Can't Win by 50+ in Connecticut

DaGSUMan

Real GSU Man
From today's Boston Globe:

Connecticut group flags high school routs

HARTFORD, Conn. --Any Connecticut high school football coach who runs up the score in a game now runs the risk of being suspended.

The football committee of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, the state board that governs high school sports, has adopted a "score management" policy to keep teams from winning by more than 50 points.

The rout is considered an unsportsmanlike infraction and, beginning this fall, the head coach of the offending team will be disqualified from coaching the next game, said Tony Mosa, assistant executive director of the Cheshire-based CIAC.

"We were concerned with any coach running up the game. There's no need for it," Mosa said Wednesday. "This is something that we really have been discussing for the last couple of years. There were a number of games that were played where the difference of scores were 60 points or more. It's not focused on any one particular person."

Still, some around the state have dubbed it the "Jack Cochran rule," after the New London coach of the same name.

During halftime of New London's 60-0 rout of Tourtelotte/Ellis Tech last season, opposing coach Tim Panteleakos was arrested on breach of peace charges. With his team sitting on a huge lead, Cochran called a timeout just before the half, and that apparently riled Panteleakos.

He allegedly hit a New London security officer and tried to hit a New London assistant coach.

Cochran's teams logged four wins of more than 50 points last year.

"It's basically the Jack (Cochran) rule," Hyde Leadership-New Haven football coach John Acquavita told the New Haven Register. "For one guy, you're putting the stress on the entire state. It's the most asinine, insane thing I've ever heard of in my life."

Leo Facchini, New London's athletic director, called it unfair to single out his coach or the sport of football.

"He's not the only person that's had big scores. Score management is not only an issue in football. It's an issue in sports across the board," Facchini said. "There needs to be some remedy."

Facchini said he and Cochran tried to pull in the reins during New London's 90-0 drubbing of Griswold last season by trying to get both sides and the timekeeper to agree to run a continuous clock.

"We were told no. As the second half started, I radioed up to the timekeeper three times to run the clock," Facchini said. "Trying to defend a 90-to-nothing game is going to make me look like an idiot. We did try to remedy it."

The CIAC's Mosa said the football committee unanimously approved the policy last month after "considerable discussion and debate."

The state already has a 15-run mercy rule in softball. If a team is ahead by at least that much, the game is stopped after five innings.

For football, the committee looked at various options on the issue, including using the continuous clock used by other states. In Iowa, for example, if a team is ahead by 35 points in the second half, the game clock runs continuously until the game is over.

Facchini favors running out the clock in routs, and said he plans to use it if necesssary at New London home games this fall.

"We're going to run the clock if we feel the score's out of hand," Facchini said.

But Mosa said committee members believed the clock rule would be unfair to junior varsity players who likely would be on the field during lopsided games.

"They should be able to participate (rather) than to simply run out the clock," Mosa said.

Football committee chairman Leroy Williams agreed.

"It was felt that the J-V parents pay to come to the game and that should not be taken away from them," Williams said.

Williams, now a middle school principal in New Haven, formerly coached high school in the city and remembers well the beatings his teams were handed. He recalls being down by 54 points in one game and having the opposing team line up for an onside kick after scoring.

"Try to explain that to kids," Williams said. "When you get someone down, you don't have to kick them. The key thing to remember is, it's about the quality of the game. It's about teaching kids right from wrong. It's about the game of life and that's how we had to look about it."

Nah. Won't happen in the SWAC. Too much apathy. :) These are GROWN men/women, so..... let'er rip!!!! Payback is a biatch. :hat:

Bama St 92
PVAMU 0

GSU 87 (?)
PVAMU 7

send help! :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Why don't we just say after the first team scores, the other team keep's the ball until they catch up.

IT's SPORT's PEOPLE................people are going to PC it out of existance.
Somebody gotta win, somebody gotta lose.

I swear.....................people whine long enough and the "power that be" will hand out welfare to underacheivers.:xeye:

Yo arse can't hang, don't put powerhouses on your schedule.............or drop to a lower classification that you can handle.

