Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for the anthem in protest

Eagles rookie Myke Tavarres plans to join Colin Kaepernick in sitting out national anthem

Speaking to ESPN, Eagles rookie linebacker Myke Tavarres said that he plans on sitting down during the anthem this Thursday against the New York Jets in the team's final preseason game, a move Kaepernick made this past week to show his displeasure with how racial minorities are treated in America.

"We've got an issue in this country in this day and age, and I feel like somebody needs to step up and we all need to step up," Tavarres said to ESPN. "We've got that right. There's just a lot going on that people don't want to talk about, and I feel like us as athletes, we're looked at as role models."

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/08/eagles_rookie_myke_tavarres_plans_to_join_colin_ka.html

Interesting, a black athlete gets run through the ringer for refusing to stand for the national anthem, but the white player, that hits his wife and gets arrested and that gets a brush over. The game is alive and well. To be concern about spousal abuse, maybe a black athlete needs to hit his wife instead of the athlete being white.

This is why Kapernick is sitting. The police investigation always exonerated themselves. I guess that why don't like to release videos while they are investigating.

Last edited:
I am happy an athlete is willing to take a stance on a social issue.

Its interesting to listen to some of the european americans discuss why they are against what he is doing. I have reminded some of my european american co-workers that we grew up in different americas, our experiences with racial and societal experiences and expectation are VERY DIFFERENT. Someone needs to have the conversation with some of the european americans NFL players.

He made his statement, let's see whether he's ready to pay the price for it. Civil Rights activists paid for their activism, jail and some with their lives.
Most died broke but what is Life if You only live it for Your own selfish intentions while neglecting the plight of the disenfranchised if You can make a difference. Our Elders paid a heavy price.....

87% of white folks kill each other every year but know one talks about that. White males are dying off at a rapid pace that in less then 10-15 years they will almost extinct but every one ignores that. White folks are dying off in rapid numbers to drugs faster and more then ever before but America tells you all is good in white land. In fact I read the other day heroin and meth is killing whites daily at 10℅. Stay tuned the white world is about to be exposed.

Well shame on all these "Step and Fetch It" Negroes for allowing the NFL to "Make" you sing/play the National Anthem during the Super Bowls! How could you all step so low, knowing how America oppresses Black Folk?

Dayum you: GSU, SU, Diana Ross, Wynton Marsalis, Whitney Houston, Natalie Cole, Vanessa Williams, Luther Vandross, Mariah Carey, Beyonce' Aretha Franklin, Jordin Sparks, Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys! Y'all sanging the "Oppressor" song. (But we'z bragging that you got invited)

And another thing, the Presidential Inauguration Parade occurs in January, don't nahhh one of you "Oppressed Negroes" brag about your Band being invited to play for "Massa" in front of the "White" House! You same "Oppressed Negroes" remember not to stand up on Friday, Saturday or Sunday at games when the National Anthem is played.

One final thing, If by chance another Natural Disaster occurs, don't you dare accept Uncle Sam's FEMA money! Remember "You'z Oppressed" and should not take your oppressors hand outs............

Most died broke but what is Life if You only live it for Your own selfish intentions while neglecting the plight of the disenfranchised if You can make a difference. Our Elders paid a heavy price.....

Lol...Having a $14m guaranteed contract for this season is not a terrible price to pay for his activism.

Lol...Having a $14m guaranteed contract for this season is not a terrible price to pay for his activism.
I don't put anything pass those folks. Nothing. How much of that money is gonna touch his hand? He gotta pay bills...agent fees...lawyers...etc. We don't know who he taking care of in his family.

Well shame on all these "Step and Fetch It" Negroes for allowing the NFL to "Make" you sing/play the National Anthem during the Super Bowls! How could you all step so low, knowing how America oppresses Black Folk?

Dayum you: GSU, SU, Diana Ross, Wynton Marsalis, Whitney Houston, Natalie Cole, Vanessa Williams, Luther Vandross, Mariah Carey, Beyonce' Aretha Franklin, Jordin Sparks, Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys! Y'all sanging the "Oppressor" song. (But we'z bragging that you got invited)

And another thing, the Presidential Inauguration Parade occurs in January, don't nahhh one of you "Oppressed Negroes" brag about your Band being invited to play for "Massa" in front of the "White" House! You same "Oppressed Negroes" remember not to stand up on Friday, Saturday or Sunday at games when the National Anthem is played.

One final thing, If by chance another Natural Disaster occurs, don't you dare accept Uncle Sam's FEMA money! Remember "You'z Oppressed" and should not take your oppressors hand outs............

Damn, who hurt your feelings?

