Chris Rock's take on Blacks in baseball: Real Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one.....oh yeah....about standing in line to buy some overpriced sneakers.....

You mean these $179 joints right chea?

2110-013_1-Z.jpg

I umpire baseball here in TN from 10U to college and I can definitely see where he is coming from. The amount of black people playing baseball has went down...While baseball the game hasnt changed the society has and football/ basketball has changed with it while baseball hasnt..

Trying to get my 13 y/o 6 ft 200 lb son to at least try baseball. His words to me. Black people don't play baseball.

Oh yeah. Me and my 6 y/o went to a clemson baseball game. We're the only 2 black people in the stadium.

Last edited:
Why HBCU baseball history matters
APRIL 25, 2015 ~ ROGERCADOR

a4d3e0ac3dc1c41e7c108c4fac9ed4c8
rogercador:

‘“It’s a story that’s extremely important for the making of the history of American baseball,” Cador says.”

Great post and yes HBCU baseball history matters!

Roger Cador has been coaching baseball at Southern University in Baton Rouge, and in that time, he’s seen the importance of America’s pastime at HBCUs like SU gradually decline despite a rich history that stretches back a century or more.

And as the drop-off in interest has taken place, so has the desire among researchers and the public to document and preserve that history. That, Cador says, is unfortunate.

“It’s a story that’s extremely important for the making of the history of American baseball,” Cador says.

https://rogercador.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/why-hbcu-baseball-history-matters/

Frank Thomas responds to Chris Rock's baseball rant

He believes Major League Baseball has a responsibility to get young African-American players back into the game.

“Major League Baseball has got to take initiative and put academies in the inner cities across America,” Thomas said. “(They) do it in the Dominican Republic, (they) do it in Venezuela and as soon as Cuba is open, they’re going to do it in Cuba because those kids play baseball 24/7.

"If they get something in the inner cities, provide cleats, baseballs, and bats, the black kids will play.

Tribune News

I occasionally go to the Washington Nats and Baltimore Orioles games. I think it's just not that exciting anymore. I see a good number of us in the stands at the Nats games. Not so much at the O's games. I tried to get my son to play, but he has no interest. I loved playing baseball from little league through High School. I think football and Basketball seem more glamorous to the kids these days. The thing they don't realize though is that baseball players make a lot of money compared to football.

It's really not that expensive. If parents can buy Jordan's and the latest fashions, surely they can buy cleats, a glove and bat. I bought all those things myself by working during the summer.

I umpire baseball here in TN from 10U to college and I can definitely see where he is coming from. The amount of black people playing baseball has went down...While baseball the game hasnt changed the society has and football/ basketball has changed with it while baseball hasnt..

That is baseball's biggest problem. Too many unwritten rules and old useless traditions. Not enough excitement and they look down on you if you actually appear to be having fun while playing the game.

It's really not that expensive. If parents can buy Jordan's and the latest fashions, surely they can buy cleats, a glove and bat. I bought all those things myself by working during the summer.

shittin me it aint high..... travel baseball is VERY expensive.... I had to pay $500 off top just to be on the team... $350 for a bat.... I haven't even included hotel cost/tournament fee/etc. for tournaments EVERY weekend. IF your child is good... its going to cost. Another thing... hitting instructor is $50 a hour.... thats once a week. Baseball can get VERY expensive... Basketball is the cheapest sport.... and even that can get expensive with one of one trainings.

Here in Clinton, MS at the local (public) high school it cost each player over $1000 to play on the team. It was $850 to play on the junior high team. And unless your child played on one of those select tournament teams it is hard to even get a shot at the high school. You have to sacrifice more financially to play baseball...the way it is currently set up.

Here in Clinton, MS at the local (public) high school it cost each player over $1000 to play on the team. It was $850 to play on the junior high team. And unless your child played on one of those select tournament teams it is hard to even get a shot at the high school. You have to sacrifice more financially to play baseball...the way it is currently set up.

So basically the school is putting off some of the costs of competing onto the parents and boosters, correct?

My personal belief is..... this is the school's way of making sure those without the financial backing won't be playing baseball....

The issue in 2015 is you have to start your kids in baseball when they are 4-5 years old. Let them develop the skill set at an early age. Baseball is a very hard skill set to teach. They develop the skill set at an early age. most will continue to play. Most black parents push their kids to football and basketball at ages 5-6 years old. Putting your kid into baseball at the age of 10 wont go so well because he already behind. I witness this everyday in the Maryland area.

Reactions: J C
The "encouragement" to be active in the hs booster club along w/ the annual fee to participate is unheard of? No sir. It's been here for well over 17-18 years now. The HS gives athl schols to seniors males/females who have been accepted @ a JUCO/comm coll/d-1/2/3 univ. It varies from year to year: 2300$ as high as ~3100$ recently.

Baseball in general is not popular with young people regardless of race. The average age of viewers is 53. World Series game TV ratings not only is in decline, but lose out to other programming up against it.

Game 7 of the World Series would get smoked in the ratings by any one of these popular network or cable shows right now.As far as blacks is concerned, back in the day the majority of the great black ballplayers were from the south.

Now the south is a football hub. And with black migration to the south over the past few decades, most of those kids are playing football, not baseball.The money in football and basketball for the athletes, schools communities, and everyone else has made those sports more attractive than baseball.

Fans and alums don't lament that schools are failing to recruit good baseball players. Nawl.

Most lament their schools failing to land the great young basketball or football players. Why? They lose out on all the potential money making opportunities and residuals that go along with those kids suiting up for State U.

With that being the case, kids are going to play football or basketball instead of baseball more often than not on whole.

The kids who end up playing baseball in college and beyond are those cats whose fathers played baseball or they grew up in cities or communities where baseball is significant part of that area.

Back