ASU On-Campus Stadium Options.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
I like dabbling in urban/regional planning as a hobby and am interested in ideas on the situation at land-locked ASU in urban Montgomery. (this is a serious thread, no smack please. thanks.)

There's been some rumblings over the years about ASU buying land around the campus for general future expansion and a possible on-campus football stadium. This would be a great idea if ASU could acquire the land to the east of the campus (see pic the area outlined in red) or maybe the land north of the western end of the campus (see pic red outline).

If ASU could acquire all of the land east of the campus as I have outlined in red, there would be several stadium configuration options. A couple I outline in yellow. What a great venue this would be with "GaTech" type access to the interstate and room for parking plus clos proximity to the Acadome. Either #1 or #2 would be good but you could re-orient them. #3 would be ok, but parking would be a problem unless you could relocate the practice field and make the existing practice field area part of the parking. A "Lewis Crews" or FAMU type of stadium in sights #1 or #2 would be a very nice addition to the campus.

ASU staprop1.JPG

(boy Google Earth is GOOD STUFF ain't it?! OH MY GOODNESS!!)

Thoughts ASUers?

Will a stadium being built on these areas cause any problems with existing buildings? Oh btw, nice campus and layout.

JagHammer said:
Will a stadium being built on these areas cause any problems with existing buildings? Oh btw, nice campus and layout.

I seem to remember a few years ago there was "resistance" to ASU expansion in the area east of campus, but from OH's reply, seems that is no longer an issue so seems the answer would be no. It looks like there is a church on that property (hopefully no cemetary associated with it) also. That may be a problem. That is a natural growth corridor for ASU, great acquisition on getting that land. The only other options would be north of the interstate and maybe west. I don't see ASU being able to encroach on historic Old Cloverdale too much.

This is a great area/situation for OC with two colleges on its perimeter. Would like to see OC develop with more pubs, apartments and such like areas around NC State etc.

site 3 and the area just west of the campus was patterson court. I thought they owned that land but had leased it to the city at some point. as well, I thought they were trying to buy land just south of the acadome, which is a residential area, but I could be wrong about that. by building close to the acadome you could use the parking there and at the tennis center. it will look great from the interstate as you pass through on I85.

major095 said:
site 3 and the area just west of the campus was patterson court. I thought they owned that land but had leased it to the city at some point. as well, I thought they were trying to buy land just south of the acadome, which is a residential area, but I could be wrong about that. by building close to the acadome you could use the parking there and at the tennis center. it will look great from the interstate as you pass through on I85.

AND HOW. I mean it would be CLASSIC the view from I-85. I'm telling you it would be a smaller version of Grant Field or whatever the name of GaTech's stadium is right off the downtown connector in Atlanta. I'd be perfect.

Now if they do own the Patterson Court area, that would be another good option which would integrate well with the existing practice facilities.

This is far-fetched, but they could also acquire land across the interstate north of the campus, right, and build a massive pedestrian crosswalk to a stadium and athletic complex all ringed by a historic district what with the MLK house, that old historic hotel and what not,, and an entertainment district anchored in the are where "The Rose" (errrrr,,, "Top Flight" in my day) or whatever it's called now is.

Nice topic, Bartram.

As someone stated earlier, Alabama State ALREADY OWNS 99% of the land circled in red around your proposed sites #1 and #2, plus the land just south of that area.

We currently have two buildings being planned for that area, but there should be enough room left for a stadium.

:tup:

As much as JSU and ASU rag on each other...................Having enough land in an URBAN setting is pain we both feel.

Look like ya'll got quite a bit of undevoloped land. With the right plan, it can be done. Your future expantion to the north is blocked and the neighborhood to the south is the problem we ran into on all sides of JSU.

It took years and a lot of $$$$$$ to buy out and relocate people.

Bartram said:
Thoughts ASUers?
Bartram, I'm not an ASUer but I am an urban planner so I'll offer my very brief thoughts on this. Ofcourse, I have never been on or near Alabama State's campus but it seems to me (and this is with me using google earth as my guide) that site #2 would be the best choice.

In laymen's terms, and I'm just throwing this out there, I would build the stadium on site #2. A field house would be built just north of the stadium where Marguerite Street currently is. Parking lots would be constructed to the east and southeast sides of the stadium, abutting Forest Avenue and Hardaway Street. Driving entrances along each street would allow fans, alumni and visitors to enter the stadium parking lots. There would be a pedestrian type entrance on the west side of the stadium along Hall Street where students and those on campus would enter the stadium.

