CFL team pursuing Ricky Williams

GramFan

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Ricky Williams has to sit out the 2006 NFL season for failing a fourth drug test, but a Canadian Football League franchise is making a pitch for the suspended tailback.

The Toronto Argonauts placed Williams on their 35-player negotiations list, which means that they own exclusive rights to contact him. Argonauts assistant GM Greg Mohns spoke to Williams' agent Leigh Steinberg on Thursday.

"I haven't had a chance to talk to Ricky about it, but any consideration given to that opportunity would be done in consultation with the Dolphins because (coach) Nick Saban's perspective and their permission is imperative," Steinberg said.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9401443

it wouldn't be too smart. I've heard that the facilities in the CFL are nowhere near close to the NFL in terms of playing surface, and if he goes up there and gets hurt, he really would be up the creek.

Is the money up there close to the money made in the NFL?I ask that because even after he serves his suspension,no NFL team may not touch him.His only alternative may be the CFL.

Ricky was making the league minimum last year anyway, so it's not like he's really risking that much.

I think that might be a bad idea if he wants to play again in NFL. With there facilities it posible he could get seriously hurt. For as money, it is several players over there getting pretty good salary. And look at it this way he can get as high as he wants.:hat:

Disaster in the making.:lol:

WEED is pratically LEGAL in Canada.
This negro gonna "BURN HIMSELF OUT".:bump:

staggalee83 said:
Disaster in the making.:lol:

WEED is pratically LEGAL in Canada.
This negro gonna "BURN HIMSELF OUT".:bump:

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing...

They do not drug test in the CFL either.

:lmao:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would say so.
He is still rich, so that 80 grand won't be a problem for a year.

He'll will look at this as "staying in playing shape" for his return to the NFL next year.

You know somebody gonna pick him up.

Suspended Williams Could Face Drug Tests in CFL
Running Back Needs to Be 'Absolutely Clean' if He Plays for Argos

TORONTO (May 9) - Ricky Williams may have to take a drug test if the running back wants to play for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.

The NFL suspended Williams for a year last month for his fourth violation of the league's substance abuse policy. Since the suspension, Williams' agent Leigh Steinberg has indicated that the 1998 Heisman winner is seriously interested in playing in the CFL.

The CFL has no formal drug testing policy, but Toronto president Keith Pelley said the team could conduct its own tests if the Miami Dolphins allow Williams to play for the Argonauts.

"It's something that we've talked about internally. ... Certainly, it would be an area that we would at least discuss," Pelley said during a conference call.

http://articles.news.aol.com/special4/article.adp?id=20060509165709990019

Back