Casey Therriault Biopic Won’t Be A Black Savior Narrative

SAME OLD G

A product of Greatness
Staff member
Sony Pictures recently announced it was developing a feature biopic on the life of former Jackson State quarterback Casey Therriault.

“The White Tiger” will delve into Therriault’s past, which includes a 2008 bar fight that landed him in prison for six months on a manslaughter conviction after the death of Jonathon Krystiniak.

After his stint in jail, Jackson State took a chance on Therriault in 2010 and he proceeded to become one of the most prolific quarterbacks in school history. He broke several single-season passing records. He was SWAC Newcomer of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year.

What a remarkable redemption story. The white quarterback from Michigan had done all of this at an historically black college in Mississippi of all places.

The national press ate it up.

But Therriault’s story, unlike black athletes who end up befallen only to receive a second chance, was framed differently.

Therriault was a hero. He was everything that embodied the ideal of the second chance

You would be hard pressed to find anyone at that time, or now, who viewed Therriault through the same prism of criminality as a black athlete coming from a similar place.

Read the rest: http://hbcusports.com/2015/06/30/casey-therriault-biopic-wont-be-a-black-savior-narrative/

wasn't that the name of Grambling's story?
Yea cause when I told my dad they where about to make a movie called white tiger my dad was like they already did. And I was like this one is about Casey. So yea I was wondering why would they name this one white tiger as well.. At least could have been the blue eyed tiger.

For Grambling, the official movie title is "Grambling's White Tiger".
At least Grambling got some fame for the movie. Seem like they barely want to mention J-State. But it's cool as long as Casey in his big break remembers JSU, that's all that matters.

"Can anyone name one instance in sports media where a black person or black group was given credit for repairing the life of a befallen white athlete?"

They can't. Sad thing is, some black folk are so in awe of their inner whiteness that they'll die before they admit the truth.

Are they going to show the end of his career where he came close to the story book tale ending, but miss it by a foot?

Naw blue they will show the game where one teams band and fans started chanting "go home" with 9 seconds left and they lost!

While he was just a freshman at that lol. They should also talk about how he beat that same team in their stadium every time he went too. I think that'll add to the story line.

They will alter some truths to his story for a better story line like they did in Friday Night Lights and The Blind Side movies.

While he was just a freshman at that lol. They should also talk about how he beat that same team in their stadium every time he went too. I think that'll add to the story line.

Casey was never a Freshman at JSU. He was a transfer from CC in Michigan. So he was seasoned.

Naw blue they will show the game where one teams band and fans started chanting "go home" with 9 seconds left and they lost!
You just made me mad bringing that game up. That was going to be the only bright spot in the worst season ever for us. lol

Last edited:
Congrats to Casey. Seems like he was a good QB. I can't remember another QB that threw 6 picks in one game though

Back