My problem with site #3 is that it seems to be in area that is already fairly developed. Relocating whatever is there would be costly. Sites #1 & #2 seem to be more suitable for that type of development as their seems to be more vacant land in that area.

However, when it comes down to choosing between those two sites I'd choose #2 to keep heavy traffic on the perimeter of the campus (Forest and Hardaway). I would also design the E. University and Hall Street areas between North University and South University as a pedestrian-only "strip" for GAMEDAY (perfect for the young folks to "hang"). Already existing parking along E. University and at the Acadome along with open space between E. University and Hall Street would make it a nice place to be for students and on-campus folks on saturdays.

Gramfan I didnt know you were an urban planner? where did you get your degree from?...did you go to to San Antonio last week?

I have a bachelors in urban planning and im workin on my masters with an emphasis in transportation right now!

Bartram, how does the city of montgomery and the department of transportation feel about this idea? would they support it?

TRU3000 said:
I have a bachelors in urban planning and im workin on my masters with an emphasis in transportation right now!
Yea, Tru. A while back in another thread I noticed where you mentioned you had a degree in planning. I replied to your post to let you know I was a planner as well but you probably never noticed it. I received my B.A. and M.A. from the school formerly known as U. of Southwestern Louisiana (now UL-Lafayette). The program was eliminated shortly after I got out of grad school due to a cut in state funding. There isn't one school in the State of Louisiana that offers planning as a field of study.:redhot:

I did not make it to San Antonio last week but I do plan to make the national conference next year (wherever it may be).

TRU3000 said:
Gramfan I didnt know you were an urban planner? where did you get your degree from?...did you go to to San Antonio last week?

Bartram, how does the city of montgomery and the department of transportation feel about this idea? would they support it?

Not too current on Montgomery politics, but generally judging from since about 1997 one thing I can say that would be at least a positive for anything having to do with ASU and Montgomery government is Emory Folmar has long been out of office! :lol:

But seriously, Montgomery is going through a period of growth and interest in developing downtown right now so anything having to do with improvements to the ASU campus would fit nicely in Montgomery's long term master plan for urban and regional development of the area, Envision 2020:

http://www.envision2020.org/

Now that's not to say that the city of Montgomery would float bonds for ASU projects, but to say that it would seem the political climate in Montgomery for "joint" ventures and/or cooperation at least from the Montgomery legislative delegation to lobby hard for state appropriations for ASU projects probably gets no better than it is now/has been since Bright was elected and Montgomery really started focusing on downtown/riverfront development.

Deuce said:
Nice topic, Bartram.

As someone stated earlier, Alabama State ALREADY OWNS 99% of the land circled in red around your proposed sites #1 and #2, plus the land just south of that area.

We currently have two buildings being planned for that area, but there should be enough room left for a stadium.

:tup:

HUGE SimCity addict here chief. :nod:

yeah that was a CRUCIAL acquisition there. i remember the haggling back & forth but never heard how the situation was settled. wouldn't rule out acquisition of land directly north of the interstate sometime in the next 20-50 years either and redesign on/off ramp direct access to the campus. ASU will either have to expand out or up.

I'm willing to bet ASU has a master plan of it's own. I'm gonna have to do a google search a little later, as I have some things I need to take care of in a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure that officials at ASU have things mapped out as far as future development is concerned.

GramFan said:
I'm willing to bet ASU has a master plan of it's own. I'm gonna have to do a google search a little later, as I have some things I need to take care of in a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure that officials at ASU have things mapped out as far as future development is concerned.

I believe that plan is being updated. The University is currently adding a forenisc program and building near Carter Hill Road and that building is not on the plan. Plus the College of Education and The Biological Sciences (I think) program are getting new facilities as well. They are going on site 1 and 2.

They have bought that land but the church will not move and there are also a few residents that are not moving. On that map with the future plans, that is the same place they talked about a few years back. If it would have happened then that stadium would be going up as we speak. Its all about money.

problem with Google earth now is that the sattelite photos are outdated....I looked at the area of town now where I live and they have things that weren't even built yet...

is ASU's campus still like that?

is ASU paying rent for the Cramton?

the band fan said:
problem with Google earth now is that the sattelite photos are outdated....I looked at the area of town now where I live and they have things that weren't even built yet...

is ASU's campus still like that?

is ASU paying rent for the Cramton?

No the city does not charge ASU for the use of Cramton Bowl. There should be something coming out shortly on a new proposal from a distinquish alum/contractor. It's all about the dollar. We will see if it happen.

Bart,

What's the latest on the expansion of Abbot Field? After Payton retires, do you think more money will be put in Tuskegee's athletic program allowing it to move up to D-1A

Back