2015 SWAC/MEAC vs FBS Upset Chances?

It would take a monumental effort but hopefully proper intellectual gameplanning coupled w/ individual drives to come together and play team ball while executing the gameplan flawlessly will occur.

I'm pulling for all, OOC. Good luck to all.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I know FAMU football hasn't been great over the past couple of seasons and beating USF is a tough task. We always hold out hope, and it never happens.

However, USF is on the level of a FIU or FAU right now. They lost to McNeese State 53-21 two seasons ago, then struggled to beat an FCS bottom dweller, Western Carolina last season. I believe USF was only able to beat them 36-31, and WCU has only had three winning seasons in past 15 years.

USF is also 6-18 under WIllie Taggart.

On the flip side, USF has completely overhauled their coaching staff. Taggart replaced his Offensive and Defensive coordinators in the offseason. Hopefully, Coach Wood can find the magic formula and pull of the upset or have the Rattlers put up a good fight.

I know FAMU football hasn't been great over the past couple of seasons and beating USF is a tough task. We always hold out hope, and it never happens.

However, USF is on the level of a FIU or FAU right now. They lost to McNeese State 53-21 two seasons ago, then struggled to beat an FCS bottom dweller, Western Carolina last season. I believe USF was only able to beat them 36-31, and WCU has only had three winning seasons in past 15 years.

USF is also 6-18 under WIllie Taggart.

On the flip side, USF has completely overhauled their coaching staff. Taggart replaced his Offensive and Defensive coordinators in the offseason. Hopefully, Coach Wood can find the magic formula and pull of the upset or have the Rattlers put up a good fight.
So now compare your struggles to theirs.

So now compare your struggles to theirs.

We'll be fine. USF fans are in panic mode and ready to get rid of Taggart. To be honest, USF is just a few years removed from being considered the next big program in Florida and has had a monumental collapse. There's a reason he turned his entire coaching staff over.

Now did they have the issue of firing a coach mid-season and having an unqualified AD like Kellen Winslow Sr.? No, they didn't. Are they currently trying to pick themselves up off the floor? Absolutely.

Now I'm not predicting a victory over USF, because they are clearly more talented have have much better depth than we are, as the majority of FBS programs are.

We'll be fine. USF fans are in panic mode and ready to get rid of Taggart. To be honest, USF is just a few years removed from being considered the next big program in Florida and has had a monumental collapse. There's a reason he turned his entire coaching staff over.

Now did they have the issue of firing a coach mid-season and having an unqualified AD like Kellen Winslow Sr.? No, they didn't. Are they currently trying to pick themselves up off the floor? Absolutely.

Now I'm not predicting a victory over USF, because they are clearly more talented have have much better depth than we are, as the majority of FBS programs are.
Oh ok. I was just wondering since a lot of the weaknesses you pointed out about them would apply to FAMU, who won less games than they did last year.

if there was a new mexico state on someone's schedule then we could insert a possible upset as NMSU recruits the same kids we do but is the lone FBS offer

the weak fbs teams in the south like ulm aren't as easy to beat as they get more borderline FBS kids and have a better recruiting area

Jarin will play vs mtsu I think even if only for a series. I've watched him since his arrival to jsu. He's extremely accurate and cerebral but doesn't have the arm strength to throw a 70 + yard bomb. He was slightly flustered under pressure in the spring, I have no idea how he'll adjust to game speed, especially since we are playing an fbs team. He'll make some errors I'm sure. I honestly think lyles would've played some this year.

Old JSU fans acting like Ivy had a backup QB last year besides Lyles and they were not going to use his redshirt for a few back up plays but Ivy got tired in every game last year and didn't have a reliable back up and now we do have 1 reliable back up because Lyles is medical for this entire season. Do you know think if Ivy cant move the ball in the first quarter that we well use him the entire game Nope, if Ivy get sacked at least 3 time in the first quarter will not be used on a non conf game folks...... No one didn't say he wasn't the starter again smart not to use your only QB for non conf full 4 quarter games! MTSU secondary lives off long pass and INT's don't think Ivy is going to be sitting back in the pocket throwing 30-40-50 yards not going to happen! We only need 5-7 yard passes maybe some 12-15 yards everything else has to be established in running the ball you got to be 50/50! and play defense 4 quarters

