all the way from the Dec to Grambling State University!

JayThomas

East Lake foursome tee off for a full ride

By CHARLES YOO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/09/06

It was no ordinary field where the boys from the East Lake neighborhood grew up playing.
The grass was always immaculately trimmed. Its clubhouse sold polo shirts. Men who wore tailored suits to work were regulars there. It was a rarefied environment for four black kids from a housing project so violent it was dubbed "Little Vietnam."

For a decade, a group of boys took free golf lessons at the East Lake Golf Club through a program for kids from the surrounding neighborhood on the western edge of DeKalb County. And it paid off.

The boys ? Brandon Bradley, 17; Shelton Davis, 18; Willie Brown, 18; and Rodriquez Lowery, 18 ? have all been accepted to Louisiana's Grambling State University on full golf scholarships.

The scholarships are sweet redemption for the young men who were dissed by their peers because they played golf.

"They said it's easy to play, it's boring to watch, and it's white people's sport." Brown said.

There's not much of that kind of talk anymore.

Find this article at:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/0509metgolf.html

image_3656933.jpg

Rodriquez Lowery, Willie Brown, Shelton Davis and Brandon Bradley (from left)
had the last laugh on their peers who made fun of them for playing golf.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
man, I love these kinds of articles about our young brothers.

with so much negative crap constantly feed to us thru the media,

it's nice and refreshing when a story like this gets thru the other crap.

I'm very proud of these young brothers!

:jump:

JayThomas said:
man, I love these kinds of articles about our young brothers.

with so much negative crap constantly feed to us thru the media,

it's nice and refreshing when a story like this gets thru the other crap.

I'm very proud of these young brothers!

:jump:

Exactly. :tup:

The Lady is a golfer

DESPITE Tiger Woods' dominance of the golf game over the past few years, many Jamaicans still harbour the mistaken notion that this is a game only for rich, old, white men.

Well, Nicole Dixon, a poor, young, black girl is also a golfer. In fact, golf has given her the option for a future that was beyond her wildest imagination. Last week Monday when I sat down for dinner at Breezes Runaway Bay hotel, a bright eyed young lady filled my water glass and inquired if I would be having wine.

This I affirmed - white and dry. She returned and poured the wine then cautiously asked if my son was a junior golfer. This I affirmed and she went on to indicate that she had seen him play a few times. I asked her if she was a junior golfer, she said "not anymore", but hastened to add that she was one of four Jamaicans who would be attending Grambling State University in Louisiana in August with full golf scholarships. I was blown away.

Full Story

Back