Celebration Bowl Payout Scheme

You do realize that NC A&T, SC State, FAMU, Savannah State, and Fort Valley State are in "The Field" with the SWAC right? All MEAC Schools are not the same. Without FAMU, SC State, or NC A&T, there is no MEAC.

You don't understand....playing a TN State or a FAMU would maximize interest to Alcorn Football. Gipson won't be here forever so why not ride the WAVE as much as you can.

I wonder what are your thoughts on TN State. Sad.

And yet....Alcorn is on a four game losing streak to Howard.

The original members of the meac are Delaware State, Howard, Morgan State, NCA&T and SCST. FAMMU wasn't accepted until 1979

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
SC State has won 16 Conference Championships. So allow me to say this.

In no way, is my intent to be negative about this bowl game. I just believe there has gotta be a way to send one team to the playoffs and one team to the bowl game. The money seems to be nice for the winning team, but we must maintain a standard of excellence. Whether we lose in the playoffs or not, we cannot just simply give up all together. I support this game, but I support ending this losing streak as well. So, I ask that all you SWAC fans just be respectful of that. We can agree to disagree, thats fine. But lets continue to remember that we are all in this together. It would be nice if the Swac supported the Meac instead of knocking the Meac down for at least trying to compete with these tough teams. And for the record, The MEAC is not the bottom feeder for FCS sports.

Are you on the MEAC page? Why are all the hostilities directed at the SWAC? The SWAC was and is good with the SCG. This game only adds to what we are doing, not taking anything away. If the MEAC was putting two and three teams with at-large bids in the Playoffs consistently, no one from the MEAC would be whining like little spoiled brats because their leadership sought an additional revenue stream to help support their athletic budgets. Standard of Excellence - Six wins since 1978 (can't count FAMU's two when they were in the SAIC) and zero (0) in the past 15 years. Name one person from any MEAC school currently who has tasted success in the playoffs. The average Freshman was three years old and a senior was Five when the MEAC last won a playoff game. What MEAC Coach can sit in the home of any parent and talk about success in the FCS Playoffs?

You can move on with that talk about the SWAC putting the MEAC down; read that BS that is on the MEAC Board. Justify that line of thinking.

Are you on the MEAC page? Why are all the hostilities directed at the SWAC? The SWAC was and is good with the SCG. This game only adds to what we are doing, not taking anything away. If the MEAC was putting two and three teams with at-large bids in the Playoffs consistently, no one from the MEAC would be whining like little spoiled brats because their leadership sought an additional revenue stream to help support their athletic budgets. Standard of Excellence - Six wins since 1978 (can't count FAMU's two when they were in the SAIC) and zero (0) in the past 15 years. Name one person from any MEAC school currently who has tasted success in the playoffs. The average Freshman was three years old and a senior was Five when the MEAC last won a playoff game. What MEAC Coach can sit in the home of any parent and talk about success in the FCS Playoffs?

You can move on with that talk about the SWAC putting the MEAC down; read that BS that is on the MEAC Board. Justify that line of thinking.

They are not going to ever acknowledge that just as they never answer any direct questions about their solution to what they want.

They just love to whine and play victim accusing anybody from SU , the SWAC, their AD, to me for being responsible for them having to pull out playoffs.

You would think at some point grown men would behave like grown men, adapt and let it go.

I am a supporter of all HBCU athletics. Though I attend a Meac school, I have always supported the SWAC, CIAA, and Siac as much as I could. My only concern with this game is losing the automotic qualifier to the playoffs. The Meac doesnt have the big classic games at the end of the season.The Meac doesnt have a championship game. It has become tradition for the Meac to send a team to the playoffs. Even though the Meac currently has a losing streak to the playoffs, our players and students thrive on the level of competition.

In no way, is my intent to be negative about this bowl game. I just believe there has gotta be a way to send one team to the playoffs and one team to the bowl game. The money seems to be nice for the winning team, but we must maintain a standard of excellence. Whether we lose in the playoffs or not, we cannot just simply give up all together. I support this game, but I support ending this losing streak as well. So, I ask that all you SWAC fans just be respectful of that. We can agree to disagree, thats fine. But lets continue to remember that we are all in this together. It would be nice if the Swac supported the Meac instead of knocking the Meac down for at least trying to compete with these tough teams. And for the record, The MEAC is not the bottom feeder for FCS sports.

