Black Pledge sorority

G Lion

UA sorority accepts its first black pledge
BY CHRIS BRANAM ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

FAYETTEVILLE ? The first black student to pledge the University of Arkansas chapter of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority smiled Thursday as she described herself as a "so-called pioneer."
Autumn Gardner said she?s genuinely surprised that she?s gaining attention because of her choice.
"I had no idea it would be such a big deal," said Gardner, a freshman who broke the color barrier at the Fayetteville campus? chapter last week.
"[But] I can see how it would arouse interest," she said.
Gardner isn?t the first black student at UA to pledge sororities or fraternities that have been historically all-white at the state?s flagship campus, said Debra Euculano, director of the campus? Greek Life programs.
Two black students pledged fraternities and a black student pledged a sorority since she joined the UA campus 18 years ago, Euculano said.
The university doesn?t keep official records of the ethnic backgrounds of members, she said.
The campus has four historically black sorority chapters and three such fraternity chapters, said Scott Walter, UA?s associate dean of students and former director of Greek Life programs.
UA tries to get the groups to mingle, Walter said.
"When we do programming, diversity is always an issue that comes up during the semester," he said. "We get our historically black groups and historically white groups together."
Yet, Gardner?s inclusion at Kappa Kappa Gamma "opens the door to diversifying the Greek system," at UA, he said.
White students have traditionally constituted the Greek system because most fraternities and sororities were founded more than 100 years ago when college was "for upperclass white citizens," Walter said.
In fact, many sororities and fraternities wrote exclusionary clauses into their constitutions so that they would not accept black or Jewish members, said author and lecturer Lawrence Ross Jr., who wrote The Divine Nine: The History of African-American Fraternities and Sororities in America.
Despite the clauses, some chapters of all-white fraternities tried to accept black students in the 1940s and 1950s, but those efforts were quashed by the national organizations, Ross said.
The racial clauses eventually disappeared, he said.
"It?s still unusual to see black members in predominantly white fraternities and sororities," Ross said.
Institutions in other parts of the country have had integrated sororities and fraternities for several years, Walter said.
"I worked at [Pennsylvania?s] Lehigh University, and it wasn?t an issue 10 years ago," Walter said. "The South has been one of the last thresholds to give in."
Gardner?s new membership at Kappa Kappa Gamma "isn?t new or surprising" to the National Panhellenic Conference, Chairman Sally Grant said.
The 101-year-old conference is an umbrella organization for 26 international women?s fraternities and sororities, including Kappa Kappa Gamma.
"Certainly campuses on the East Coast and West Coast and in Canada, all their sororities have been diversified," said Grant, an Alpha Phi alumna. The South has more integrated sorority chapters than one would think, she said.
Anna Reed, Kappa Kappa Gamma?s UA chapter president, talked recently to chapter representatives at the University of Oklahama in Norman and Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. Both of those chapters have black members, Reed said.
Word spread quickly through the UA sororities and fraternities when Gardner pledged Kappa Kappa Gamma, Reed said. The Arkansas Traveler, UA?s campus newspaper, reported the story in Monday?s edition.
Sorority members approved Gardner because of her academics, strong morals and leadership ability, Reed said. The sorority accepted 57 pledges after Rush Week, Reed said.
Gardner, 19, was an honors student at Searcy High School who was listed in the 2001-02 annual edition of Who?s Who Among American High School Students.
"It really didn?t have anything to do with her color," Reed said. "She wouldn?t be here if the majority of our house didn?t want her here."
Although the selection process is secret, Reed said she didn?t hear any negative comments from sorority members or alumni about Gardner?s race.
Gardner said she didn?t pledge the UA chapters of historically black sororities because she didn?t know much about them. She felt comfortable at Kappa Kappa Gamma, Gardner said.
"My intent wasn?t to prove a point," she said.
Gardner, who plans to major in nursing, wanted to pledge Kappa Kappa Gamma because she knew some Searcy High graduates who belonged to the sorority, she said.
"I looked up to them a lot," Gardner said.
Reed said members of the UA Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter weren?t trying to "make a social statement" by accepting Gardner.
But Gardner?s pledge is "a step forward for the chapter and our whole Greek system," Reed said.

Whatever floats her boat, I guess.

I know a girl who tried to pledge Tri-Delta TWICE at UofA, and was turned down both times.

Then she tried to pledge AKA, and called her grandmother when she got turned down for that.

Grandmother told her, "Sorry, I can't do anything for ya!"

In all fairness to her, though, she probably wasn't exposed too much to any of the BGLO Sororities in Searcy. There aren't that many blacks there.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Originally posted by G Lion

FAYETTEVILLE ? The first black student to pledge the University of Arkansas chapter of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority smiled Thursday as she described herself as a "so-called pioneer."

