Big Ten and SEC are running away with college football

Olde Hornet

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ball-power-five-chasing-big-ten-sec/89111786/

Right now, it’s really more like a Power Two.

For the foreseeable future, the Big Ten and the SEC are going to make significantly more money for their members than the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. Likewise, the next 10 years of college football are likely to produce more titles for those leagues — and by a significant margin — than any others.

The SEC has already hit the the $30-plus million per year range in its per school distribution, with a high likelihood (if not certainty) that the numbers will get significantly bigger over the next few years as the SEC Network’s profits increase. The Big Ten is also just above $30 million but recently agreed to a series of new TV deals that should push its revenue toward $50 million per school going into the next decade.

And though the other leagues are all close enough for now in the $25 million range — and the Big 12 distributed $30.4 million per school last year — the concern is whether they have as many ways to grow the revenue pie going into their next contracts with the cable television environment looking more and more questionable.

2017 Recruiting Rankings AS OF 8/26/2016

1) Ohio State
2) Alabama
3) LSU

Last edited:

I honestly think it's just a revolving door,.. Early 2000's it was The big East (Miami, VT, Marshall, Pitt) and ACC (Florida state, NC State, Maryland, Then towards the middle of you had the big 12 with (Texas, Oklahoma, OKST, Mizzo, TTech, Nebraska) then later to now you have the SEC reign..in a few years power will shift to another Confrence with a few teams always being in the conversation from each Confrence like your Bamas, LSU, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida state, Oklahoma, Texas, USC , Oregon

I honestly think it's just a revolving door,.. Early 2000's it was The big East (Miami, VT, Marshall, Pitt) and ACC (Florida state, NC State, Maryland, Then towards the middle of you had the big 12 with (Texas, Oklahoma, OKST, Mizzo, TTech, Nebraska) then later to now you have the SEC reign..in a few years power will shift to another Confrence with a few teams always being in the conversation from each Confrence like your Bamas, LSU, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida state, Oklahoma, Texas, USC , Oregon

The Big Ten and SEC have a lot more TV money. That's when things changed.

It was never the "Big East". It was Miami and sometimes VT when they kept those Hampton Roads kids in state. Same with the ACC. It was FSU.

Those times are all but over though. With the way the tv contracts are structured now the SEC and Big 10 are about to be way ahead of everyone else. One of the main reasons the Big 12 is trying to expand so that they can keep up.

It was never the "Big East". It was Miami and sometimes VT when they kept those Hampton Roads kids in state. Same with the ACC. It was FSU.

But Miami was better then everyone plus W.Virgina, Pitt and Marshall were no pushovers, but I agree about it just being FSU in the ACC

Those times are all but over though. With the way the tv contracts are structured now the SEC and Big 10 are about to be way ahead of everyone else. One of the main reasons the Big 12 is trying to expand so that they can keep up.

Yea, me to, hopefully they make the right move, but I still think as long as the Big 12 has Texas and OU, they won't fall as hard as you think, Specially if Strong gets Texas going

Is a few schools the college football landscape needs to be good, and ACC has 2 ( FSU, Miami)

True but when is Miami going to step back on the scene? They been off the radar for 10 years. .. we will see what Richt does with Miami... Clemson might remain a serious contender and GaTech, VaTech and Louisville shall return to form soon.

I thought when the 30 for 30 of "The U" came out And kids seen Miami from back in the day they would go there but I guess not lol..

But

I would guess whenever they can keep most of the talent in South Florida (Miami-Dade, Boward, and Palm Beach) from going away. .Mark Richt was a good recruiter at Georgia so hopefully he will be at Miami as well..If he can get some relationships established an get those kids to buy in from a recruiting stand point, there will be a major power shift in college football...but that's a big "IF" lol

True but when is Miami going to step back on the scene? They been off the radar for 10 years. .. we will see what Richt does with Miami... Clemson might remain a serious contender and GaTech, VaTech and Louisville shall return to form soon.

The question with Miami now is how one defines "back." In terms of finances/facilities, it's way behind their in-state peers and most national powerhouses. It could become a pretty good program, but given its disadvantages, another 80s/90s level run is probably out of the question.

Back