Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Revealed

Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

I'm glad someone see this as well..JSU don't travel if it ain't Memphis... I'm trying to figure where they go by the bus loads and talking about others traveling. Yeah, we might travel like years past but neither does JSU.

What does JSU have to do with anything? How do you don't know we don't travel when most SWAC schools have their highest attendance rates when JSU shows up. Just ask the folks in Memphis each year; ask SU (who only sends 2,000 tickets) yet the game almost sells out every year; ask Valley, who we sellout most years; ask Grambling, who has some of their highest nmbers when we visit; ask your own fans what the sellout in Lorman was like last year; even ask Bama State fans, when JSU shows up, their attendance numbers go up? Only places JSU may not travel to much is Tex. Southern, PV and AAMU. PB's numbers are usually higher as well but not as high as it could be.

This is why we don't need two and three classics every year. One is fine with us.
Carry on folks.
Folks say JSU don't travel but when you add up the numbers, it's not true.

Last edited:
Re: Alcorn State vs. Grambling: 2013 Circle City Classic Football Game Payouts Reveal

We offered the Braves more money to play in the annual Turkey Day Classic than they are getting for their relocated home game against Grambling. Interesting!

Playing you all takes them out of playoff contention.

But you're forgetting about money from parking (reserved, tailgating, and general admission), concessions in the stadium, as well as money from places like the gas station, bookstore, and the cafeteria. We could have cleared $230,000 after expenses.

That money does not amount to much. Home games won't produce you any money unless you charging like $50/ticket. Ask your AD. By the time you pay security and others to take $5/car, all the revenue is eaten up.

Why would any school use its own money and get final payment after the game? All monies should be in the bank or a line of credit signed to ensue both schools get paid. Knowing the history of GSU, you have to pay them before they leave home. Normally, JSU, SU and GSU could demand to get paid up front, according to what I have read up to this point, it appears money has to be made before the schools get paid.

Thank You..:lol:. I'm sorry but anything that "Black Folks" in it, I got to watch it. White Folks screw up too but black folks just do MESS...:lol:.

Thank You..:lol:. I'm sorry but anything that "Black Folks" in it, I got to watch it. White Folks screw up too but black folks just do MESS...:lol:.

This is the bottomline. What ya'll saying does not matter. Obviously, Alcorn admins know that they won't make over $100K for the game in Lorman. Even if they have to pay for the band and team to get to Indy, they will still make more or about the same. Don't always assume our adimins are dumb. Alcorn put up lights and don't use them because of the expense of turning them on. In the same sense, they ain't giving money away. JSU is probably the only game that is worth having at Alcorn.

WTF does JSU have to do with anything? How do you don't know we don't travel when most SWAC schools have their highest attendance rates when JSU shows up. Just ask the folks in Memphis each year; ask SU (who only sends 2,000 tickets) yet the game almost sells out every year; ask Valley, who we sellout most years; ask Grambling, who has some of their highest nmbers when we visit; ask your own fans what the sellout in Lorman was like last year; even ask Bama State fans, when JSU shows up, their attendance numbers go up? Only places JSU may not travel to much is Tex. Southern, PV and AAMU. PB's numbers are usually higher as well but not as high as it could be.

This is why we don't need two and three classics every year. One is fine with us.
Carry on folks.
Folks say JSU don't travel but when you add up the numbers, it's not true.

Take SU out of this JayRob. We don't use other folks fans to fill up Mumford. SU fans like any fans like certain rival games. So of course a JSU game, a game against FAMU, will draw out more fans than if PV or TxSU comes to town. But it has nothing to do with folks coming to take over our stadium or helping us fill it up. It is the matchup.

Now on the other hand, when SU is winning and winning big we will bring more than normal the fans other SWAC schools do when they go on the road even IF they are winning. It don't matter if JSU is 10-0, the fans ain't loading up to go see PV or TxSU. Yall just ain't interested in those schools. Even in the hey day, the fans didn't. Now yall will roll to Gram and take over especially if yall kicking folks to sleep. Yall will roll probably to Bama State now that they got a nice new stadium if yall are winning big. We have probably been the most consistent road fan base in the SWAC over the years going to everybody not just one school.