There was an article identical to this at Alabama a few weeks ago. (in fact, I thought this was it until reading.)

I'm not too high on celebrating this because as I see it, this has a double-edged sword. What about "the first white pledge" being accepted at (enter your HBCU here)? In your most "ardant" frat/sorority?

At Tuskegee in the 80s, there may have been some white frats/sorors, but I can't recall any. If I had to go down the list of frats and sororities at Tuskegee that have had their first white, I couldn't do it. Now maybe things have changed and some of you young folk can update me. Here's my guess at the status at Tuskegee:

Alphas - maybe now, but in my day, no way.
Ques - he!! nawl, my day, this day, "today, tomorrow, forever" as George Wallace would put it.
KKY - nope. (I dont' know if there has ever been a white member of the Marching Crimson Pipers.)
Pershing Riffles - yes i think.
Kappas - nope.
Sigmas - maybe.
Deltas - absolutely not.
AKAs - maybe.
Ta Beta Sigs - nope.
et al frats/soros - most likely not.

Now granted, Tuskegee not being a state college with mandates to have substantial white students, there's not much of a pool of whites to even attempt to get involved in college life at Tuskegee, so Tuskegee may not bee a good example. We have a significant enrollment in the vet school, but pretty sparse outside that.

Now A&T on the other hand, I would guess has had more whites to break the black frat/sorority color line than Tuskegee due to their higher enrollment of white students, but not sure.

I really can't understand why an African American student want to pledge an all and historically White fraternity and sorority.

Maybe they are out of touch with the reality of racism in America and especially ARKANSAS!!

The Black greeks were founded to help their communities and their people. For some reason that point is not getting across to our people. I have sympathy for those who do not have any pride in their heritage.

Superiority and inferiority are brainwashed sublty by the images and symbols we see and hear in our culture. I see and hear them everyday and if you don't notice them, they can influence your psych, your attitude about race.

Originally posted by pbla
I really can't understand why an African American student want to pledge an all and historically White fraternity and sorority.

Maybe they are out of touch with the reality of racism in America and especially ARKANSAS!!

The Black greeks were founded to help their communities and their people. For some reason that point is not getting across to our people. I have sympathy for those who do not have any pride in their heritage.

Superiority and inferiority are brainwashed sublty by the images and symbols we see and hear in our culture. I see and hear them everyday and if you don't notice them, they can influence your psych, your attitude about race.

I agree totally. Sometimes you would be suprised how much the parents contribute to issues of this nature. I hate to see when our children have to find out the hard way that there iz NO luv fo us.

Re: Re: Black Pledge sorority

Originally posted by Bartram

At Tuskegee in the 80s, there may have been some white frats/sorors, but I can't recall any. If I had to go down the list of frats and sororities at Tuskegee that have had their first white, I couldn't do it. Now maybe things have changed and some of you young folk can update me. Here's my guess at the status at Tuskegee:

Alphas - maybe now, but in my day, no way.

We had our first white initiate at Univ. of Kansas back in the '50's, but I saw a white Frat at regionals this past March from Ala. State.

I met a white Delta at So. Miss last year....I got to see her step and she had some moves!! I was impressed.

Personally, I welcome other races to Black Greek-letter orgs. Servitude is the whole purpose of a fraternity/sorority, particularly the Divine Nine. And what makes black orgs. different from white ones is the fact that our orgs. extend much further than just college. It is a lifetime commitment so I would welcome anyone that wants to give their life to my fraternity.

I coulda sworn I saw a white Alpha on A&M's campus for a minute. I think it was during my freshman year (93-94). He may not have pledged at A&M, but I saw him around more than once. If someone can verify that, please do.

Well, Univ of Ala Tusc got their first black pledge in a white frat/soror EVER, so maybe the times they are a changin. I say whatever. If that's the way they wanna go, fine. But I don't think it needs to be hailed as some landmark point in our culture's history or anything.

Originally posted by G Lion

Well bless her heart.

Originally posted by kevdawg
Well, Univ of Ala Tusc got their first black pledge in a white frat/soror EVER, so maybe the times they are a changin. I say whatever. If that's the way they wanna go, fine. But I don't think it needs to be hailed as some landmark point in our culture's history or anything.

My sentiments exactly!!!!

Any time something having to do with race occurs at The University of Alabama (or in the state of Alabama for that matter) it is analyzed and nit-picked to death by the media due to our state's past history reguarding racial issues.

