Brotha discovers hockey and loves it

I still don't understand why the NHL does their playoffs matchups. For example, the Blues were the 2nd seed and my Blackhawks were the 3rd seed yet they played in the first round.

First round playoff series matches up teams within the same division. That's why the Hawks and Blues played each other in the first round.

Dude just doesn't know the history of hockey. Black men played hockey decades ago, long before it became popular with White players.
He needs to read the book "Black Ice" about the Black Hockey League.

I was a big hockey fan in my youth. I stopped watching in high school. I might try to start back watching.I was a huge blackhawks fan and I hated them loaded azz red wings teams.

Dude just doesn't know the history of hockey. Black men played hockey decades ago, long before it became popular with White players.
He needs to read the book "Black Ice" about the Black Hockey League.
True,
My generation fell off on hockey big time though.

I use to go see the Flyers back in the 80s, we were just about the only people of color in that arena (Spectrum) that did not work there.

You can blame the NHL for that. After the league's last lockout, ESPN basically dropped its NHL coverage. So did FOX -- networks that televised regular season games and the Stanley Cup Final. The league then had national broadcasts and postseason games on OLN and Versus for a few years -- networks nobody watched before crafting a deal with NBC.

Hockey and lacrosse. I actually watch more lacrosse than hockey. That sport needs a transcendent superstar to make it popular and get out of fringe status (softball, CFL, WNBA, PBA, etc.)

I know Duke has a brother on their team and that they are several black hockey players in the league but they need a black super star

All teams play within the division the first two rounds. That's the setup. The NHL postseason isn't structured like it used to be with the old 1 vs. 8 seeding system.

Dallas finished No. 1 in the Central. So they played Minnesota, which finished 4th in the Central. The Blackhawks were third in the Central and played second place STL. It's like that throughout the league. Philly played Washington -- both in the same division-- met in the first round.,

I like hockey, I just wonder why they don't get the CTE research that football gets and they have the same amount of contact and head injuries

I like hockey, I just wonder why they don't get the CTE research that football gets and they have the same amount of contact and head injuries

Same reason they don't bother hockey about all the fighting.....the brothers are not making all the money. lol. But the truth is the hockey guys want to be seen as tough anyway, no matter what, so they won't say anything about CTE or what not. Just my take on it.

Pittsburgh vs Washington is the series to watch now. I'm pulling for the Capitals in this one.

When the Flames were in Atlanta, my dad and I use to go to a bunch of their games at the Omni. They use to a ice rink inside the Omni. That's how I learned to ice skate.

I've been a fan of the game since 96. Colorado Avalanche and Dallas Stars were the two teams that I got into. But over the years I've slowly become all in with the Stars.

I've always been aware and knowledgeable of hockey.It even goes all the way back for me growing up playing Blades of Steel and NHL from EA Sports.
I loved Philadelphia when they had the Legion of Doom with Eric Lindros, John Leclair, & Mikael Renberg

I've always been aware and knowledgeable of hockey.It even goes all the way back for me growing up playing Blades of Steel and NHL from EA Sports.
I loved Philadelphia when they had the Legion of Doom with Eric Lindros, John Leclair, & Mikael Renberg
The Legion was like watching WWE

Serious question though: Why don't a lot of black people play and watch hockey? There has been a decline in African American participation in baseball, and people say it's because the game is slow and boring, which I don't agree with. But Hockey is the opposite of slow and boring. It's fast paced and violent like this guy says. So why isn't it popular among African Americans?

Serious question though: Why don't a lot of black people play and watch hockey? There has been a decline in African American participation in baseball, and people say it's because the game is slow and boring, which I don't agree with. But Hockey is the opposite of slow and boring. It's fast paced and violent like this guy says. So why isn't it popular among African Americans?

Folks aren't going to go out of their way to be invested in anything they can't identify with for the most part.

How many ice skating rinks do you know in the hood? I don't even know if hockey has an urban initiative to teach us the game. The baddest black cat I can remember was Jerome Iginla.

Back