5 Most Intriguing SWAC Games in 2016

The Founder

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sp...0/5-most-intriguing-swac-games-2016/87332876/

Alcorn State at Grambling, Sept. 24
A rematch of the 2015 conference title game in September? This seems like a perfect place to start with for the top games in the SWAC. Alcorn State roughed up Grambling last December with a 49-21 win to take home the championship, and the Tigers haven't forgotten that loss. Alcorn and Prairie View A&M have been picked as the preseason favorites, so Grambling will want to make an early statement that it is still the team to beat. The early date marks the first time the two teams will meet in the regular season since last year's 35-34 thriller in Mississippi when Grambling won on a blocked extra point and subsequently produced tears from GSU coach Broderick Fobbs.

Grambling vs. Prairie View A&M, State Fair Classic, Oct. 1
The annual rivalry in Dallas takes on new heights this year now that Prairie View has the label as the team to beat in the SWAC. If 2015's thriller was any indication, this early October meeting should once again produce eye popping numbers. Grambling held of Prairie View last year in a game that featured 854 total yards and 124 points. Grambling's defense should be more improved, but Prairie View returns several key pieces to an offense that led the SWAC in points and yards.

Grambling vs. Southern, Bayou Classic, Nov. 26
Most years, this is the top attraction in the SWAC. That's not to say the Bayou Classic has lost its luster, because it hasn't. However, Southern is slightly behind Alcorn State, Prairie View and Grambling in the SWAC arms race. From Grambling's point of view, this is always the biggest game of the year, although the previous two games listed certainly pack a powerful punch this year. Neither team has an open date heading into the Bayou Classic — this is almost unheard of in the rivalry — so that adds a different twist to this Thanksgiving weekend game.

Alcorn State at Prairie View A&M, Nov. 5
Depending on what happens with Alcorn-Grambling and Grambling-Prairie View earlier in the year, this game could set up as SWAC title game preview. The preseason favorites meet in Texas late in the year in what will be billed as one of the must-see matchups of the year. Prairie View handed Alcorn State a 34-30 loss in 2015. Alcorn will have its eyes set on revenge regardless of positioning in the conference race.

Alabama State at Alcorn State, Sept. 10
As the two-time defending SWAC champions, Alcorn has run through the league without many challenges in the East Division. Both of the Braves' losses in 2015 came from the West Division via Grambling and Prairie View. Could this be the year Alabama State, which has lingered in second the last two years, makes a move back to the top? Although the game is in Mississippi, Alabama State could make a huge early statement by knocking off Alcorn.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The SWAC All-Conference selections show we aren't behind anyone in the "arms race", but I'm glad we'll be underdogs this season.

Oh but no sir. Prairie View is the underdog in 100% of its games, especially the first game vs sTu.

Texas Southern is favored in the game vs Prairie View and I'm not joking or smacking at all. We are the underdog in the game due to the surprise-factor of coach Haywood and staff w/ new schemes that we've never seen before coupled w/ the talent they brought in.

Oh but no sir. Prairie View is the underdog in 100% of its games, especially the first game vs sTu.

Texas Southern is favored in the game vs Prairie View and I'm not joking or smacking at all. We are the underdog in the game due to the surprise-factor of coach Haywood and staff w/ new schemes that we've never seen before coupled w/ the talent they brought in.

Lol yall were pick to win the Swac by coaches. Yall are not the underdog lol

I watched this Mike Haywood in his debut keep a MAC stellar Miami Ohio team in the game for #4 Florida in 09 or 10. Although they lost, that man coached his *** off. I told y'all Hopson would do what he did the day he was hired because I knew about his knowledge of gulf coast and river parish ties, and now I am warning y'all about Haywood. I have followed him long enough to know that he has the ability to win at sTu and pull off a few upsets this year. Mark it.

I watched this Mike Haywood in his debut keep a MAC stellar Miami Ohio team in the game for #4 Florida in 09 or 10. Although they lost, that man coached his *** off. I told y'all Hopson would do what he did the day he was hired because I knew about his knowledge of gulf coast and river parish ties, and now I am warning y'all about Haywood. I have followed him long enough to know that he has the ability to win at sTu and pull off a few upsets this year. Mark it.

