropes. From there, Coralles landed about 4 or five vicious lefts and rights making Castillo head snap back and forth like a bobble-head doll. Castillo's hand were by his side and eyes were looking up as he took them punches. The ref had to jump in and save him.

That 10th round will go down in infamy. If you missed it, I'm sure ESPN is trying to buy that one to show as an Instant Classic by next Friday. I just wish Showtime replayed fights like HBO does. I'd watch every replay.

I watched it last night. It was definitely one of the best fights I have ever seen. Jim Gray was right.

Great Fight that does not get attention with main stream America Sports. Real boxing fans know that Corrales and Castillo are two of the best fighters in the boxing game.

These are the fights that they need to build up and not just the fighters that they want you to know. :spin:

Rob you said a mouthful my man. That was a helluva fight, and I can only hope that a rematch is made, and they do this again.

I have 3 fighters that I won't bet against, and I'm always hyping. Bernard Hopkins, Diego "Chico" Corrales, and Manny Pacquaio (sp) (even though he lost a slugfest to Erik Morales), and my man Chico didn't disappoint me.

We went to my cousin's baby shower Saturday afternoon, and like any shower the women are upstairs, and the men are in the basement arguing everything from boxing, basketball, to who's the sexiest woman in entertainment. Man went at for a hour, and half on boxing Saturday, and other than the upcoming Trinidad/Wright fight this Saturday, we talked about Chico.

I talked so much schit about Chico, unitl my phone started ringing after the first knockdown, no sooner had I hung up the phone my man was down again, and I coud say was remember the Freitas fight, and WHAM! Tony Weeks was stopping Castillo from being carted off on a strectcher.

Chico is a bad muthaphugga, but that was a war in the truest boxing sense. I'm just afraid that Chico will be Evander Holyfield, or Fernando Vargas in a few years. Between the 2 Casamayor slugfest, the Frietas slugfest, the beatdown he took against Mayweather, and this fight, he's going to be a babbling punchdrunk fighter. In any case, I'll enjoy it while it last, my man brings that heat.

I haven't seen a fight that vicious since Duran/Barkley. I know the Gatti/Ward series was tight, but as Floyd Mayweather asked 2 weeks ago on the "Budweiser Hot Seat" who is Mickey Ward?

You can make an argument for Morales/Barrera I & III, even Morales/Pacquaio, but this one was pretty much toe 2 toe in the center of the ring from round 1 until it was stopped. Dayum, that's boxing.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Rob you said a mouthful my man. That was a helluva fight, and I can only hope that a rematch is made, and they do this again.

I have 3 fighters that I won't bet against, and I'm always hyping. Bernard Hopkins, Diego "Chico" Corrales, and Manny Pacquaio (sp) (even though he lost a slugfest to Erik Morales), and my man Chico didn't disappoint me.

We went to my cousin's baby shower Saturday afternoon, and like any shower the women are upstairs, and the men are in the basement arguing everything from boxing, basketball, to who's the sexiest woman in entertainment. Man went at for a hour, and half on boxing Saturday, and other than the upcoming Trinidad/Wright fight this Saturday, we talked about Chico.

I talked so much schit about Chico, unitl my phone started ringing after the first knockdown, no sooner had I hung up the phone my man was down again, and I coud say was remember the Freitas fight, and WHAM! Tony Weeks was stopping Castillo from being carted off on a strectcher.

Chico is a bad muthaphugga, but that was a war in the truest boxing sense. I'm just afraid that Chico will be Evander Holyfield, or Fernando Vargas in a few years. Between the 2 Casamayor slugfest, the Frietas slugfest, the beatdown he took against Mayweather, and this fight, he's going to be a babbling punchdrunk fighter. In any case, I'll enjoy it while it last, my man brings that heat.

I haven't seen a fight that vicious since Duran/Barkley. I know the Gatti/Ward series was tight, but as Floyd Mayweather asked 2 weeks ago on the "Budweiser Hot Seat" who is Mickey Ward?

You can make an argument for Morales/Barrera I & III, even Morales/Pacquaio, but this one was pretty much toe 2 toe in the center of the ring from round 1 until it was stopped. Dayum, that's boxing.

NICE
Yeah, Nice, Corrales will have some problems later in life. Dude is just too willing to take, just to give his. And he really has the skills to avoid that. And my heart went out to Chico when he went down the first time. I said to myself after the 8th that one of them would have to cave in, and I would feel for whichever one it was. And I was quietly pulling for Chico. I just accepted the inevitable until he landed that left hook that stopped Castillo dead in his tracks.

As for the best fight, this one takes it for me. I've seen some wars, and before this fight, Simon Brown-Tyrone Trice I was the best for me. And that one went 14 rounds. In the Morales/Barrera/Pacquio fights, there was either a little lull here and there, or you knew who was winning, even though the fight was great.

I don't know if either of them could do that again. I wouldn't put myself through that.

Rob, one of the things that p'd me off with Dan Goosen, was he never advised Chico to fight from the outside. In the few instances in the fight that he fought from the outside, he was hitting Castillo at will. He set up with the jab, and hurt him with the right that followed.

Goosen never picked up on that, and advised him to do otherwise. Why let your fighter take that kind of beating, when he clearly didn't have to? Al Bernstein picked up on it, and thought they would change strategies, but it never happened.

You're right, if they do it again, I don't think either will fight that kind of war again, just too brutal.

Even though I was with Chico, it was hard to see anyone of them lose a fight like that, and like you, before the knockdowns, and TKO, I thought it would've been a draw if they would've went to the scorecards. Couldn't have it any other way, definitely not a split decision unless one of them just didn't have any gas left in the 11th, and 12th round. Which did happen, because they both took hellacious shots the entire fight, until fatigue set in.

NICE

Back