You do have a chance for one team to go to the bowl game and for one team to go to the playoffs. Only the champ is committed to going to the playoffs.
Also, you can compete with these "tough teams' in the regular season. The MEAC had 33 out of conference games but for some reason you all are concerned with ONE playoff game. If you win those 33 out of conference games, you will get two, maybe three teams in the playoffs.

BTW, I didn't see this "competitive advantage" against Grambling and JSU last year.

But people attended those games revenue was generated. You are thinking like these MEAC folks to play games that wont be a financial benefit to us. Why do I even bother you don't give a dime to the university anyway.

Well as a student at SC State University, I certainly look forward to my HBCU beating UAPB in the Meac/Swac Challenge, as well as any games in the future. If this game is what our leaders want then so be it. I support HBCU's no matter what. But I just gotta ask, How many more blowouts on National television does the Swac want? LOL
In no way is the Meac looking for approval to be accepted by "the PWI's". We have made greater efforts in our OOC performances. Though we continue to struggle in the playoffs, last year was a perfect example of the Meac getting stronger. We had 5 teams tie for first place. In the past, its usually just one or 2 decent teams. Im certain the Meac is headed in the right direction.
I see some Swac fans being so judgemental on the success of the Meac conference as if we are complete losers. But, I'll leave that alone.

But in all seriousness, I'm not on this thread to argue. Just enjoy the conversation. So, Great day Folks. And remember, SCSU will be waiting for yall at the door (classic). LOLOL

Well as a student at SC State University, I certainly look forward to my HBCU beating UAPB in the Meac/Swac Challenge, as well as any games in the future. If this game is what our leaders want then so be it. I support HBCU's no matter what. But I just gotta ask, How many more blowouts on National television does the Swac want? LOL
In no way is the Meac looking for approval to be accepted by "the PWI's". We have made greater efforts in our OOC performances. Though we continue to struggle in the playoffs, last year was a perfect example of the Meac getting stronger. We had 5 teams tie for first place. In the past, its usually just one or 2 decent teams. Im certain the Meac is headed in the right direction.
I see some Swac fans being so judgemental on the success of the Meac conference as if we are complete losers. But, I'll leave that alone.

But in all seriousness, I'm not on this thread to argue. Just enjoy the conversation. So, Great day Folks. And remember, SCSU will be waiting for yall at the door (classic). LOLOL

Translation: I just want to be able to say anything I like and not have it question, where I would have to defend my position.

Clearly the playoff committee didn't see it that way. While even some others here agreed with your view point, Right after I saw the final standing, I stated that having a five way tie wasn't a good look and that I was confident that the meac would not get an at-large bid

Last edited:
The participating teams of the Celebration Bowl will receive 200k dollars in ticket to sell and ESPN won't cover the travel expense of the teams. The conference will receive 800k to split between the conference office and conference membership. The participating teams will walk alway with crumbles after paying for the team band cheerleader and presidential and athletic cabinet lounging meals and buses

Nobody in their right mind would be this stupid and accept this kind of deal.

In no way, is my intent to be negative about this bowl game. I just believe there has gotta be a way to send one team to the playoffs and one team to the bowl game. The money seems to be nice for the winning team, but we must maintain a standard of excellence. Whether we lose in the playoffs or not, we cannot just simply give up all together.
The MEAC should have had more than just the "token" automatic qualifier in the FCS playoffs last year. How are y'all not pissed at that?

2014 MEAC Co-Champs
Morgan St. 7-5 No OOC victories, period. (1st round of FCS playoffs)
NCA&T 9-3 Defeated Elon and lost by 1-point to FCS runners-up Coastal Carolina (No at-large bid)
BCU 9-3 Defeated FBS Florida International lost to FBS Florida Atlantic (No at-large bid)
SCSU 8-4 Defeated Furman and lost 30-3 to Coastal Carolina and lost at Clemson (No at-large bid)
NCCU 7-5 No impressive OOC victories

Y'all sent your worst champion to the playoffs when you had at least 2 teams that should have gotten serious consideration as an at-large. Meanwhile, a 7-5 Indiana State (non-Missouri Valley Conference champs) gets an at-large bid even though SDSU (8-4), NDSU (11-1), Illinois St (11-1), and UNI (8-4) all of the same conference went to the FCS playoffs too. Does that seem right to you? A 10-team conference sends 1/2 of their conference members to the playoffs. What that tells me is the FCS playoff selection committee doesn't think highly of the MEAC and is willing to outright snub other deserving teams. The funny thing is how everyone in their conference above .500 got into the playoffs, except one team. LOL, I guess Morgan St. "stole" their spot.