How you gonna tell some kid to "lay down" at the first contact because the other team can't tackle or cover..................and that's just what this is.

S. Panola scores 30, 40, sometimes 50 point's and NEVER put the ball in the air ONCE.
WHAT SHOULD THEIR COACH TELL THEM TO DO..................Take the pitch and run out of bounds so I won't get suspended?:xeye:

There are things that can be done. There is no need of continuing to run up the score on most levels of sports, high school included. If the game is out of hand with plenty of time left and it is apparent that no comeback is possible, run the clock. The opposing coach should do things to keep the clock moving also.

I have a 7th grade girls AAU team and sometimes we play 9th graders. When that butt-kicking comes our way and we get down by 20 points early, I tell the score keeper to run the clock.

I referee football game here in North Louisiana and when we have a powerhouse up bu 20 points or more we run the clock. I have complete a varsity football game in 1 hour before and the score was like 40-0. We ran that clock form 4 minutes remaining in the 1st quater.

Da_Sperm said:
There are things that can be done. There is no need of continuing to run up the score on most levels of sports, high school included. If the game is out of hand with plenty of time left and it is apparent that no comeback is possible, run the clock. The opposing coach should do things to keep the clock moving also.

I have a 7th grade girls AAU team and sometimes we play 9th graders. When that butt-kicking comes our way and we get down by 20 points early, I tell the score keeper to run the clock.

I referee basketball, and during Jr. High ball I will let the coaches know that I have instructed the table to run the clock if it becomes apparent that the losing team is not putting up a fight.

However at the same time how do you tell the 3rd and 4th string that they can't give it there all. The opposing team has a responsibility to stop them from scoring. Now if the coach is lining up for an onside kick and they are up by 25-30 points then yes the coach needs to be reprimanded. That is not teach good sportsmanship. Now if that team keeps scoring and the only thing that they are doing is just running the rock with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players then oh well.

I know games I've refereed have been out of hand to the point that there was no hope. You can't ask a team to just NOT score with their 4th stringers. You have games where no matter what you do (run the clock, leading team only runs the ball) one team can't help but score.

Though I don't agree with teams running up the score, but if the starters are not in, and the backups are playing, then so be it.

I think it's a dumb rule to suspend a coach just because his team is up by more than 50. What is he supposed to do, instruct his team to let the other team score, so the score looks more competitve? Or does he tell his team to take a knee everytime they have the ball, and just give the other team the ball back? What happens if you're up by 50, and the other team turns the ball over? Do you tell your defender to just fall down, and not try to return the interception, or fumble for a score.

What's silly though, they'd rather suspend a coach for winning by more than 50, but won't run the clock so that JV players could get in the game, and play??? If that's not stupid, then I don't know what is.

Again, I don't agree with running up the score, but if the reserves are playing, and they're still scoring, then why not make the other team forfeit, instead of suspending a coach for kicking the other team to sleep?

NICE

D-NICE said:
Though I don't agree with teams running up the score, but if the starters are not in, and the backups are playing, then so be it.

I agree.

Panthro said:
Nah. Won't happen in the SWAC. Too much apathy. :) These are GROWN men/women, so..... let'er rip!!!! Payback is a biatch. :hat:

Bama St 92
PVAMU 0

GSU 87 (?)
PVAMU 7

send help! :rolleyes:

I think that the second score should read:

GSU 87
Morgan State 12.

I forget the year. Anyway, I understand your point.

Panthro said:
Bama St 92
PVAMU 0

Panthro,

The score was 72-0 at halftime. Give us some credit for calling off the dogs. :emlaugh:

But on a serious tip, I wouldn't be shocked if yall got payback on the Hornets this year at Prairie View. You guys played us real tough last year in Montgomery (13-13 score at halftime), when we still had TJ, Keldrick and Randolph. I don't know what yall got coming back, but I was quite impressed with what I saw from Prairie View last year. :tup:

Back