Childhood friends in the Final Four

northern tiger

Browns' town

Illinois' Dee and MSU's Shannon are doing Maywood proud

Nobody ever got shot in the gym.

So during summer months when adolescent boys had been known to find trouble on the streets of Maywood, Sgt. Chris Brown pulled some strings to get the keys to the Proviso East High School gym and turn it into a playroom for his son Shannon and friends such as Dee Brown.

Talent galore filled it regularly. The roster also included Charles Richardson Jr., a reserve at Nebraska who was the point guard when the two Browns played at Proviso East. Former Manley standout Luther Head, suddenly an Illini legend, occasionally showed up. As did ex-Chicago high school stars Will Bynum, a standout at Georgia Tech, and Tony Allen, a current member of the Boston Celtics, among others.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0503290295mar29,1,6130202.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Nice story. <b>That</b> is what a lot of kids should be doing during their summer months (self-enhancement/growth). It's SO productive. :tup:

I used to open up a local high school gym for kids as well as high school grads but due to the "knuckleheads" rolling in, the supt of the district not only took my key but others keys as well. :( Guys broke in an office and STOLE some basketballs/jerseys for whatever reason w/out my knowledge (offices in the back of the gym). All it takes is.... one. :|

Panthro said:
Nice story. <b>That</b> is what a lot of kids should be doing during their summer months (self-enhancement/growth). It's SO productive. :tup:

I used to open up a local high school gym for kids as well as high school grads but due to the "knuckleheads" rolling in, the supt of the district not only took my key but others keys as well. :( Guys broke in an office and STOLE some basketballs/jerseys for whatever reason w/out my knowledge (offices in the back of the gym). All it takes is.... one. :|

I'm sorry to here it. I just don't know what's wrong with these kids.

Back