Death of the College Dream?

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
Death of the College Dream?
Anthony Hales Jr.​

For the past two months, Americans have struggled to figure out what exactly the Occupy Wall Street movement is about. Who are the protestors? What do they stand for? What is their agenda? These are the questions that have been asked by many but no one has seemed to produce a solid answer. Whatever the case may be, they are clearly frustrated with the status quo in America. To borrow from a popular 90’s era rock band, there is a rage against the machine. While the occupy movement has named a long list of villains, one consistent target has been higher education and for good reason.

For most of the past century, American kids have been sold the college dream. If they put in the hardwork to obtain a college degree, they will be rewarded with a good job and a stable career. This message has been preached for good reason, commonly cited statistics show that college graduates on average earn over $1 million more than their less educated counterparts throughout their lifetime. For a long time, the simple fact that a student had a degree demonstrated to potential employers that a person was capable of learning and therefore, qualified for employment. American magazines and television interviews are filled with rags to riches stories in which college degrees help spring people up the socio-economic ladder.

Americans for the most part, have bought into the college dream. Higher education has seen a growth almost unparalleled by any other industry over the past four decades. Data published by the U.S. Department of Education shows that enrollments at American degree granting institutions have come close to tripling since 1970. As America shifted from low-skill to high skill jobs during the latter 20th century, bachelor’s degrees went from being commodities to almost necessities to participate in the American economy. After congress removed income caps from federally backed student loans in 1978, students were basically able to attend any college they qualified for and the college arms race began.

While a college education is still essential to thriving in many industries in America, a shifting economy, growing student loan debt and high unemployment and underemployment rates among recent graduates require that we reconsider the college dream. Student loan debt is set to hit a trillion dollars in 2011 and many Americans have no clue on how they will pay off their loans. Considered to be one of the most inflexible debts by many analysts, student loans cannot be discharged during bankruptcy and hover above the head of indebted graduates like an anvil in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. The great recession has had a catastrophic effect on recent college graduates with high unemployment rates and underemployment rates not far behind for those lucky enough to find jobs. Shifts in the economy have left many questioning the viability of certain degrees and a recent proposal on slate.com by Yale Law Professors, Akhil Reed Amar and Ian Ayres suggests that law schools pay lower performing students to quit.

Despite seeing an arguable decrease in pure economic value over the past decade and a half, the price of four year degrees at most American public and private universities has drastically increased. Driven mainly by decreased state financial support, tuition rose again across the country at twice the rate of inflation in 2011 . This continues a trend that has been in place since the early 90’s. To make the point plain and simple, we now pay a lot more for college degrees than we did 20 years ago that are arguably worth a lot less than they were 20 years ago.

The writing on the wall is there, the status quo in higher education is unsustainable. Young people are paying attention; they see their older siblings and friends graduating with outlandish student loan debt burdens and decreased job prospects and are beginning to ask questions. Then, there are those who went through the system, feel bamboozled and are speaking out at the occupy protests, on blogs, on social networks and on editorial pages across the country. For many, the college dream is starting to sound like a myth and a revolution against the system is brewing.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well Pop, let me add another viewpoint....

What about those kids who get trapped in the "college" cyle? Parents really need to observe what is going on in college campuses nowadays. The FAMU Band Incident is only the tip of the Iceberg in terms of what is going on within these campuses.

BH,
Most of that is simply personality and personal values. I don't think that represents a large segment of the college population.

I think the biggest problem is that colleges have no incentives to control cost because they are not punished in traditional economic terms. If colleges saw decreases in enrollment every time they raised their tuition, they would second guess what are really necessary expenses. However, the current system has created an inelastic demand and encouraged universities to keep this rigid system.

Let me also say this, bachelors degree programs have become too long. They can be shortened easily. There should also be options for testing out of certain portions of a program (not literal testing necessarily) if a student proves he has acquired the necessary knowledge. In the 21st century, all knowledge need not come in classroom format. There also needs to be more centralized planning at the State level for college programs. It makes no sense to have 15 Literature programs in a State.

The current system in my opinion is unsustainable and will come crashing down. That is a good thing. The Ivory Tower has fought change since the Yale Report of 1828.

I also believe that any University that receives federal funds and wishes to raise its tuition higher than CPI for that year should be required to produce a detailed expense report.

BH,
Most of that is simply personality and personal values. I don't think that represents a large segment of the college population.

I think the biggest problem is that colleges have no incentives to control cost because they are not punished in traditional economic terms. If colleges saw decreases in enrollment every time they raised their tuition, they would second guess what are really necessary expenses. However, the current system has created an inelastic demand and encouraged universities to keep this rigid system.

Let me also say this, bachelors degree programs have become too long. They can be shortened easily. There should also be options for testing out of certain portions of a program (not literal testing necessarily) if a student proves he has acquired the necessary knowledge. In the 21st century, all knowledge need not come in classroom format. There also needs to be more centralized planning at the State level for college programs. It makes no sense to have 15 Literature programs in a State.

The current system in my opinion is unsustainable and will come crashing down. That is a good thing. The Ivory Tower has fought change since the Yale Report of 1828.

In the past, you stated that colleges should do selective enrollment. I agree with you. Open Enrollment has made us lower our standards and should not be tolerated any longer.

Superb Article Pop:tup: Are you going to have it published in a Weekly/Monthly Journal?

In the past, you stated that colleges should do selective enrollment. I agree with you. Open Enrollment has made us lower our standards and should not be tolerated any longer.

Superb Article Pop:tup: Are you going to have it published in a Weekly/Monthly Journal?

Yes, we don't have to be super selective but open enrollment is a University killer and in my opinion, a bad idea at the University level. That is one reason that community colleges exist. To let a bunch of students into school that you know have a very low chance of actually completing does no one a favor. Hurts your graduation rate and lets them compile student loan debt.

When I first got to DC, UDC had a 2% on-time graduation rate and was known as the University of Dumb Children.

Trying to submit to my graduate school journal. Peer Review Journals are a good way to build credibility.

Yes, we don't have to be super selective but open enrollment is a University killer and in my opinion, a bad idea at the University level. That is one reason that community colleges exist. To let a bunch of students into school that you know have a very low chance of actually completing does no one a favor. Hurts your graduation rate and lets them compile student loan debt.

When I first got to DC, UDC had a 2% on-time graduation rate and was known as the University of Dumb Children.

Trying to submit to my graduate school journal. Peer Review Journals are a good way to build credibility.

Good article pop! Where are you in grad school in the DC area and what program?

I just finished a Masters in Public Policy at George Mason University. I am trying to move into Higher Education Policy.

Oh okay. I figured that by the writings. Have you looked at GW's program? I almost went there for my EdD, but Arkansas offered more money lol. But GW has a really good Higher Ed Policy Masters and EdD program. If I remember correcty, the only PhD in education that GW offered was in leadership or ed admin. The director of the program is Dr. Rick Jakeman. I can send you his info, if you need it. The good thing is that if you can get on with a federal agency (or if you already work for one) you can try to get them to fund it or provide tuition remission. GW does not provide many fellowships or funding, but I was very impressed with the profs and the coursework. Nice points though - we need more brothers in the higher education policy field. Good luck!

I currently work for the Department of Education. I am hoping to jump over to our Postsecondary Education Policy Shop. My plan is to work there and intern on the Education/Workforce committee for a while.

I currently work for the Department of Education. I am hoping to jump over to our Postsecondary Education Policy Shop. My plan is to work there and intern on the Education/Workforce committee for a while.

Do and run with it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back