Alcorn doing big things

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hey Commish Vowels,

Here's an idea. Hire Alcorn's SID Tyrone Broxton and put him over public relations for the SWAC. That way he could make all the SWAC look good instead of just the corn. This guy is light years ahead if you have checked out Alcorn's site. The conference needs him more than Alcorn.

THAMES said:
Hey Commish Vowels,

Here's an idea. Hire Alcorn's SID Tyrone Broxton and put him over public relations for the SWAC. That way he could make all the SWAC look good instead of just the corn. This guy is light years ahead if you have checked out Alcorn's site. The conference needs him more than Alcorn.

Hey leave our SID alone. Let the SWAC find their own.

Thanks for the Alcorn update. I can remember when it took weeks before knowing how recruiting went for the "Corn. Now, we get info the day after confirmation. It's good to have the schedule at hand also. This way, the fans can plan their trips to see the Braves. Cleveland, Ohio is not a bad place to see a good game of football. Sounds like this year, the Purple & Gold will light up the field at Cleveland Brown Stadium.

I also would like to send out accolades to Alcorn's SID. There is one area that I would like to see more emphasis: I would like to see SID Broxton forward his stories and other official information on to the state and local papers (i.e. Clarion Ledger, Natchez Democrat, etc.).

Unfortunately, there is very little information about Alcorn Sports by these newspapers and they have always said that they solicit information from schools but they don't respond. Given the ease of the internet, local papers should receive all of these wonderful stories that are available on the Alcorn Athletic Website. Again, Thanks SID Broxton for your prompt coverage of Alcorn Athletics (Men & Women)!!!

Sometimes its tough to get media coverage in newspapers because they have their own agenda. You can send them everything and they either don't have room or may have something more important to put in. That's why websites came about. It is the newspaper for your school. Everything you want or should need is there. I'm sure Mr. Broxton sends information out...its the editor's choice on what goes in not his.

The Natchez Democrat does a tremendous job with covering Alcorn. In the features section of the website you normally find stories that are written in that paper. The Clarion Ledger and Vicksburg Post should beb ashamed of themselves. Especially the Ledger...they have a much larger staff but rarely have anything about Alcorn.

But I enjoy reading the stories on the site...they're very in depth...its almost like you're there. He's a young kid...Alcorn and the SWAC surely will miss him whenever he decided to leave. Its ashame we as black people have trouble keeping talented people around at our black institutions.

Word on the street is that the baseball field is going to be complete for next season.

www.alcornsports.com

Charles Sidman

I'll speak out on football as I-AA.org publisher. Alcorn State had a great SID (now at Grambling), now another one. The SWAC has a good one too. They (Alcorn, Grambling, SWAC) all get the info out to us and we put it out nationally. Sure, its not local ink but those sources lead the SWAC in football info. received by us. We have our columnists but not much else. This is no slight to the other SWAC football sports info. departments because I work with each one. Tyrone, Peter and Wallace work their fingers to the bone for the pigskin and are consistent in getting us the reports.

Ralph said:
I'll speak out on football as I-AA.org publisher. Alcorn State had a great SID (now at Grambling), now another one. The SWAC has a good one too. They (Alcorn, Grambling, SWAC) all get the info out to us and we put it out nationally. Sure, its not local ink but those sources lead the SWAC in football info. received by us. We have our columnists but not much else. This is no slight to the other SWAC football sports info. departments because I work with each one. Tyrone, Peter and Wallace work their fingers to the bone for the pigskin and are consistent in getting us the reports.

Thanks Ralph...it's good hearing (reading) that our SID's are working to get information out there. I personally appreciate your efforts to include the SWAC and HBCU's over on AGS. Stay in touch and I'll also visit over there from time to time.

Now ... as I recall, when Peter was at Alcorn he had a young guy as an assistant, what happened to him...i also know that Peter had an assistant who handled a lot of the work with him at Grambling ... he is currently at the valley

Alcorn has had some very good SID's in the past. One has gone on to become the athletic director of Valley. I must say that Mr. Broxton has come with the energy that takes a back door to no one. He is talented and he has helped Alcorn receive extra recognition that they were unable to receive in the past.

The internet and updated websites are a MUST in this day and time. Mr. Broxton has done that better than anyone in the SWAC. After each ballgame, the information is there (Including box scores) within the next day. The internet IS the key to bring about a more balanced playing field when trying to delve out information.

With that said, there are still many from our communities that are not "connected" or surf the 'net. They learn of news the old-fashioned way (television or newspaper) and this information must be "force-fed" to these organizations. Given the great efforts already exhibited by our SID's, several media folks from local newspapers have relented to saying that our schools don't always provide them that information in a timely manner (I've heard this first hand from some of them but don't necessarily believe it). My earlier point was that we need to make sure that these organizations cannot continue to say this with a straight face.

Additionally, our universities should request our local news media to place our schools and conference websites in their papers, websites, etc. This is a cheap way to advertise our conference and schools.

Very nice and well done site Alcorn!!! A lot of the SWAC schools could defintely learn a lesson or two from your website.

:tup: Alcorn. It is good that they are hyping players with a webpage. There is a Bruce Eugene webpage. It has been up for over a year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MACHIAVELLI said:
Over 100k people viewed the site..some people saw it

Over 100K <b>hits</b> or 100K <b>client-systems</b> Mach? Don't confuse the man even more (or lie ;) ). lol :gift:

Back