As another poster has already pointed out, the Celebration Bowl doesn't dash the MEAC's playoff hopes. If y'all are worried about not having an automatic qualifier (welfare token) then you're worried about the wrong thing. If anything y'all should be striving and pleading your cases to the FCS selection committee to receive at-large bids.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
iXGONJo.jpg
lol

For some odd reason, such as this upcoming year, PB is not that good but SC State is either average or above, so expect SC State to win. That's not comparing like with like.
Last year, AAMU wasn't that good but the MEAC school was average to above average. Again, that's not comparing like with like.
Year before that, Valley was at the bottom of the SWAC and they lost to a MEAC school in the challenge game. That's not comparing like with like.
It seems that most years, the MEAC's representative is usually average to above average, whereas the SWAC representative is usually a sub .500 team at year's end. That's not comparing like with like.

This Celebration Bowl, more than the SWAC/MEAC challenge game, will compare like with like.

I am a supporter of all HBCU athletics. Though I attend a Meac school, I have always supported the SWAC, CIAA, and Siac as much as I could. My only concern with this game is losing the automotic qualifier to the playoffs. The Meac doesnt have the big classic games at the end of the season.The Meac doesnt have a championship game. It has become tradition for the Meac to send a team to the playoffs. Even though the Meac currently has a losing streak to the playoffs, our players and students thrive on the level of competition.

Hmm.......must have missed all of the MEAC fans labeling the SWAC as a bottom feeder and claiming we are dragging them down because we don't participate in the playoffs. Or the MEAC fans that sided with the PWI FCS fans in degrading the entire SWAC conference because we didn't participate in the playoffs. Where was the support from the MEAC fans when the SWAC pulled out of the playoffs years ago?

Hmm.......must have missed all of the MEAC fans labeling the SWAC as a bottom feeder and claiming we are dragging them down because we don't participate in the playoffs. Or the MEAC fans that sided with the PWI FCS fans in degrading the entire SWAC conference because we didn't participate in the playoffs. Where was the support from the MEAC fans when the SWAC pulled out of the playoffs years ago?

I am one of those Meac fans that supports the Swac. The Swac produces many great football players. I can't remember the last time the Swac sent a team to the playoffs, so I'm not even around for that debate lol.

NY Urban League Cancels 2015 Football Classic
The New York Urban League has informed officials at Morgan State University that the scheduled New York Urban League Classic between the Bears and Howard University Bison has been canceled.
The game, originally scheduled and marketed by the schools for Sept. 26 at Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ., will not be played this year. Officials from the New York Urban League told the schools that they hope a 2016 edition will be played, in a letter dated April 4 and distributed to Morgan State alumni earlier

Thank god they weren't marketing the Celebration Bowl.

But let some folks tell it, it's a piece of cake.

http://hbcudigest.com/post/117299656036/urban-league-classic-canceled

The NYUL Classic has been going down hill since Grambling pulled out, a Classic north of the Mason-Dixon Line can't survive without a SWAC member, FAMU, SCSU and maybe Tuskegee/Morehouse Grambling was 0-forever and sold almost 30k tickets vs Alcorn in the CCC.

Somebody said someone in the SWAC paid ESPN off

24e9ufl.gif

That is funny as L. However, it just goes to show you some of the Looney Tunes that are posting over======> there.

(By the way I heard the SWAC have lobbyist on Capital Hill that hammered congress to twist ESPN arm and make them support this game. The SWAC Office is also conspiring to make the MEAC out of the SWAC East and will later make the former MEAC schools pledge allegiance to the SWAC as well as drop basketball to show their subservience.)
laughing_smiley.gif

Last edited:
Back