If TxSU gets it together, the West is going to be a demonic terror.

BOTH Texas schools, Gram, AND SU? Thats death row waiting to happen.

We're not stupid at PV. We know what we're up against. That's why myself, others, & the staff understand that sTu has the advantage because they have the "surprise" factor on their side, like PV had last year.

They have the most motivation of any team in the SWAC to come down and win the first EVER LDC in the brand new PV stadium and be the first team to ever win at the new PV stadium, we can never get that back if they pull off a win

They have the most motivation of any team in the SWAC to come down and win the first EVER LDC in the brand new PV stadium and be the first team to ever win at the new PV stadium, we can never get that back if they pull off a win

Precisely. That has nothing to do w/ superfluous pre-season rankings.

It was definitely 2010, because 2009 would have drilled them with no problems.They had a good showing, but 2010 was a major rebuilding season for Florida. Florida was only ranked No.4 pre-season because of the previous 4 seasons of success. 2010 was the season without Tebow, Harvin, Hernandez, and a ton of other superstars on both offense and defense, plus Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong were no longer a part of the staff.They did a decent job of not getting run out the stadium, but I wouldn't put much stock into a season-opening game against a rebuilding team replacing a ton of stuff with a burnt out coach at the helm.

Last edited:
Every new coaching staff brings the surprise factor when nobody has film on the schemes they will be running. That still does not discount the fact that PV is expected to not only win that game but to win the Swac. You are Not the underdog. Regardless games are won on the field. And to be honest the surprise factor isn't what's scary. What's scary is knowing exactly what a team will be running and still not being able to stop it. That's what Simmons brings and nobody has stopped him yet so yall PV people need to cut the bs lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I guess coach Simmons fell off his rocker too because he himself stated that we are the underdog in the game vs sTu. We are not emotionally stupid & driven by pre-season rhetorical hype at Prairie View A&M University.

I've seen new coach schemes work great in the first game to where the opposing team look flustered

CL Whittington for 1 half at PV as they led 3-0 in 2003
Broadway 2007 at Alcorn State
Ernest Collins 2008 vs. SE Louisiana

it's no reason A&M vs Prairie View shouldn't be on the list ...but I have to consider the source not doing their proper research lol

It was a shootout last year down in Texas

this year it's the 7th annual LCC under the lights in Normal... not to mention our first home game which is always well attended....it's going to be live on "the hill"

Last edited:
it's no reason A&M vs Prairie View shouldn't be on the list ...but I have to consider the source not during their proper research lol
It was a shootout last year down in Texas
this year it's the 7th annual LCC under the lights in Normal... not to mention our first home game which is always well attended....it's going to be live on "the hill"

+1. Y'all have Mr Ballard and clone of Mr Lanier. Like I said earlier, we're not stupid on The Hill.

number1 said:
It was definitely 2010, because 2009 would have drilled them with no problems.They had a good showing, but 2010 was a major rebuilding season for Florida. Florida was only ranked No.4 pre-season because of the previous 4 seasons of success. 2010 was the season without Tebow, Harvin, Hernandez, and a ton of other superstars on both offense and defense, plus Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong were no longer a part of the staff.They did a decent job of not getting run out the stadium, but I wouldn't put much stock into a season-opening game against a rebuilding team replacing a ton of stuff with a burnt out coach at the helm.
I agree, but the fact remains that Haywood coached his *** off against and SEC program with below average MAC talent. I know a good coach when I see one. Haywood is the truth. sTu won't be a joke after this season. Spady might be the only coach I could be wrong about in my "this dude can coach and telling you" predictions. We shall see.

+1. Y'all have Mr Ballard and clone of Mr Lanier. Like I said earlier, we're not stupid on The Hill.

lmaooooo man nevermind us we ain't got nobody...I'm mad spady brought Big Averee smiling azz to bham... probably ran the car down on meridian st and kicked another player out the vehicle.

Last edited:
Back