Cable Modems

Crazier Jag

LUNATIC
Hey, what's the lowdown on cable modems??? I've been thinking about getting one.

I'm trying to find out the good stuff: price, hardware needed, capability, how it works.

confused.gif

If you can

you might want to look into getting dsl instead....

With cable mobem's your speeds are up and down depending on who's on line...

with dsl... it have consent speeds...

they are both about the same price 39.95 to 49.95 a month... and I know that both offer statis ip's

if you have certain questions I can try and help you.

I have dsl and I love it

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: If you can

I was looking into that. My company offered a plan for DSL for about $30/month.

You need to fill me in a little on DSL, like the installation. I'm trying to get a little speed in my life.

smiley_on_tredmil.gif

i have mine thru cox cable... I love it! No tying up the phone line to be on the net. Fast as hell. 56K is for old ladies and suckers.

CJ,

I have a cable modem and am pretty happy with it. One thing to keep in mind is that cable modem service does not require a annual commitment. I think a commitment for 1 year is required with DSL.

I have a cable modem from Cox @home. I love it. 39.00 a month is the cost. I'll never go back to dial up. DSL is better, but it is still available in limited suppy. Many neigbhorhoods aren't able to get DSL yet. Any many markets, you have to live close to the phone company's 'switching station'.

cable modem is even better if you live in a black neighborhood....you never have to worry about half of your neighbors getting a modem to slow your speed down. It's lovely where I live.

They just started the cable broadband service in my neighborhood and I'm debating about getting it. DSL is not a option, live too far from a central office. Got to drop that MSN, I think I have a payoff though......took their money for that new computer last year....

I guess I am not the only one who thinks like that

I stay around alot of old white folks who barely can turn on a microwave.. My cable stays fast on the downloads... I think TimeWarner needs to look at my upload speed though... I have friends in more trendier areas of town and their cable is barely faster than 56k...

I have cable.........it comes as a package with the tv cable since it's the same company........I usually download around 25-30 kps or whatever.

I love my DSL... I it is almost 50x fast then my dial-up... But I live like 600 feet from my central office.

It all does depend on your distance and neigborhood.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I did tech support for Road Runner and another cable modem ISP for about a year. And it's very over-rated. Plus, it's better in some cities that others. I would go with DSL, they're doing things to improve it everyday.

Back