Alcorn Fans (Question)

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
No Smack Please I was wondering what do you all think of Johnny Thomas now? I remember a while back, my Alcorn co-workers were calling for him to be fired. Now they seem to be content with his leadership. What do you all on TSPN think of the Good Doctor?

I think he has done what JSU's James Bell hasn't done. That's learn from his mistakes. He's hired good assistant coaches, John McKenzie and LaTraia Jones. They have recruited better. And he doesn't feel the need to make every coaching decision. Alcorn was 0-11 in 2000, then McKenzie was hired. They went 6-5 in 2001. Jones comes in 2003. They win a share of the division that year. That's a coach knowing how to allow his assistants to do their jobs and oversee everything effectively. It does help that JSU and Valley haven't been any good lately. That means Alcorn can finish no worst than third in the division. If the good doctor didn't make those adjustments it would have been curtains for him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Coach Thomas has gotten better. When he first got the job he surrounded himself with alot of yes men. The coaches he knew from his stay at Valley. The only coach from Alcorn on the staff was DB Coach Tony Woolfolk and Coach Woolfolk didn't get along with the new coaches. I was told their coaching ability was very limited. To show you how sorry they were 4 of those coaches stay in one apartment, we talking about 4 grown men. So after we went 0 -11 he revamped, I think the key figured was Coach Mckenzie and he brought a few Alcornites on the staff also, Richard Myles, Gary Lewis, and Willie 'Rat' Mcgowan JR, they provided histroy of the program and tradition. I don't think Coach Thomas was ever a bad guy, he has surrounded himself with a better staff of late. He also relaxed his hardline approach on throwing players off the the team, this also hepled us kept some talent that when he first got there, he would have kicked off the team. He doing alot better now but He still should have been fired for going 0 -11 but I'm glad he has somewhat gotten us back on track and competitive again.

Mr. Tiger said:
He's hired good assistant coaches, John McKenzie and LaTraia Jones. They have recruited better. And he doesn't feel the need to make every coaching decision.

He came to his senses and went and got help,now if he let them do their jobs things will go ok.

I will not bite my tongue,yes I wanted his head and there are still some things that he does that I don't agree with.

Mr. Tiger said:
I think he has done what JSU's James Bell hasn't done. That's learn from his mistakes. He's hired good assistant coaches, John McKenzie and LaTraia Jones. They have recruited better. And he doesn't feel the need to make every coaching decision.

Dr. Thomas did indeed surround himself with QUALITY coaches. I think he's done an outstanding job in getting the right staff and athletes in his program.

:tup:

I never called for his head. Matter of fact I saw how he was building a solid program. IMO he should be the AD because he's a good recruiter, commited to educating players, and has the administrated tools to do a lot for Alcorn. There are other Alcornites out there who could give us more in the coaching arena. I think McKenzie is a better coach.

Thomas is not as stubborn as he use to be either. It's a growing process that he had to go through. He just really didn't know how to adapt to the playing after coming out of the classroom. Plus you have to give credit to the Assitants for their abilities to help revamp a dying program. Alcorn is not the only school that has went through those growing pains.

I'm serious about those 4 coaches in one apartment that was not a joke. I seriously think those Coaches who were Valley alum sold out a few games we lost to Valley. I got proof but it would take to long to break it all down.

It took Dr. Johnny three years before his first winning season. He went 5-6 his first season. Bell is in his third season now.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
yeah the same LaTraia Jones that did a WONDERFUL job for us at Valley...........

Some coaches make good assistants but are not head coach material. And nobody but the great Archie Cooley has won at Valley. It's hard to win there. It's a small school with a small budget and limited facilities. But Valley always plays hard I give you that.

I give Coach Thomas credit for learning and maturing has a head coach. He is recruiting good, has us organized and has us competitive with everyone we play. I have accepted the fact that he will be the head coach for the forseeable future, but I'm still not sure that he can get us over the hump to championship status. While I very much hope he proves me wrong and does get us over the hump I respect the program he has built and have no desire to see him fired. I think to many times in college and high school sports good men are run off for being good but not great, we have to start respecting how hard it is to win championships and respect the hard work that goes into having a good team that we can be proud of on and off the field. That said I still wouldn't mind having a few roughnecks on the team to put us over the top.

Back