Charlie Coe a foe of playing SWAC 9 league games

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
"If we all have to do it, it's fair," Alabama A&M coach Anthony Jones said Friday during the annual SWAC Football Media Day. "It puts more emphasis on every ballgame for everyone.

"It's going to make for some interesting results toward the end."

But Alabama State coach Charles Coe disagreed with the move. He led the Hornets to last year's SWAC title.

"I'm going to support the decision, but if I had to vote for it, I'd vote against it," Coe said. "If we're going to play all nine games, there's no need to play a championship game.

Huntsville Times

Coe said the SWAC provides 90 rings, but ASU had to come up with enough money to purchase 50 more and hasn't been able to do that.

"We're still waiting on our rings," Coe said. "It's disheartening. It's a morale problem with my players. HBCUs (Historically black colleges/universities) don't have money. It's going to cost us $23,000, so we're out there trying to raise the money to buy them."

This is not a good thing

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mach,

Coe is 100% right. Can someone say bring back the Heritage Bowl? It would make more sense now than ever to start talking seriously to the MEAC again. At some point the simple economic reality of going to the 1AA play-offs and losing money vs a 1AA Black National Championship game will have to set in. FAMU use to be the biggest opponent over there, but they have enough problems of their own. Hampton, and maybe Bethune would be the key to get the ball rolling. Why the MEAC can't see that the 1AA playoff under the current Ncaa set-up is basically a rip-off, I'll never understand. Even if you win, you more than likely lose money.

JROCK,

Next they'll probably be blaming the ring thing on TRah too. If only he hadn't ... well you know (lol),.... BAMA state wouldn't be in the hole for 23k.

Seriously though, aren't you a little concerned that Southern comes up a little short on both the 1st and 2nd pre-season All-SWAC teams? Y'all done let the Bama's in, Please don't say, its just Hate. The big 3 used to be so beautiful. We'll have to admit, things have changed in the SWAC but don't worry, Grambling will set things straight and save the WEST this year.

THAMES said:
JROCK,

Next they'll probably be blaming the ring thing on TRah too. If only he hadn't ... well you know (lol),.... BAMA state wouldn't be in the hole for 23k.

Seriously though, aren't you a little concerned that Southern comes up a little short on both the 1st and 2nd pre-season All-SWAC teams? Y'all done let the Bama's in, Please don't say, its just Hate. The big 3 used to be so beautiful. We'll have to admit, things have changed in the SWAC but don't worry, Grambling will set things straight and save the WEST this year.
you thank that GSU will win the West!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are short on rings but has the SWAC's biggets budget..my question to them who else is trying to get a ring that deserves it?

equipment staff (not large at a HBCU) 2 to 5
trainer - 2 to 5
SID Office (always slighted but say they reward them) - 2 to 3

that's 15 more rings at the most.....

the band fan said:
they are short on rings but has the SWAC's biggets budget..my question to them who else is trying to get a ring that deserves it?

equipment staff (not large at a HBCU) 2 to 5
trainer - 2 to 5
SID Office (always slighted but say they reward them) - 2 to 3

that's 15 more rings at the most.....

Maybe the Cole Brothers for bringing in the players. :smash:

I guess everyone is trying to get one while they can, they don't want to have to wait another 20+ years.

JROCK said:
Coe said the SWAC provides 90 rings, but ASU had to come up with enough money to purchase 50 more and hasn't been able to do that.

"We're still waiting on our rings," Coe said. "It's disheartening. It's a morale problem with my players. HBCUs (Historically black colleges/universities) don't have money. It's going to cost us $23,000, so we're out there trying to raise the money to buy them."

This is not a good thing

I don't understand why Coe is having a problem, unless there is something he is not telling us. Bama South folks I know would donate $23,000 in one day. I just don't understand this comment. Maybe he has been told to not talk to Joe Reed. :hat:

THAMES said:
JROCK,

lol........You know how Dean Pete is. He is going to kill everybody (including Bama State) just because of general principle this year. :lol:

And don't forget, The SUperior One one the first SCG trophy and brought it to Louisiana to begin with. That dam_ trophy must have got the 7 year itch. :lol: It will return on the bluff this year.

MikeBigg said:
Maybe the Cole Brothers for bringing in the players. :smash:

Lewis said:
I guess everyone is trying to get one while they can, they don't want to have to wait another 20+ years.

MightyDog said:
I don't understand why Coe is having a problem, unless there is something he is not telling us. Bama South folks I know would donate $23,000 in one day. I just don't understand this comment. Maybe he has been told to not talk to Joe Reed. :hat:

:lmao:

THAMES said:
Mach,

Coe is 100% right. Can someone say bring back the Heritage Bowl? It would make more sense now than ever to start talking seriously to the MEAC again.

I've never said anything about the Heritage Bowl before but I actually agree with you. There is already going to be one SWAC-MEAC challenge matchup every season now. Why not add another one to the end of the season. The winner of the SWAC takes on the winner (not the second place team) of the MEAC and it can be the end of the season SWAC-MEAC challenge. You can even call it a Championship game if you want to determine which conference was better that season.

The SWAC Championship game is basically useless with the 9 game mandate. Why not talk to the MEAC and try to get the Heritage Bowl going again since we already have an agreement with them and ESPN for the SWAC-MEAC challenge during the season. One more game can't hurt.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:

I was wondering the same thing ?

Back