Baseball "Magic City Classic" AAMU vs ASU 4/25/2015 Historical Birmingham Rickwood Field

You miss the fog delay. A&M was the better team yesterday. They were more aggressive particularly at the plate and more focus. Congrats. Enjoyed the games at historic Rickwood Field. This was the first series a Melendez coached team has loss a weekend series in 2 years.

With the Bulldogs bats and if they get the pitching, they could make some noise in the tourney.

I think we should alternate this game in Birmingham every year ...I hope that is the plan and asu will be giving there home date in april to move it to Birmingham,,,

there are many opportunities for this game to grow and become something special for the black community in the city if marketed correctly

I think we should alternate this game in Birmingham every year ...I hope that is the plan and asu will be giving there home date in april to move it to Birmingham,,,

there are many opportunities for this game to grow and become something special for the black community in the city if marketed correctly
Now how many black players are on both teams, because I have been noticing a trend with our teams lately.

Now how many black players are on both teams, because I have been noticing a trend with our teams lately.

Very few.
rp_primary_DiamondClassic.jpeg

to lose with a team full of black players or to win with the best players you can find? who's winning with a team full of black players? anyone? I have no problem with what melendez is doing. those guys are a minority and looking for a way to make a better life for themselves and their families. no longer can we see ourselves as just hbcus. that ship has sailed for stated funded universities. the mission has to expand and becoming a university where minorities of all races feel welcome is a start... ultimately majority and minority students have to feel that our schools are their schools as well.

to lose with a team full of black players or to win with the best players you can find? who's winning with a team full of black players? anyone? I have no problem with what melendez is doing. those guys are a minority and looking for a way to make a better life for themselves and their families. no longer can we see ourselves as just hbcus. that ship has sailed for stated funded universities. the mission has to expand and becoming a university where minorities of all races feel welcome is a start... ultimately majority and minority students have to feel that our schools are their schools as well.

Exactly.

Well stated and in total agreement.

That wasn't my point, I was just asking to see if it was just at SU or conference-wide.

they are out there but you have to recruit hard to find quality more than quantity...the good ones will cost alot or even turn down more money to play a bit role in the SEC, etc.

But AAMU and ASU's coaches aren't black so they're going to go with who what they know first

It's not what they know first... It's finding the best players available, period. Something PWIs have been doing since integration.

It's not the SWAC coaches' jobs to find black players. If there were more out there good enough for this level, you'd see them on our teams, but we're trying to compete for national championships, right? Again, take the best players available, period.

You miss the fog delay. A&M was the better team yesterday. They were more aggressive particularly at the plate and more focus. Congrats. Enjoyed the games at historic Rickwood Field. This was the first series a Melendez coached team has loss a weekend series in 2 years.

With the Bulldogs bats and if they get the pitching, they could make some noise in the tourney.

It is about time to win the series. We came close in Montgomery. The pitching effectiveness declined in late March and early April because we played so many games in a short period of time to make up for the cancellations due to the bad weather spell. Hopefully, the arms will get enough rest before the SWAC tournament.

Reactions: J C

they are out there but you have to recruit hard to find quality more than quantity...the good ones will cost alot or even turn down more money to play a bit role in the SEC, etc.

But AAMU and ASU's coaches aren't black so they're going to go with who what they know first

You hit the nail on the head. The first line and second line black players don't want to play at our schools. They would rather be bench players at other schools than starters at our schools. The ironic thing is that, as soon as our schools start winning with other type of players, they want to come and play.

Each coach develops his pipeline for players. The team make-up will reflect the pipeline.

The Secret to Success: Mitch Hill Turns Around AAMU Baseball Program

Birmingham, Ala. (WHNT)
The SWAC basbeall tournament begins in mid May and for the first time, Alabama A&M feels like it has a chance. Third place in the east, but fresh off a double-header sweep of first place Alabama State. Meaningful baseball is a new concept to the Bulldogs who lost 41 games just three seasons ago.

“It was dead,” senior shortstop Julio Nunez said about the locker room atmosphere back then. “We were used to losing, losing was a habit.”

Mitch Hill took over the program in 2013 and none of his players knew what was coming next.

http://whnt.com/2015/04/26/the-secret-to-success-mitch-hill-turns-around-aamu-baseball-program/

I like the whole Diamond Magic City concept. I would have been there if my girls were not playing in a tournament.

Since when has the ship passed for supporting our own? Are you kidding me?! Folks of other ethnicities aren't giving up support for their own, yet we should do so because times have changed?

