Delaware State Students Protest To Remain Predominantly Black

Nonchalant

Hail, Hail To Thee...
http://hbcuconnect.com/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?blog_id=227567&cid=1&edit

DSU STUDENTS PROTEST TO REMAIN A PREDOMINANTLY BLACK UNIVERSITY & DEMAND MORE BLACK PROFESSORS

n070921_2shooting.jpg

The students of Delaware State University will gather in front of the campus administration building to protest against the actions of their very own administration. They are demanding that they have more African American tenured professors and stop the constant decrease of admitted African American students. It is understood that by the start of the 2012 fall semester, Delaware State University will be less than 50 percent black. The students of this historically black institution find this unacceptable and believe the culture of their university is fading away.

Given the fact that the Supreme Court is now hearing a case that could potentially end affirmative action, we wonder what will happen to Blacks who live in Delaware and the greater mid-Atlantic region if Delaware State turns white like West Virginia and Bluefield State. Where will they be able to go to school if segregation is legally reinstated? The passing of this law will affect the collegial education and other aspects of American life where minorities are affected

Recently, the ratio of African Americans at two historically black universities, West Virginia State and Blue Field State University, has dramatically decreased. These colleges were once predominantly black and now are primarily white. The culture and the purpose that the university was founded on is now gone. The students of Delaware State University fear that they are next.

In addition to the lack of African American students attending Delaware State University, there is an even greater lack of African American professors. According to a document disseminated by Delaware State University administration in May of 2011, African American tenured faculty at DSU is less than 20%. Of 43 Full Professors, there are fewer than seven African Americans. Of 65 associate professors, only 14 are African American. About 30% of those African Americans listed above are at retirement age. This means that within the next few years, the African American tenured faculty will be fewer than 14%. In other words, the African American faculty at DSU is on the brink of extinction. There are some departments on campus that have no African American faculty members.

I expect this to happen to many HBCUs - TSU was fortunate. It does not make financial sense to have multiple state universities in one city. The other push is the perception that HBCUs are no longer needed in our society.

I expect this to happen to many HBCUs - TSU was fortunate. It does not make financial sense to have multiple state universities in one city. The other push is the perception that HBCUs are no longer needed in our society.

Of course you do you wouldn't be old hornet if you didn't. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Actually I had a debate With a Delaware alumni on the MEAC page a year or so about this when he/she started taunting about how there was talk about them leaving the MEAC and joining a PWC.

They thought it was all great then.

Actually I had a debate With a Delaware alumni on the MEAC page a year or so about this when he/she started taunting about how there was talk about them leaving the MEAC and joining a PWC.

They thought it was all great then.

I've been following the back and forth with the MEAC schools, including my alma-mater, and I feel like some of em are so shortsighted in wanting to prove something on the football field that they're losing sight of the big picture. They keep it up it's gonna wind up costing us our schools.

Back