ASU Student Awarded Scholarship from Chinese Government

Olde Hornet

http://www.alasu.edu/news/news-details/index.aspx?nid=621

ASU senior Julian Bolden is one of only five students in the nation to receive a prestigious one-year study abroad scholarship from the Chinese government.

Julian Bolden, a senior computer science major in Alabama State University’s College of Science, Mathematics and Technology, was awarded a full, one-year scholarship from the Chinese government as a general scholar student in its Computer Science and Technology program.

The Chinese Embassy Scholarship is issued through The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) as a part of the U.S. State Department’s 100,000 Strong Initiative, which provides study abroad experiences for 100,000 Americans over the next four years, pending public and private funding.

Bolden will start his studies at the Hunan University in Changsha, China, in September. The Albany, Ga., native said the trip to China will help prepare him to compete in the global arena.

“It is a great opportunity to study abroad in China because it will enhance me on a cultural, academic and international level,â€￾ he said. “I will miss my family and friends, but an additional plus is that I will return to the United States fluent in two languages.â€￾

Back