College Football Playoff Payouts/Revenue Distribution for 2014-15

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
UPDATE: Conference-by-conference payouts based on bowl placements that were announced 12/7/14: click here.

Initial estimates for College Football Playoff payouts are posted on the CFPs website. Here’s a breakdown:

Base Amount

• Power Five (ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12): each conference will receive approximately $50 million, which includes $300,000 for each school’s football team meeting the NCAA’s APR minimum for participation in a bowl game.
  • Group of Five (American, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt): these five conferences will receive $75 million total, including $300,000 for each school’s football team meeting the NCAA’s APR minimum for participation in a bowl game). The conferences have decided among themselves how to divide this money, which is reportedly $60 million split evenly and the remaining $15 million divided based on how the conferences rank against one another based on team performance. (Note: Some other numbers in the linked article don’t match the CFP website.)
  • Notre Dame will receive $2.3 million, which is predicated on meeting the APR minimum.
  • Army, Navy and BYU will split a total of $922,658.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/...yoff-payoutsrevenue-distribution-for-2014-15/

Towson Tigers to get payout from NCAA championship

When the Towson University Tigers take to the field this Saturday in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision final, it will mean much more to the team than a great day on the gridiron.

The game against undefeated North Dakota State means national exposure — it airs on ESPN2 beginning at 2 p.m. — and revenue for the school. Each participant receives a portion of a payout for being in the game.

Towson Athletic Director Tim Leanord was not immediately available for comment, so we don’t quite know — yet — how much the school stands to get. But it’s likely not going to be anywhere near the more than $15 million payout Florida St. and Auburn will receive for playing in the BCS National Championship on Jan. 6. It will most likely be a percentage of a $100,000 payout.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2014/01/02/ncaa-championship-game-has-a-lot.html?page=all

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Hey BH123, What's your solution to that problem there? ^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Hwy BH123, What's your solution to that problem there? ^^^^^^^^
Don't worry. Texas Terror will swoop in and give statistical data to prove that those back to back runner up titles SHSU benefitted from with "soft money", robust enrollment growth and attendance far out weighs silly payout money.

Don't worry. Texas Terror will swoop in and give statistical data to prove that those back to back runner up titles SHSU benefitted from with "soft money", robust enrollment growth and attendance far out weighs silly payout money.

Nah after is failed letter writing campaign, he probably won't be around for awhile.

At the end of the day, we all get what we want.

SHSU plays for an NCAA national title in football and remains a player in the FCS national title conversation. SHSU lost two seniors from last year's FCS semifinal team.. Another fun year ahead for the Bearkats!

The SWAC gets to continue to play for a "mythical national title" that is as real as the Bearkat mascot, continues to get the exposure it wants and no one generally cares that the level of competition in the SWAC is not on an equal footing with the rest of FCS (see BH123's post of a few minutes ago asking how this is). Plus, SWAC schools get extra $$$ to utilize from the Celebration Bowl, some of those schools will get called out on TSPN for continuing to figure out ways to improperly spend it. Rinse and repeat! It's all one big circle here on TSPN.

Nah after is failed letter writing campaign, he probably won't be around for awhile.

Failed letter writing campaign? .Confused. Are you hoping that I'll begin writing letters to get Southern enough money to hire a firm to do what their University officials cannot as it relates to the APR problems? William Broussard said they do not have the money to bring in a firm to do APR. Hence, the delay to get a result acceptable to the NCAA continues and your student-athletes continue to suffer. It really is a bad situation. If you were counting on me to write the letters, I'm sure sorry to disappoint.

At the end of the day, we all get what we want.

SHSU plays for an NCAA national title in football and remains a player in the FCS national title conversation. SHSU lost two seniors from last year's FCS semifinal team.. Another fun year ahead for the Bearkats!

The SWAC gets to continue to play for a "mythical national title" that is as real as the Bearkat mascot, continues to get the exposure it wants and no one generally cares that the level of competition in the SWAC is not on an equal footing with the rest of FCS (see BH123's post of a few minutes ago asking how this is). Plus, SWAC schools get extra $$$ to utilize from the Celebration Bowl, some of those schools will get called out on TSPN for continuing to figure out ways to improperly spend it. Rinse and repeat! It's all one big circle here on TSPN.

Failed letter writing campaign? .Confused. Are you hoping that I'll begin writing letters to get Southern enough money to hire a firm to do what their University officials cannot as it relates to the APR problems? William Broussard said they do not have the money to bring in a firm to do APR. Hence, the delay to get a result acceptable to the NCAA continues and your student-athletes continue to suffer. It really is a bad situation. If you were counting on me to write the letters, I'm sure sorry to disappoint.

Actually what he's really saying is, we're not going to waste money being strong armed by the NCAA and will let you chase after your cheap trophy and split your measly $100,000.

Last edited:
99.9999% of America couldn't tell you who won the 2014 FCS NCAA National Championship.