But none of our fan bases travel like they used to due to the old heads getting up in age or passing on. The old school is now some of us and the new school ain't rolling unless they think they will see some great football and other sights and sounds. But I can say even with SU being down for a while in football, our fans still do better than folks when they are down and even up for that matter. Winning for some programs cures all. If Alcorn starts winning again, their fan base will return. They actually turn out against SU when we come down there. Even though our fans love rolling to Lorman.

Last edited:

This is the bottomline. What ya'll saying does not matter. Obviously, Alcorn admins know that they won't make over $100K for the game in Lorman. Even if they have to pay for the band and team to get to Indy, they will still make more or about the same. Don't always assume our adimins are dumb. Alcorn put up lights and don't use them because of the expense of turning them on. In the same sense, they ain't giving money away. JSU is probably the only game that is worth having at Alcorn.

My comments were based on schools not getting paid. Get your money up front. What if all you get is the up front money and the game lose money? Some schools to date are still waiting on the check. If you sign a contract, just make sure all cost are covered. If you get $300,000 the team, staff, admin, band and misc should be covered in the contract.

I can't believe so many are knocking Alcorn taking this deal when they know this is a much needed payday that they wouldn't get in Lorman, MS. Alcorn made a smart decision.

Love them or hate them, Grambling has the biggest "football" name in FCS football among HBCUs. in a game like this, they will get a better deal.

I can't believe so many are knocking Alcorn taking this deal when they know this is a much needed payday that they wouldn't get in Lorman, MS. Alcorn made a smart decision.

Love them or hate them, Grambling has the biggest "football" name in FCS football among HBCUs. in a game like this, they will get a better deal.

You are right about that. Grambling is playing California and Colorado in 2015 and Arizona in 2016. There is talk of the Gmen bringing 500k home every game! Crazy stuff.

You are right about that. Grambling is playing California and Colorado in 2015 and Arizona in 2016. There is talk of the Gmen bringing 500k home every game! Crazy stuff.

Those games are nothing to brag about, in fact, they are an embarrassment on behalf of both parties BUT GSU is the biggest name in the HBCU football franchise and the CCC is lucky to get them. The GSU name is gonna put butts in the seats (hopefully). This is the best CCC match-up in a long time but Alcorn fans and ALL HBCU fans need to take a close look at this situation and get real about how much we DON'T make at home. Making money on home games is not an easy thing to do.

I forgot about SU (SU is forgetable nowadays). Behind, JSU.. their homecoming and the SU games are good draws.

this much hate can't be healthy. I guess (jsu) being owned by SU would cause you to type this. :lol:

Those games are nothing to brag about, in fact, they are an embarrassment on behalf of both parties BUT GSU is the biggest name in the HBCU football franchise and the CCC is lucky to get them. The GSU name is gonna put butts in the seats (hopefully). This is the best CCC match-up in a long time but Alcorn fans and ALL HBCU fans need to take a close look at this situation and get real about how much we DON'T make at home. Making money on home games is not an easy thing to do.

Our institutions need to concentrate on increasing season ticket sales. That's where our universities get the guaranteed bang for their bucks.

What is the DAMN point????? :shame:

Our institutions need to concentrate on increasing season ticket sales. That's where our universities get the guaranteed bang for their bucks.

We do but we also need money. Especially in BAMA, ya'll alums ain't going to the game until they find out what time Alabama is playing.

We do but we also need money. Especially in BAMA, ya'll alums ain't going to the game until they find out what time Alabama is playing.

That's why you need the season ticket sales (money) in case they change their minds about attending a game.

taking games on the road has eroded the home bases for alot of schools

taking games on the road has eroded the home bases for alot of schools

I think that is highly exaggerated. In HBCU land, only a few of us ever had fans in the first place and those school still need to win to bring out the crowds. Also, our fan base from 20 years ago is simply different in so many ways that someone could write a dissertation on it. On top of that, you have so many games on TV and the internet that people can choose to stay home and enjoy their Saturdays.

Back