You like that Melendez has basically overhauled 80 percent of the team for folks that look like him? What other group of people are looking out for the needs of other ethnicities instead of their own? None that I know of.
If we keep giving up what's ours, soon we'll have nothing left.
I don't mind reaching out to help in a minor sense, but to give up more than 80 percent of ownership to anything that belongs to us is foolish and shortsighted indeed.

By the way, JSU has won the SWAC two straight years with mostly Black players. Just shows it still can be done.

Since when has the ship passed for supporting our own? Are you kidding me?! Folks of other ethnicities aren't giving up support for their own, yet we should do so because times have changed?

You like that Melendez has basically overhauled 80 percent of the team for folks that look like him? What other group of people are looking out for the needs of other ethnicities instead of their own? None that I know of.
I don't mind reaching out to help in a minor sense, but to give up more than 80 percent of ownership to anything that belongs to us is foolish and shortsighted indeed.
This is such a racist post. Racists and segregationists would be proud. smh

I guess in your "thinking", the goal of a coach shouldn't be to get players that he feels gives him the best chance to win, but the goal is to get a certain number of blacks. A player's color trumps everything else, huh?

You hit the nail on the head. The first line and second line black players don't want to play at our schools. They would rather be bench players at other schools than starters at our schools. The ironic thing is that, as soon as our schools start winning with other type of players, they want to come and play.

Each coach develops his pipeline for players. The team make-up will reflect the pipeline.

Thats the sad part...I saw a post on IG that made me sick a Maryland football player held up a sign saying " We arent Thugs when you pay to watch us play"....I was thinking that these white schools really have our black athletes fooled and then we get mad when they really express how they feel towards black athletes...

Back to the subject of black baseball...JSU has won back to back titles with black baseball talent...So yes it can be done but in order for our HBCUs to win we have to go out and get the best talent available...period..HBCUs athletics are in a tricky situation we do have a social responsibility to our community and black kids but we also need to attract more diversity to our schools to remain relevant...But I would like to see more of a mixed teams like the ones I have played on before JSU than an all-white team at Stillman...

Last edited:
Also the white kids that we (HBCUs) baseball programs are getting arent very good...those white kids who typically D3 or NAIA players are now playing in D1 baseball in the SWAC because they are getting the chance to play Division 1 baseball against their friends in the SEC,ACC in out of conference play when otherwise they wouldn't...

I umpired a NAIA game here in TN and was talking in between innings to a few Bama A&M transfers who were white and they were not very good at all...

But on the flip side our black athletes who do play baseball are now getting a shot to play D1 ball at the SEC schools like Vandy,Ole Miss and Miss St...back when I was at JSU you would have never seen a black player play for MS State or Vandy...

Corbin has 4 black kids at Vandy on the team last year..years ago those kids would be in the SWAC....

JSU's Melvin Rodgriques is a Puerto Ricans and one of the top players in the conference. He's also as black as me.

By the way, JSU has won the SWAC two straight years with mostly Black players. Just shows it still can be done.

Since our schools are publicly funded we have to understand that our schools belong to the citizens of the state, not just the black folks. As the academic offerings expand so to do the people who are willing to attend. The only place to become a PT, orOT in central alabama is alabama state. So guess what... Mary Jane Watson may never have thought of being a hornet but now she will be. The H in hbcu stands for historically. That means yesterday, and while we will embrace yesterday understand that tomorrow will and must be different.
Notre Dame is a cathoic university. They carry that banner. They are also privately funded. Bob Jones U. doesn't allow its students to date... interracially . They can do that because they are private. Our sucess long term is dependent upon diversity.

This is such a racist post. Racists and segregationists would be proud. smh

I guess in your "thinking", the goal of a coach shouldn't be to get players that he feels gives him the best chance to win, but the goal is to get a certain number of blacks. A player's color trumps everything else, huh?
Man miss me with that garbage. Black folks have given to every group in this nation without getting much back in return except being taken over by those groups we've helped.

What do you call it when Jews want to keep it in the family? What do you call it when Italians, Koreans, Chinese or Irish want to keep it in the family? It's simply called looking out for your own. If we stop doing it, who will do it for us? Nobody.

I can't believe some of these comments. Black folks are losing their history, heritage and culture quicker than any group in this nation and some are not alarmed about this?
Soon, there will be no need to have the "B" in HBCU at the rate we're going. Just let other folks take over all of "our" stuff without saying a peep and being so lackadaisical and passive.

Last edited:
Back