As long as I pay taxes I will get what America owes me. Funny the Republican southerners especially Louisiana voted against FEMA for the East Coast now those same southern Christian white want money from FEMA to help their poor nasty white trashy azz. Another thing stop thinking white soldiers in WW1 and WW2 died for our black butts. Those same white soldiers would turn over in their grave if they knew Obama was president. Please stop believing poor people don't pay taxes. If you buy a piece of bubble gum from the store you pay taxes. Those 7 to 13 cents on anything pay for the roads, sewer and everything else in your state. Stop listening to these hateful, idiotic small prick white males. The best thing happening to this country is white males dying off in rapid numbers. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when Trump loses. Nothing like the defeat of a poor piece of trash.

Kap hasn't asked anybody to follow him neither was he seeking attention. Somebody asked him why and he had the audacity to tell the truth.

If you don't agree or support him that's your choice but like the thousands of others that gave the same excuses to Dr. King and more than likely Jesus.

One thing is for certain.... You won't have any trouble benefitting from the sacrifice because it cost you nothing

Last edited:
Jerry Rice chimes in on this. I remember an interview he had with Dick Schaap around 1995 or a few years later. Schaap, a longtime member of the media, was going to ask a question or two about race. Rice did not want to discuss it. He quickly shut down the questioning.

----------

Jerry Rice on Colin Kaepernick: ‘All Lives Matter; Don’t Disrespect the Flag’
Fix it, Black Jesus.

The Root Staff
BY: THE ROOT STAFF
Posted: August 30, 2016
When we know better, we should do better.

For instance, growing up we were taught in Texas that Sam Houston and William Travis and all of the other "icons" who fought in the war against Mexico were heroes for defeating Santa Ana and the Mexican army. Well not so fast...I found out recently (several years ago actually) that the reason for the war was Mexico did not want slavery in Texas and Texas was still part of Mexico at the time. From the day I found out the truth Santa Ana has been my hero.

Kap hasn't asked anybody to follow him neither was he seeking attention. Somebody asked him why and he had the audacity to tell the truth.

If you don't agree or support him that's your choice but like the thousands of others that gave to same excuses to Dr. King and more than likely Jesus.

One thing is for certain.... You won't have any trouble benefitting from the sacrifice because it cost you nothing

And again I ask those who profess to be followers of the Christ......What Did Jesus Do?

We do not have to wonder what WOULD He do.

'IT IS WRITTEN'

I hope Odums and some of our other coaches...do the same...

f it...Let's do something...

Let's see how it will play out this Saturday

For instance, growing up we were taught in Texas that Sam Houston and William Travis and all of the other "icons" who fought in the war against Mexico were heroes for defeating Santa Ana and the Mexican army. Well not so fast...I found out recently (several years ago actually) that the reason for the war was Mexico did not want slavery in Texas and Texas was still part of Mexico at the time. From the day I found out the truth Santa Ana has been my hero.

I first heard that Houston, Travis, Crockett were heroes. Then in another history book, I as a kid read where Houston was a slave owner and was a big proponent of it. Years later I saw where Mexico was against slavery. Or course my opinions changed.

Also, one needs to read about Haiti, Simon Bolivar and the Spanish American (South or Latin) American Wars for Independence.

And many of those at the Alamo were from Alabama and had fought with Jackson in the Creek War and Battle of New Orleans and played a major role in the "Trail of Tears".

As someone who enlisted in the U.S Air Force at 19, after flunking out of college; I can tell you, most black people aren’t in the military because they love this country. They’re there because they effed up and are going away to reinvent themselves, they grew up in the hood and there was limited/no other opportunities, or they need money for college — ergo Montgomery GI Bill.

So, let’s stop with the “you’re disrespecting other black people who fought for your freedom by not standing or placing your hand over your heart during the National Anthem” rhetoric.

First of all, the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner — as penned by Francis Scott Key from “Defence of Fort M’Henry” were written in 1814. Slavery was still on and popping. So, we’re supposed to be in awe of this great land, and all its opportunities–when black people were still slaves at the time?

Secondly. Exactly which war was fought on behalf of the freedom of black people? At its core, the Civil War was fought over state autonomy and state vs federal authority…not freeing slaves. According to the 1857 Dred Scott decision, no person with African blood could become a U.S. citizen. This wasn’t even even 200 years ago, folks.

Thirdly. Where was all this false patriotism when my uncles and other black men returned from the Vietnam War and were booed and spat on? Can you imagine what it must’ve been like to be drafted into a war, experience racism from racist superiors, be exposed to Agent Orange, and return to systemic racism, and oppression in a country you just “fought for”?

Suddenly, we’re “unpatriotic” and a “stupid n****r” if we don’t want to pledge allegiance to an inanimate object or stand in awe of a song professing of “the land of the free” when this country was built on the free-labored backs of the our ancestors? Seriously?

Furthermore, “Fighting for freedom” is an oxymoron and the greatest lie ever sold. If this is the greatest country in the world, why do we need to invade other countries to attain freedom? Wars are started over control of money, oil, gold, and opium poppy fields. Period.

No one is hurting or disrespecting anyone by not standing at attention or saluting this BS.

Back