Old JSU fans acting like Ivy had a backup QB last year besides Lyles and they were not going to use his redshirt for a few back up plays but Ivy got tired in every game last year and didn't have a reliable back up and now we do have 1 reliable back up because Lyles is medical for this entire season. Do you know think if Ivy cant move the ball in the first quarter that we well use him the entire game Nope, if Ivy get sacked at least 3 time in the first quarter will not be used on a non conf game folks...... No one didn't say he wasn't the starter again smart not to use your only QB for non conf full 4 quarter games! MTSU secondary lives off long pass and INT's don't think Ivy is going to be sitting back in the pocket throwing 30-40-50 yards not going to happen! We only need 5-7 yard passes maybe some 12-15 yards everything else has to be established in running the ball you got to be 50/50! and play defense 4 quarters

Ivy did have a backup last year. The Ole Miss transfer.

Idk what any of this means or if you are disagreeing or agreeing with me but ivy is our guy, mtsu has a weak secondary and our defense has to play lights out.

Like I said, outside of byard they have 5'9" dbs. Nix wants the dbs to pick up as that is a concern. Their defense gave up points to high powered offenses with a run game.

Idk what any of this means or if you are disagreeing or agreeing with me but ivy is our guy, mtsu has a weak secondary and our defense has to play lights out.

I expect JSU to play tough. MTSU is no Mississippi State. I know many SWAC schools give up to FBS programs before they kick the ball off, but I have seen two different FCS schools go into MTSU and win. JSU has the size to fight, and the depth chart to keep the game from turninginto a blowout if this staff is up to the challenge and the players come out believing that they can play with them.

Last edited:
I expect JSU to play tough. MTSU is no Mississippi State. I know many SWAC schools give up to FBS programs before they kick the ball off, but I have seen two different FCS schools go into MTSU and win. JSU has the size to fight, and the depth chart to keep the game from turninginto a blowout if this staff is up to the challenge and the players come out believing that they can play with them.
Same thing I've been saying my guy. MTSU act as if they are MSU. I've heard comments from them saying they are going to blow us out. Wtf??? This still JSU which has a rich football history. Who they think they are. They have two QB's whom did not even show leadership ability last year that's why they are going to run a two QB system on top of a group of young WR. They must been on spice the entire off season.Bum expecting JSU to beat them honestly. They going to overlook JSU jsut has there doing. Honestly JSU is loaded and in my opinion JSU has the upper hand because MTSU is very uncertain about there offense and they are not even a dominant MTSU just average has to Tulane was in 2013 but I'm expecting a upset all JSU has to do is attack there weakness and execute all downs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A win over Kansas State or Mississippi State would be help set things off for La Tech if they can run through C-USA.

That's all it takes in this era to get you in the door of a major bowl game or even a respectable bowl vs a P5 team. It's a no brainer. Hawaii and Northern Illinois both proved that things can happen with a weak conference schedule but 1 win over a P5. In the CFP era, it's easier for a non P5 team to get a crack at a major bowl game.

Same thing I've been saying my guy. MTSU act as if they are MSU. I've heard comments from them saying they are going to blow us out. Wtf??? This still JSU which has a rich football history. Who they think they are. They have two QB's whom did not even show leadership ability last year that's why they are going to run a two QB system on top of a group of young WR. They must been on spice the entire off season.Bum expecting JSU to beat them honestly. They going to overlook JSU jsut has there doing. Honestly JSU is loaded and in my opinion JSU has the upper hand because MTSU is very uncertain about there offense and they are not even a dominant MTSU just average has to Tulane was in 2013 but I'm expecting a upset all JSU has to do is attack there weakness and execute all downs.

What forums you all reading for MTSU?

I dnt care what nobody say, Ivy will not finish the season. Coach Jackson is giving him the lead but he's not taking advantage of it. People looking at the stats he put up but that's fine but at the end of the day he's still telegraphing his receivers, holding the ball to long letting receivers get out of route and not spreading the ball around among his receivers. If our own defense is exploiting him then you can imagine what other teams will do especially MTSU and TnSU secondary.

Those highlights of MTSU's camp should be encouraging for JSU. Lol. As you can clearly see, they aren't Mississippi State.

I hope JSU upsets them, but I do think JSU can lose in a respectable showing.

Back