Just like some thread I was reading in the sports forum about FAMUs assention to Div I-A and them not having a "diverse" coaching staff. Sure enough, just like clock work, the articles points out the University of Alabama and the hiring of Mike Shula over Sylvester Croom as this "hideous atrocity" committed against the cause of black equality and highering at Div I-A colleges, especially in the SEC. Never mind Georgia just hired Mark Rich, Florida just hired Zook, Kentucky just hired Brooks, LSU hired the guy from Michigan state; no critical analysis and constant referencing of those "unfair" hiers,,,, nope, JUST GOOD OLE ALABAMA. Alabama is the only place where this occurs and/or where "our collective conscious' are made aware and human injustices are made right." :rolleyes: Now the Mike Shula-Sylvester Croom situation is this classic case study in the problem with Div I-A schools hiering black coachs, the medias poster child for the "good ole boy" system and all that is wrong with Div I-A coaching hirers in the SEC. :rolleyes: Next there will be a congressional investigation and hearings totally focusing on The Univ of Alabama and that situation. :rolleyes: ok, i'm off my soap box. :mad:

I personally don't give a fugg....the sad thing is she doesn't even speak to brothers and she has stated that she only dates white men. I saw her Saturday and spoke.....whe looked at me and kept walking.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
I personally don't give a fugg....the sad thing is she doesn't even speak to brothers and she has stated that she only dates white men. I saw her Saturday and spoke.....whe looked at me and kept walking.

"This bimbo has some nerve. Only dates white men?! Won't speak to a brotha??!! THIS IS DEPLORABLE!!! She must think she too good for her own race or something!"

Sincerely, O.J. Simpson and Tiger Woods.

^:lmao:

Well, I have seen some knock-out sisters clinging to white folks. To each his/her own, but brothers: PLEASE get a white girl worth fawning over!! PLEASE :(

Anyway, back to topic, Sylvester Croom didn't even seem pressed about not getting the job, until folks like Jesse Jackson & the media came down on it. Nothing against Jesse, but some issues just ain't worth scwabbling over. But you're right Bartram, this racial mess just gets pushed way out of proportion in Alabama. That's why we'll never "get over it"; no one lets us! The minute we think this society is cool and race is less of an issue, we get yet another issue thrown in our face.

...still waiting to exhale.

^:lmao:but brothers: PLEASE get a white girl worth fawning over!! PLEASE :(

AND HOW! :lmao:

That's why we'll never "get over it"; no one lets us! The minute we think this society is cool and race is less of an issue, we get yet another issue thrown in our face.

AMEN. It seems both extremes, mugz like the KKK/hate groups and mugz like the liberal, politically correct media (errr, basically CNN), are always out to exploit the slightest race issue in Alabama. This $hit gets on my last nerve.

..........Anyway, back to topic, Sylvester Croom didn't even seem pressed about not getting the job, until folks like Jesse Jackson & the media came down on it. Nothing against Jesse, but some issues just ain't worth scwabbling over.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The examples we have in the public may have something to with her decision in addition to her family influences. Condeleeza Rice told a story about how as a child she wanted to be in a talent show and told her dad she wanted to be a Supreme ( Diana Ross). He told her that's not appropriate and she ended being someone like Patsy Cline. Just food for thought...

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
I thought the topic was about a white pledge here in Fayetteville.

I thought it was about a black pledging a white sorority? Which is it? :confused:

But anytime Jesse Jackson is mentioned regarding some crappy race issue, I will agree wholeheartly.

So that being said, if she is happy pledging a white sorority, then that's HER choice! ;)

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
Well, her dumb ass will soon find out how much they love her.

Man I have been trying to find a picture of her.....my frat was like she needs to stop getting her hair done with the white chicks...lol

I coulda sworn I saw a white Alpha on A&M's campus for a minute. I think it was during my freshman year (93-94). He may not have pledged at A&M, but I saw him around more than once. If someone can verify that, please do.

You are somewhat correct, Kev. You did see a white Alpha on the Hill, but he actually pledged and attended Auburn...he just liked to come up a lot. Mike was real cool, and could step his azz off, but he really didn't hang with most of the bruhs (not that he didn't try ;)).
A lot of black greeks are still not comfortable with being "infiltrated" with white members in their organizations. I can understand why...but to each his own.

*shrug*

Actually Ntel, I think he's talking about Samuel Roberts who was initiated in 1991. Bro. Roberts was actually from Guyana, so I think he was descendant of West Indian, African, and European bloodlines.

I never talked to the guy or was really anywhere close enough to hear if he had an accent, so it could be either one. I just remembered seeing a white guy walking on the block a few times with a black A Phi A t-shirt on. I was like :eek2: But hey, if they ain't got a problem with it, neither should I :tup:

I never talked to the guy or was really anywhere close enough to hear if he had an accent, so it could be either one. I just remembered seeing a white guy walking on the block a few times with a black A Phi A t-shirt on. I was like :eek2: But hey, if they ain't got a problem with it, neither should I :tup:

I saw a white frat at nationals in San Antonio, 1989. I'm pretty sure he was from the southern region, but I don't think he was from an HBCU if I remember correctly. Dat mug seemed to mix in well socially much to my suprise. :eek2:

Back