And I do not have a problem with that. It's the same with many NCAA sports.

How many of you knew that Arizona State was adding Division I hockey? You probably did not, however the "next big story" in the NCAA once you get past this whole 'cost of attendance' deal is going to be the rise of college hockey. That's going to be a neat story to follow as many other schools in the 'West' and 'South' may start adding the sport. A few more Big 10 and Pac-12 programs are investigating. If Arizona State takes off, will lead to others and sure enough, college hockey will come into our vernacular.

I'm just happy Sam Houston State has a competitive Division I FCS program, is in the national championship conversation on an annual basis and has a vehicle as non-football schools struggle immensely (unless they are a hoops power - see Gonzaga-types) to promote their institution, campus life without it.

So how much respect and selling to potential recruits the SLC plays it's tournament championship in a high school gym in the suburbs of Houston?

I recall a certain somebody was adamant about...

"It's us (I-AA) against the world!" or as they'd say it, "I-AA all the way!"

Then there was more comments about...

"We are the highest NCAA division to play for a "REAL" football national championship."

Then a report came out that a certain school was doing a study on moving from FCS to FBS it became...

"Hey, we are just doing what's in the best interest of our student athletes."

All the while a certain somebody kept up with the admonishment of the brand, culture, tradition and pageantry of HBCU football only to have a "certain school" start up a "classic" football game with it's in-state rival taking it away from each institution's campus and to a neutral stadium.

Now fast-forward to 2015 and the HBCU brand still gets sarcasm, snarky remarks and degradation. Imagine that!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Then a report came out that a certain school was doing a study on moving from FCS to FBS it became...

All the while a certain somebody kept up with the admonishment of the brand, culture, tradition and pageantry of HBCU football only to have a "certain school" start up a "classic" football game with it's in-state rival taking it away from each institution's campus and to a neutral stadium.

Now fast-forward to 2015 and the HBCU brand still gets sarcasm, snarky remarks and degradation. Imagine that!

Methinks I know who you're talking about. As my colleague (who works at a certain school I think you're talking about) said, "they need to stay where the hell they're at!"

So how much respect and selling to potential recruits the SLC plays it's tournament championship in a high school gym in the suburbs of Houston?

As much as it is a high school facility, the Merrell Center has a fantastic setup. Do you think playing at the H&PE Center, Hofheinz Pavillion or Tudor Fieldhouse is much different. Honestly? Outside of being branded a 'HS facility' vs a 'college facility', I do not see much difference.

I know the league would like to move the tournament to somewhere else - perhaps to the location of the Sun Belt tournament, held at a Southland Conference gym - but the conference ultimately draws most of its fans from the near to Houston schools (SHSU ,SFA) who have been the most successful.

Keeping the tournament in the Houston area is what is best for business. And the Southland basketball product has not suffered due to location of the event. If anything, it's benefit from success of Houston area schools. They draw well there compared to if it were on campus sites.

I've mellowed out a bit on what I feel about FCS and Southland in general. I like the FCS model as it relates to determining a national champion in football (all parties get a seat at table - sort of like the NCAA basketball tournament, which lets all leagues in from first-to-last in conference RPI) and the excitement it provides as every week of the season seems to matter more than FBS, where it is near impossible for a MAC or Sun Belt team to get into the playoffs.

However, I also think the current Southland is not the best situation for Sam Houston long-term for varying reasons.

And on the BOTPW, it is what is best for business like the Southland Basketball tournament. More people are willing to come to a SHSU sporting event in Houston than Huntsville because it's more accessible, this is where the alumni is, etc. It's a shame SFA has not held their end of the bargain just yet or we'd crack the 30k mark handily. Just like the 'Celebration Bowl' is what is best for business for the SWAC as it enables the TDC and BC to happen, which are ultimately opportunities for schools on the low end of the totem pole (i.e. MVSU) to make some extra $$$ to keep their athletic department Division I.

The SLC and especially the SWAC, are low-hanging fruit in the Division I landscape, especially on the financial side of things. Opportunities such as guarantee games and the like associated with Division I that yield more money are what keeps the Nicholls States and Mississippi Valley's afloat.

As much as it is a high school facility, the Merrell Center has a fantastic setup. Do you think playing at the H&PE Center, Hofheinz Pavillion or Tudor Fieldhouse is much different. Honestly? Outside of being branded a 'HS facility' vs a 'college facility', I do not see much difference.

What I am alluding to is that your NCAA Division I collegiate conference championship is played ON a high school campus IN a high school facility and has been what..... 10 years now?

So when recruiting a potential student athlete a SLC coach tells him/her they will be rewarded by playing their championship game in a high school stadium. Now let that had been the SWAC ohhh the ammunition you'd have with that.

Actually, H&PE is nicer than Merrell Center since we've had major office, locker room, court upgrades and overall aesthetics since 2011.

Last edited:
Back